Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Kickstarter is not a store. It's to fund projects people want to support. The fact that it has shifted towards being a pre-order storefront for some projects is moving away from it's purpose.

The benefit of crowdfunding over pre-orders is that it measures depth of support. So if you are selling a book, a casual customer and a devoted super-fan pay the same. Maybe you can also release a deluxe limited edition to get at that difference somewhat, but it's still pretty inflexible. Crowdfunding allows a sliding scale of fans to support at a whole variety of levels. Plus many of them, quite often the strongest supporters, are FAR more interested in the project being successful, than in any rewards. The rewards are bonus, not the purpose. They aren't pre-ordering anything, they are supporting a project.

sim-h

Explorer
The Veronica Mars Film gave you T-Shirt, script, film poster, digital version and DVD/blu-ray physical copy with making of documentary for $100

CR gives you some dice in a bag and a pack of cards, stickers, an art print and five song downloads for the same $100

It's the worst value I've seen on a KS I've been interested in. That's my subjective opinion, ignore it if it upsets you.

Sure but the pricing of those Kickstarters reflected much more the cost of the physical end product/s you were getting. It was more like paying a product in advance.

From the Veronica Mars movie said:
Pledge $35 or more
You will receive a digital version of the movie within a few days of the movie’s theatrical debut, plus the T-shirt, plus the pdf of the shooting script.

In bulk a t-shirt is $4-5 or less. The digital release and PDF of the shooting script are basically free. So the producers net $30-31 on this tier. That's over 80% that goes into other stuff: -9% for KS's cut and that number is right in line with the CR KS.

From the MST3K kickstarter said:
Pledge $50 or more
EXPERIMENT 050: SHIRTY THE SHIRT SPRITE

Stop! Everybody go up a shirt size, then slip into your OFFICIAL MST3K KICKSTARTER T-SHIRT*, made of the finest hand-spun cotton.** Available in sizes XS-XXL, or up to 5XL for a little more***, you'll be the envy of those elitists on the catwalks of Milan.

Plus, we'll throw in an exclusive set of MST3K KICKSTARTER stickers… perfect for ruining laptops and defacing public property.

Even more profit unless those stickers are gilded.

dave2008

Legend
Sure but the pricing of those Kickstarters reflected much more the cost of the physical end product/s you were getting. It was more like paying a product in advance. As some of the comments above acknowledge, the pledge levels for the CR cartoon do not come close to being 'value for money' in terms of goodies gotten, although that's of course a matter of opinion.

[edit] the campaign already clearly states that 74% of the funds raised are for the animation production. So my issue is, that's too high. Needlessly high given the success of the campaign.

It costs between $500,000-$1,000,000 (Avatar the Last Airbender) per episode to produce a quality 22 minute animation (typical half-hour TV spot). With the numbers they provided, they expect each episode to cost about $562,5000. That is on the low-end of cost for this type of production. So why do you think the goals are too high?

Last edited by a moderator:

Asgorath

Explorer
The Veronica Mars Film gave you T-Shirt, script, film poster, digital version and DVD/blu-ray physical copy with making of documentary for $100

CR gives you some dice in a bag and a pack of cards, stickers, an art print and five song downloads for the same $100

It's the worst value I've seen on a KS I've been interested in. That's my subjective opinion, ignore it if it upsets you.

They've been pretty clear that they are still figuring out the final distribution model. It's entirely possible that they will given all the backers a digital download key, or only those above a certain threshold, etc. I'm glad they're not wasting money on physical discs, I have absolutely no desire for a physical copy of this.

You seem to be missing the point of this whole endeavor, which is to help them actually make an animated series. Seeing that is reward enough for me, and is high on my "reward value" scale. I didn't back this to get a cool poster or t-shirt.

dave2008

Legend
But hey, not my problem! Has there been a precedent of this sort of thing on KS?

For what?
For funding movies where backers get no rights to the product: Yes, several
For funding movies where backers get rights to the product: None that I know of.

