YouGov D&D Alignment Survey - how many Britons identify as Chaotic Evil?

S'mon

Legend
C’mon, S’mon!

You’ve never been handed a questionnaire that you had no interest in and considered not taking your answers seriously- answering at random- or deciding to mess with the results intentionally?

Now imagine being chaotic evil, with that mindset as your default...

Well I do think more than 2% of the population are likely to be close to D&D 'evil', though the kind of people who helpfully fill in surveys may skew to lawful good I suspect.

jasper

Rotten DM
How much does anyone want to bet that Chaotic Evil Britons lied and self-IDed as other alignments

1) to remain concealed
2) to skew the polling
3) to sow chaos and uncertainty
4) for chutes* and giggles
5) all of the above

* weeeelllll, not so much “chutes”...

Um "Chutes" does not translate to American. Please explain.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't believe anyone who kills animals for fun can qualify as Good.

Except...

In the US, we have an unfortunate lack of natural predators. Except in some very limited areas of the country, wolves just aren't around any more. Deer, however, are.

Prey, sans predators, become a problem. The prey species overpopulates, overgrazes, does damage to the forest ecosystem, experiences famine, has issues with disease and parasites, many of which are transmissible to other species. It becomes a real mess, and the deer suffer.

So, you really have to cull the herds. Failing to do so would be cruel - so, evil. Sure, you can hire government employees to do the job. Or, you can make private citizens pay the government for the right to do so. I can make culling the herds a revenue source, rather than a cost sink. In this case, the hunter is doing right by the animals and by their communities. This is not good?

Alignment is a long-term aggregation of the morality and ethics of your actions. Even if you think that enjoying killing an animal is evil, the killing of the animal at a time of overcrowding may be for the greater good, and now we have to include both weights into the overall aggregation.

"I killed a man" = evil.
"I killed a man and enjoyed it" = even more evil!!
"I killed a man who raped and pillaged his way through my home town, and was moving on to do the same to the next, and I found the vengeance and righteous justice pleasing." = Um... well, if this is evil, most D&D Paladins are in for a rough time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases