Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I wonder...

With the racial demographics of Atlanta in general being what they are, I wonder if the attendees at geek events like that are still predominantly Caucasian.

Yes. I would say it seems like the national average at the cons I've been to. Latinos are not as highly represented though.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I started thinking about it. I think the conventions come down to disposable income, and what you're willing to spend it on. While fandom crosses racial lines, income isn't always the same.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but Atlanta is more than 50% black, with a fairly large upper class. So while disposable income is a factor, obviously, there’s obviously others at work.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I haven't been to a con in about 10 years. Things could have changed. What I know is the suburbs are still mostly white and that's where many con goers come from. Mostly in the Northern suburbs where I live. DragonCon gets international visitors. I've met Brits, Germans, and Aussies. All white. I think conventions maybe seen by many as a white thing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't been to a con in about 10 years. Things could have changed. What I know is the suburbs are still mostly white and that's where many con goers come from. Mostly in the Northern suburbs where I live. DragonCon gets international visitors. I've met Brits, Germans, and Aussies. All white. I think conventions maybe seen by many as a white thing.
Well, RPG gaming is still seen as a mostly white thing where I live...but where I live, damn near everything is mostly white unless it involves LatinX. :D

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Well, RPG gaming is still seen as a mostly white thing where I live...but where I live, damn near everything is mostly white unless it involves LatinX. :D

Every time I hear latinx I think of Kleenex. I don't know why.

I don't go into the urban areas and I don't socialize with urban people much anymore. Inside of Atlanta I know of one FLGS. There are 6 within 10 miles of where I live. One is about a mile away.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
At first I was thinking it would be like matter and anti matter [electron - positron reaction] but i think it would be more like sodium and water and rip a hole in space time creating a rift between here and a dimension where neither Coke or Pepsi exists.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Every time I hear latinx I think of Kleenex. I don't know why.

I don't go into the urban areas and I don't socialize with urban people much anymore. Inside of Atlanta I know of one FLGS. There are 6 within 10 miles of where I live. One is about a mile away.

I’d be surprised if there were a bunch in Atl. I live in the Dallas area, and most of the comics and/or gaming stores are in the ‘Burbs. The last FLGS I knew of in Dallas proper went out of business a decade ago, and was in a mall that is currently slated for demolition.

Part of that location factor is demographics, no doubt, but I also know (from talking to owners & managers) that rent and taxes play a big part in where they choose to be.

Remove ads