[edit] the campaign already clearly states that 74% of the funds raised are for the animation production. So my issue is, that's too high. Needlessly high given the success of the campaign.

Go watch Update #8 on the kickstarter. Matt says they are also kicking in their own money to pay for this. The Kickstarter is not the only source of funding.

Also, you are doing a valuation from your end based solely on the physical value to you. I'm sure the majoring of critters pledging are doing a valuation on how much the thousands of hours of existing streaming has enriched them in some manner. This is basically the first opportunity the critters have had to pay critical role back directly (not through charitable donation, not by buying licensed miniatures) for all the good will they've built up. They want to see the Briarwood Arc in cartoon color just as much as the cast does.

If that's not something you feel, then the kickstarter isn't really for you.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing

It's the worst value I've seen on a KS I've been interested in.
As others have said, Kickstarter isn't a store...nothing there is for sale, per se. As you have noticed, it's a terrible place to buy stuff...mostly because there isn't much "stuff" to "buy." However, it's an excellent place to donate money to help fund creative projects because Kickstarter's policies help prevent rampant abuse, and some creators might even give little (emphasis on "little") rewards for donating. Usually these rewards are non-tangible, like a nod or mention in the credits. Sometimes it's a copy of the work, or rarely, a little collectible trinket or something.

But to your original post about whether or not Kickstarter was the right way to do this?

It sounds like Travis and Sam met with "dozens" of Hollywood executives and pitched the idea to them. For whatever reason, didn't like the offers they got. If I had to guess, these studios either thought it was too risky to take on the initial $750K investment, or they wanted to leverage more creative control over the final cartoon than Critical Role was comfortable with. So to get funding AND maintain creative control over their project, they turned to crowdfunding. And if you are looking for crowdfunding, Kickstarter is the largest platform on the Internet.

Whether or not this was the "right way" to go about it, only time will tell. I think the Kickstarter's current backing level speaks for itself.

Shameless plug: if you are looking for a place to buy dice, t-shirts, stuffed animals, and other Critical Role swag, don't go to Kickstarter. They have their own online store for that...check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As others have said, Kickstarter isn't a store...nothing there is for sale, per se. As you have noticed, it's a terrible place to buy stuff...mostly because there isn't much "stuff" to "buy." However, it's an excellent place to donate money to help fund creative projects because Kickstarter's policies help prevent rampant abuse, and some creators might even give little (emphasis on "little") rewards for donating. Usually these rewards are non-tangible, like a nod or mention in the credits. Sometimes it's a copy of the work, or rarely, a little collectible trinket or something.

But to your original post about whether or not Kickstarter was the right way to do this?

It sounds like Travis and Sam met with "dozens" of Hollywood executives and pitched the idea to them. For whatever reason, didn't like the offers they got. If I had to guess, these studios either thought it was too risky to take on the initial $750K investment, or they wanted to leverage more creative control over the final cartoon than Critical Role was comfortable with. So to get funding AND maintain creative control over their project, they turned to crowdfunding. And if you are looking for crowdfunding, Kickstarter is the largest platform on the Internet.

Whether or not this was the "right way" to go about it, only time will tell. I think the Kickstarter's current backing level speaks for itself.

Shameless plug: if you are looking for a place to buy dice, t-shirts, stuffed animals, and other Critical Role swag, don't go to Kickstarter. They have their own online store for that...check it out!

"Donate" isn't the right word, really. As neither is "invest." Crowd-funding basically boils down to a new category, really. And while rewards are not a given, they are usual for successful projects.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Themed playing cards will often sell for $15-20 a set. Dice sets will sell for $15-20 a set. Beanies can easily sell for $15-20 ($100 stretch goal includes a beanie, recall), let alone limited run collectibles. Is it priced to afford a comfortable profit to fund the project, yes. But for limited edition swag? Not so bad.

Remove ads

Remove ads