D&D 5E Celestial Warlocks?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm surprised no one has meantioned the usual book pact comb for Magic-Whacking-Stick (MWS) + GFB. Plus the bonus fire(+radiant) damage at level 6.

Mean damage at Level 6 (Cha 18): Agonising Blast 19hp: MWS+GFB+RS vs two adjacent targets 25.5hp
Mean Damage at level 17 (20 Cha): Agonising Blast 42hp: MWS+GFB+RS vs two adjacent targets 46.5hp

I haven't included Hex in the calculations, since it is the same for both.

Went for utility and there's plenty of melee in the party. Also I missed it/ hadn't planned on level 6. Only now thinking about level 4.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
I've got a player who plays a celestial warlock at one of my tables. I think he's currently around level 15. He's a fairly standard warlock in play - straight forward and effective.

It's in the role play that he really shines through. His character has a few screws loose and believes the angel he serves is actually a god.

Warlock: Praise he who is the mightiest of the gods!
Patron: ...not a god. Just an angel.

Thanks to his high charisma and interest in charitable works, he's actually built up quite the following for his "deity". Luckily for him, most of the actual gods in my setting are either dead or incapacitated, else they might be getting a bit miffed. Still, he's the kind of character who tends to add a comedic beat to an otherwise tense or dry scenario, so he's been a lot of fun to have at the table, despite that his shenanigans can occasionally get a bit distracting.

Xeviat

Hero
Intriguing - the celestial politics behind this ... you could build an entire campaign around it.

I've always loved the idea of a knight in an order being accused of heresy for their differing beliefs, and then showing their holy magic and being all "well god seems to say I'm right".

Warlocks as secret cultists of even good deities is an interesting idea to me. We're those called mystery cults? It's been a while since I took my religion classes.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've always loved the idea of a knight in an order being accused of heresy for their differing beliefs, and then showing their holy magic and being all "well god seems to say I'm right".

Warlocks as secret cultists of even good deities is an interesting idea to me. We're those called mystery cults? It's been a while since I took my religion classes.

That's all really good stuff if you ask me - but that's *terrestial* politics. I mean... the politics of the angels and gods!

Goody Good Lawful Good God has a hierarchy and followers, on earth as in heaven. But what if some angels feel that their God is being misguided by other angels? Or feel that for the good of the church, a few rules have to be broken, and plausible deniability is needed? I mean heck, that's after 2 minutes thinking about it, there are so many possibilities.

MGibster

Legend
The flavor's great; I went with a unicorn patron and my group loved that I was throwing around rainbow sparkle Eldritch Blasts. But the mechanics package just doesn't deliver that fun factor. So next session I'm retired that PC and substituting a Tempest Cleric.

I also played a Celestial Warlock with a unicorn patron. I even painted up a special miniature with a rainbow cloak for the occasion, they (they were non-binary), and they would rhyme while casting spells. A rainbow eldritch blast accompanied by something like, "Before the world you are a blight, but you cannot stand my awesome might!" is a lot of fun.

Sadly I cannot vouch for the efficacy of a Celestial Warlock. We only played a few sessions before the DM called it quits. But it was fun while it lasted.

Remove ads