WotC President: D&D Up 30% in 2018; More MtG Crossovers Coming

The background and the lore from the worlds of M:tG is too rich to not be used in D&D but this also has its own past glories.

What do you think about "guest artists" from Innistrad for Ravenloft? I could bet some a almost reboot-retcon because a group of time-traveller PCs caused a second grand conjunction.

Will we see more Hasbro franchises in the D&D universe? For example fantasy version of my little pony/equestria girls, transformers, or G.I.Joe.

AriochQ

Adventurer
True, but it was a product that had a rather severe slump when the fan base fragmented with 4e and Pathfinder. I see this more as a recovery with a newly introduced product - not just a new version, but a new business model (slow and steady) which reduces barrier to entry. My *guess* is that AL is also doing a better job of introducing new players + welcoming returning ones then the 4e in-store initiatives, but I don't have numbers for that.

Too bad AL is being horribly managed by WotC. The recent season 8 changes are not at all welcoming to new players and many veteran AL players are becoming disgruntled. Perhaps they need to start paying attention before it bites them in the a$$.

pogre

Legend
Too bad AL is being horribly managed by WotC. The recent season 8 changes are not at all welcoming to new players and many veteran AL players are becoming disgruntled. Perhaps they need to start paying attention before it bites them in the a$$.

Agreed.
I see a lot of AL events calling for DMs. I think the change in AL rules is a factor in this. New players want to find a game - AL is dropping the ball.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Agreed. I don't play any AL anymore so I've only heard about it second hand, but that second hand is loud about how they made things more restrictive and also killed money in ways that bork character development, plots in game that require funds, and consumables.

ccs

41st lv DM
Anybody remember Spellfire?

Yeah. A poorly crafted game whose biggest draws were the D&D logo & using recycled D&D art.
I also remember their promotion of trading in your MTG cards for Spellfire cards. Why do you ask?

The Big BZ

Explorer
Agreed.
I see a lot of AL events calling for DMs. I think the change in AL rules is a factor in this. New players want to find a game - AL is dropping the ball.
Or could it be that they are calling for DMs because of the level of demand? Spoiler: it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

AriochQ

Adventurer
Or could it be that they are calling for DMs because of the level of demand? Spoiler: it is.

Spoiler: It isn't. My LFGS has fewer tables in season 8 than in season 7. It is due to a lack of players, not DM's. For the last three weeks we have had to combine two tables to meet 3 player minimum requirements. Imagine being a new player and walking into an AL game:

Point buy
PHB+1
ok, we are good so far
oh, you don't get treasure...ever...you just get gold when you level
ummm...ok...
speaking of leveling, you level every 4 hours, or 8 later on so you out level any hardcover content pretty quick...but you can go slow...but you will still likely out level the content
ummm...sure...sort of like the worst version of milestone ever
Now you get it!...also, magic items are look but don't touch. If you want them, you just save up some points and them buy them. Nothing like the excitement of shopping for magic items, amiright?
ummm...so I go through adventures but it doesn't really matter what I do since I level based on play time, don't get gold (or any other treasure) and have zero chance of getting a magic item?
Now you got it! Just the way Gygax intended the game to be played!
[Lighting bolt from above incinerates AL DM]

guachi

Hero
Pure anecdote, but I stopped DMing AL with Season 8 changes being the last straw.

It's less fun to play and less fun to run. It doesn't really feel like D&D. Its only saving grace is that it gives new players a place to play.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases