Curse of Strahd: What is Straud von Zarovich's Title? [SPOILERS ALERT]

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm curious what Strahd's title was before his undeath? Also:

• Does he still use a title for himself? (Apparently not, he does not sign his invitations using a title, for example)
  • What titles would those loyal to him use? (Probably "Count")

5e's Curse of Strahd campaign does not explicitly state Strahd's current title. The only instance of his name used with a title is in the description of treasure in N4q:

Five scrolls — notarized deeds for parcels of land given to the Wachter family by Count Strahd von Zarovich nearly four centuries ago

It is established in Chapter 2 that the current year is 735. "Nearly four centuries ago" is vague, but would be later than the date 335. Strahd conquered the valley in 347, completed the construction of Castle Ravenloft in 350 and died and became a Vampire in 351. It is most likely that the deeds were written between 347 and 350. The land likely granted to the Wachtel family, shortly after he conquered Barovia.

That indicates that he uses the title "Count" right up to before his death. Also the 5e Dungeon Masters Guide, in chapter 2, states:

In remote corners of the Shadowfell, it is easy to reach horrific demiplanes ruled over by accursed beings of terrible evil. The best known of these is the valley of Barovia, overlooked by the towering spires of Castle Ravenloft and ruled by Count Strahd von Zarovich, the first vampire.

This indicates that his title remains "Count.'

But his father was already dead at time Strahd conquered Barovia. Why wouldn't he be King Strahd von Zarovich?

The location names in Castle Ravenloft confuse matters: Map 4 is titled "Court of the Count." Yet there are rooms in the "Court of the Count" named the "King's Hall", the "King's Balcony", the "King's Accountant" (an NPC that acts as Strahd's accountant), and the "King's Apartment" stair. In other areas, there is the "Dining Hall of the Count" but the "Kings Bedchamber". There is nothing to indicate that the names on the map are the names that Srahd actually uses. This could just be Chris Perkins being purposefully vague.

In the "Vampire's History" section of Chapter 1, the books states that "n life, Strahd von Zarovich was a count, a prince, a soldier, and a conqueror."

"Was": Was a "prince", was a "count". But not was a "king." A "count" in continental European countries is analogous to an English "Duke". It is possible to be both a prince and a count. The politics here are a bit beyond me, but I know that the Prince of Wales is referred to as the Duke of Rothesay when visiting Scotland. I suppose, therefore, Strahd could be both a Count, Prince, and heir-apparent to the Barov throne while his father lived. The book goes on to state that:

[a]fter the death of his father, King Barov, Strahd waged long, bloody wars against his family’s enemies. He and his army cornered the last of these enemies in a remote mountain valley before slaying them all. Strahd named the valley Barovia, after his deceased father, and was so struck by its scenic beauty that he decided to settle there.

Also:

I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft. --Tome of Strahd

The implication here is that the King was assassinated or overthrown, which is confirmed in the Tome of Strahd handout:

I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft.

Nowhere does it state that Strahd became King. Perhaps he was not the heir-apparent. We know that he had a younger brother, but even though no other brothers were mentioned, the book doesn't explicitly state that he was the eldest son. Yet, given that he could order his family to move to Barovia, it seems likely that he was.

Another option is that when his father was killed, and his family unseated from their ancient thrones, King Barov's kingdom came to an end. Perhaps Strahd had allied with another King to take vengeance on his enemies and Barovia became a county of the allied Kingdom with Strahd as its Count. That seems unlikely because the book talks about Barovia being settled by people from the many lands he conquered. It seems he once ruled a realm far larger than Barovia.

One can argue that when he became undead, he lost his title (though the DMG entry implies it still applies). A stronger argument would be when Barovia moved to its own demiplane, the old titles were no longer relevant. That is why Barovia is never referred to as "Kingdom" or "County", but simply the "land of Barovia". Perhaps Strahd is beyond titles. He is simply of the land. He is the land.

My assumption when running the adventure is that after his father's kingdom was overthrown, he was able to raise the forces necessary to destroy his families enemies--ending with the slaughter of all remaining enemies in Barovia, which he repopulated with different peoples from the other lands he conquered. He did not have time to properly establish a Kingdom ( a stretch ) - OR - some custom, treaty, prevented him from doing so.

I'm interested in other folks' take on this.

The definition of the various ranks of the peerage (Including "Prince") vary from country to country and age to age.

In the original Ravenloft module he is referred to as Count, but not Prince. But Prince does not necessarily refer to the offspring of a monarch. Machiavelli's book, "The Prince" is really about the Medici - who ruled Milan by virtue of owning everything, rather than hereditary.

If you trace the character back to Vlad the Impaler (Via Count Dracula), Vlad III was definitely a prince in the usual sense, as he was a son of the ruler of Wallachia.

Coroc

Hero
Well classically it was always Count.
Barovia (prime) has ist origins in FR, it would be helpful and interesting to check wether it was a kingdom in FR.
The last two adventures in the hyskosa hexad give some clue where prime barovia is in the FR, i just cannot recall it from Memory atm.

Barovia was never explicitly part of the Forgotten Realms.

The original module makes no mention of the Realms, and suggests that Barovia be located in whatever campaign setting the DM is using.

And I don't believe Barovia was ever mentioned in 2nd edition Forgotten Realms material, It's official location became "The Demiplane of Dread" only a couple of years after the first two adventures where published.

I don't know if it was ever suggested where Barovia was before it was absorbed into the demiplane.

Last edited:

Meh. Barovia is a County, not a country.
It has been ripped from the prime material plane as is.
Nothing to say he is any kind of heir to whatever country his County belonged to.
As for King’s this and King’s that - maybe guest rooms originally? As for King’s Accountant, perhaps every county had such a position to levy taxes ultimately for the King.

In order to be a king, the place your rule has to be a kingdom (and visa versa). Historically they have been many, in modern terms, would be considered nation-states, which where not kingdoms.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6906155]Paul Farquhar[/MENTION] well i cannot find the exact source and maybe i am wrong, maybe i only read somewhere where to put Barovia in FR, but there is one weak and one very strong indicator that Barovia is connected to FR and maybe had ist prime material roots there (which come into Play in roots of evil it is not exactly drawn into the mists but there exists a prime material Barovia parallel), see the cite from FR Wiki below for the indicators i found in a rush:

Cite Form FR Wiki:

The Svalich Woods of Barovia also briefly merged with the Quivering Forest and Twilight Marsh near Phlan in the late 15th century DR.[10] The Vistani nomads of Barovia were known to frequent parts of Faerûn and shared similarities with some Gur, suggesting that the two peoples may be related.

Before it became part of the Demiplane of Dread, one of the two gods worshiped in Barovia was Lathander, though he no longer had any power there after the rise of Strahd, and didn't answer the prayers of his few remaining followers, who remembered only his title of Morninglord since his name has been almost completely forgotten over the centuries of his silence.

End cite

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases