D&D (2024) Mike Mearls “…it’s now obvious how to live without Bonus Actions”' And 6th Edition When Players Ask

With all due respect to Mike Mearls, he is wrong. The action economy in 5th Edition is beautifully designed, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

With all due respect to Mike Mearls, he is wrong. The action economy in 5th Edition is beautifully designed, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

dagger

Adventurer
Action economy discussions are just the latest iteration of weapon speed factors, spell casting segments and "but I can do more than that in sixty seconds!" debates of AD&D. Please, with the "role-play" vs "roll-play" moralizing.

Our 1e/2e games didnt and dont have this issue, but we use a modified version of Moldvay Basic with each side rolling d6, higher roll wins, ties are simultaneous.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Our 1e/2e games didnt and dont have this issue, but we use a modified version of Moldvay Basic with each side rolling d6, higher roll wins, ties are simultaneous.

Not every gaming group will have\had issues with those (and other) mechanics from earlier editions, just like many 5e groups have no problems with bonus actions. But the point of the parallels in such discussions - when they do come up - remains.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I didn't want to return to this thread, but I just hit another moment of wishing for keyword blocks. I like and think we need the plain english, and it needs to be correct, but I do yearn for blocks that are easy to reference to make things programmatically easy.

In about 1-2 years I would be exited for a 5.5 Edition that cleaned up some of the rules like TWF, Warlocks, and other such things. If that includes a few bonus action abilities becoming baseline, that's also fine with me (just not all bonus action abilities).

Remove ads

Remove ads