Expanding reactions in 5e

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'd like to see a Fighter sub-class with multiple Reactions that can be used for only one thing, similar to the 4e Fighter. His "action" would be limited to something like an MBA: If anybody tries to get away from me, I smack him as he goes". I'm not sure what he would give up in return - maybe some Extra Attacks?

I can see a Chronomancer with more Reactions and more options for them, but that faces the problem of "it's ALWAYS my turn, even when it's your turn". The rest of the table will get bored because he is a natural spotlight hog.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6848185]CubicsRube[/MENTION] I had a similar desire to expand on reactions in order to add some strategy to the round and because I find reactions are rarely used in games I play or run. My idea was to provide a specific kind of reaction based on your class. I'll try and dig 'em up and post them here for review. Might get some creative juices flowing. I think the main issue I had was thinking of a unique reaction for every class. I had most classes covered, but not all of them.

I would be a little wary of introducing unlimited reactions that have a good chance to let a character negate attacks, like the pillar idea. Pillars would become really popular and fights really long, perhaps.

The first grapple idea just requires allowing a grapple as an OA, that is very simple :) In response to an attack, that seems pretty potent, I guess all your combatants would end up grappling. Which is maybe kind of realistic, but I'm not sure it would be that much fun.

Just to be clear im not talking about adding reactions. So a character still only gets one per turn. It creates a choice for the pc. But for a choice to be needed, there must be options.

Ues a character or mpnster could hide behind a pillar, but then the kther sode has trhe optipn of attackiong someone else, or readying an action to attack the characyer/monster that comes out from the pillar on their turn

[MENTION=59848]Hawk Diesel[/MENTION] - thanks! Thatd be really cool.

I think wizards and a few other spellcasters dont necessarily meed them as they often have a few reaction spells, but as common in d&d, the martial classes miss out :(

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
One that I've seen is: if you get knocked off a cliff or into another dangerous area, you can use your Reaction to grab onto the ledge.

5ekyu

Hero
What if there more options in 5e that characters could use as their reaction? Would characters eat people?

Some things like being able to move 5', or shove an enemy back shouldn't be game breaking, and i like the idea of giving players an option to do something in response to what's going on around them.

What do y'all think?
I think right now if you use ready action you can get a wide latotude of triggers and any action or less activity as a reaction from it, including move and shove, so not sure how much wide it needs to get.

S

Sunseeker

I like the ideas someone said earlier that there should be some "Simple" options for everyone and then some "Martial" options for the more combat-oriented classes.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
What if there more options in 5e that characters could use as their reaction? Would characters eat people?

Some things like being able to move 5', or shove an enemy back shouldn't be game breaking, and i like the idea of giving players an option to do something in response to what's going on around them.

What do y'all think?

emphasis added

I totally lost track of the theme of this thread because that one question

Mad_Jack

Legend

emphasis added

I totally lost track of the theme of this thread because that one question

Yes, I think characters should be allowed to eat people as a reaction. Once per turn when somebody does something that irritates the hell out of you, your head expands to an enormous size, your arms grow longer, and you can grab people and stuff them down your throat whole.

I think right now if you use ready action you can get a wide latotude of triggers and any action or less activity as a reaction from it, including move and shove, so not sure how much wide it needs to get.

Im not sure if youre being serious. Because you know a lot of people arent going to give up an action based on a chance someone will set off the trigger they tried to predict before the turn started.

The idea is that depending o what happens, the characters may have an optio to react to what enemies do. I thought that part was obvious

Remove ads