D&D 1E On Variability, House Rules, Research, and the 1e/5e Difference

5ekyu

Hero
Remembering the days of sending SASE with questions on rules to game designers/publishers and getting handwritten answers and realizing many reading this will have to google SASE to see what it means.

"Real GMs Go By The Book." actual 2e advertising poster displayed inside B. Dalton and Waldenbooks book stores when 2e came out.

S'mon

Legend
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] - I don't think my campaign was typical once we got into deity level play, but at the lower levels I don't think it was necessarily less typical than yours. I didn't play Gygax's Isle of the Ape back in the day, but reading it years later certainly reminded me of my late '80s games. Yes UA was a big power up for PCs - but when it comes to magic items you only have to look at the items given to NPCs in 1e adventures, or the items assigned by the DMG NPC adventurer items table, to see how item-drenched 1e was.

There was not a lot of 2e IMC afaicr - maybe [MENTION=326]Upper_Krust[/MENTION] can correct me, but I think we just used the 2e Bard class and the 2e monster XP numbers. Maybe the THAC0 tables. 1e Cavaliers normally cap at 3 attacks, but I took it up to 4, taking a leaf from BECMI.

S'mon

Legend
and that's before talking about non-standard PC races, like gold dragons. :)

I think that dragon PC lasted 1 or 2 35 minute lunchtime sessions before being killed by the Illithid abomination. :D

Gygax talks about monster PCs in the 1e DMG and there is a pic of a dragon PC fighting kobolds, so it wasn't totally out there. In 2e of course we had Council of Wyrms, with far more powerful dragon PCs.

So one more thing I forgot to mention while including my list about the dangers of extrapolating 1e to 5e is, perhaps, the most common; the fallibility of memory.

This is a side issue that often comes up when researching the history of the game; for example, when you're looking at original source documents from the 1970s and into the 1980s, you often deal with the issue that source material that contradict what people later describe to be the case. One easy example is the likely impact of Leonard Patt's game (based on Tolkein) on Chainmail. People forget, memories lie.

Heck, I know that from personal experience. I used to swear, up and down (pre-internet), that the first D&D module I played was B3 (The Lost City) with Zargon, and I know, I just know that I have memories of that.

But they weren't real. B3 was published in 1982, years after my first game. I had conflated the memory of my first game with playing B3, and I only realized that after I once looking up the date of publication and realized I was wrong.

I happen to recall a bit about 1e since that was my preferred ruleset until about, oh, three years ago. But the desire to bring aspects of play from the past on to 5e is not necessarily a desire to bring the actual past, but a desire to bring the remembered past, which may not always be the same thing.

Fallibility of memory indeed!! B3 was Palace of the Silver Princess, The Lost City was B4. :lol:

Ok, that link is insane and those players had way too much time on their hands or were way too generous with XP, etc., though I heard stories of those types of teenage gaming groups that handed out XP like candy on Halloween. But in all my years of playing 1E/2E, no party ever went past the low teens for level, and that was in campaigns that lasted years and were played weekly. I also think all those games used some or most of the 1E Unearthed Arcana without breaking anything. I also remember one campaign used a mixture of 1E and 2e because of the timing of the release of 2E, but campaigns after that one set aside the 1E books and used purely 2E only. I also never played in a campaign or with a group that was running the old Basic boxed sets, or who mixed any of the Basic stuff in with 1E, unless any of the houserules came from there and I did not know it.

Remove ads