D&D 5E So whatever happened to the Tactics Variant/Module or Whatever

dave2008

Legend
Sure and ones best designs are likely something you buy into yourself.

I also think battlefield role support is a component of tactical game play. 5e is not very flush with that. So a module that built a series of subclasses to bring that on might be good. Had not even seen the Cavalier till I asked about defenders.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean as I feel there is plenty of battlefield support. Is the important part there "role" and not battlefield?

dave2008

Legend
Not everything is a comparison and 4e will not always be better ;) - it cannot be ubiquitous like it was in chainmail (nor as absolute) so giving it other subtle control like the control I added which fit flavorwise seems a compensation for the indirect control it used to get.

OK, it just threw me off. ;) FYI, I do give my dragons some control as there BW leaves an area of effect and often applies some conditions (sorry the fireball just reminded me).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I guess I'm not sure what you mean as I feel there is plenty of battlefield support. Is the important part there "role" and not battlefield?

Adjective is battlefield indicating type and noun is role ... could call it combat role too.

( though in theory you could actually have a non-combat tactical expansion)

Tony Vargas

Legend
That is interesting. Fireball was not a control spell in 4e, it just did damage.
Controller was as much an excuse to grandfather in more of the wizard's favorite toys as a role, but, the rationale appeared to be that large-area damage would limit enemies' tactical options. Thus minion-sweeping also fell to the controller.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The party was according to Arneson originally inspired by the US fireteam of 4 soldiers. With classes approximately reflecting its composition/roles.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Controller was as much an excuse to grandfather in more of the wizard's favorite toys as a role, but, the rationale appeared to be that large-area damage would limit enemies' tactical options. Thus minion-sweeping also fell to the controller.

And the early edition had fighters become minion sweepers too as they levelled (if the DM used them zero levels it could in theory make fighters feel pretty badass)

dave2008

Legend
Adjective is battlefield indicating type and noun is role ... could call it combat role too.

( though in theory you could actually have a non-combat tactical expansion)

Ha! I didn't ask which was adjective and which was a noun, I asked which you thought was important.

I still don't know which is important to you from your response.

dave2008

Legend

I don't disagree there is some control implied with a fireball, but I was trying to point out that the spell is the same in 4e as it is in 5e.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Re: OP's question.

Simple, they changed their minds due to complexity of the task, current/projected sales, and the resulting risk/versus reward.

Remove ads