D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProgBard

First Post
Yes and no. Setting lore is important to me as it sets the framework for the campaign. However, the framework is sturdy enough for some changes. Mess too much with the framework and it falls apart or distorts to the point where it no longer holds its original shape.

I don't mind messing with that framework, but I do so carefully so as to not destroy the setting. That said, if the players in the process of playing the game alter things to the point where it's no longer really the canon setting any longer, but rather is some alternate version, so be it. I'm never going to override player/character impact on the game. Canon isn't sacred enough to me to limit them like that.

I generally try to stay as close to the setting ideal as I can, but as I said above I do make some changes here and there. Rarely I will try something radical with a setting and present it as an alternate universe.

So if it's not deference to the vision of the creator (or at least not exactly), and that aspect isn't one you have a personal stake in,* what inherent value would you say it has for you to hew as closely as possible to what feels like the structural essence or foundation of the setting?

(I'm genuinely curious about how you view this, not trying to set you up for a knockdown. Whatever your kink is, you should enjoy it with gusto. I'm now just indulging in voyeuristic curiosity about the kind of thing people get out of their kinks, especially ones I don't particularly share. So feel free to ignore this if you don't feel any obligation to expand some random dude's horizons with your personal info.)

*As in, frex, there are notable authors who have a really strong squick reaction to the idea of fanfic because the thought of someone playing with their creations is intensely disturbing to them. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you here.

pemerton

Legend
If I am a game creator, I have lore for the game. All that remains is how that lore is given to you. I can decide to give it to you through a narrator, creating the canon lore that way. I can also decide to give it to you directly, with no narrator, creating the same canon lore. There is no difference in the canon lore imparted by the two methods. Changes made to narrator canon have the same meaning and impact as changes made to direct canon.
Whether or not there is some bit of unreliability isn't really the point. When you look at games, lore is lore. It's treated as the way things are unless the DM chooses for it not to be. Even the Realms with Elminster is the same way. Greenwood created Elminster to be a spin artist, but didn't say what was spin and what wasn't. The DM deciding which lore was wrong and changing it is no different with Elminster than it is with lore that is simply written down with no narrator at all. In both cases the DM is taking a bit of established lore and changing it. He just has a more convenient excuse for it with the lore presented by Elminster.
would I be right in thinking you're hanging a great deal of weight on the word established there? Because I feel like a great deal of what I and others who don't take a strong-canon stance here have been saying is that "established" won't bear up to what you're asking of it. There's no there there. It's not quite, but nearly, unreliable Elminsters all the way down.
When I read Maxperson's post using the word "established", I had the same sort of response as ProgBard.

I think it makes a huge difference whether the lore is presented in the voice of an omniscient author - in effect, the setting book is intended to have the same relatioship, vis a vis the fictional world, as an atlas or encyclopedia is intended to have vis a vis the real world.

Wheresas when, as in GH, we are given an extract from an in-fiction treaties, then the lore that is established is not the content of the treatise but the treatise itself.

So from reading that bit about astronomy and astrology in the GH folio or boxed set, I know that, in the setting, there is a sage who wrote that there are two mooons, and that nothing of importance to humanity is to be found in the western parts of Oerik or in the other continents. It therefore seems highly likely - near enough to certain - that there are these two moons, having more-or-less the visible properties that the sage attributes to them. Otherwise the treatise would look silly, and make its author look silly; and its tone does not suggest an author who is indifferent to looking silly.

It also seems highly likely - near enough to certain - that there is an intellectual class in the easter portion of Oerik which has a rather superior attitude towards its own accomplishments, and the relationship of the peoples of eatern Oerik to the destiny of humanity more generally.

What a group playing in GH does with this information is, of course, up to them. Thus, the campaign I mentioned upthread - involving activity outside of eastern Oerik that is of importance to humanity - would be completely consistent with canon; even moreso if it involve showing up the self-important intellectuals like the one who wrote that treatise.

Introducing a third moon moon that is not visible to the naked eye is equally consistent with the existence of a treatise by a self-important sage who never thought it worthwhile to extend inquiries beyond a few simple observations, to actually find out why the ancient cult of wizards has three branches to its order.

I'd note that none of the above depends upon attributing any greater "unreliability" to the narrator than is evident in the self-important, even pompous, tone of the treatise presented.

Perhaps a bigger stretch - because now adding to that "unreliability" - would be deciding that the treatise cited in the folio and boxed set is actually a fraud - written by someone who does know the truth (the truth of the third moon; the truth of the centrality to humanity of events in western Oerik) but who, for whatever reason, wanted to keep that truth secret. But while a bigger stretch, this would still not actually depart from the canon presented. It wouldn't dispute the existence of the treastise with the content it has.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So if it's not deference to the vision of the creator (or at least not exactly), and that aspect isn't one you have a personal stake in,* what inherent value would you say it has for you to hew as closely as possible to what feels like the structural essence or foundation of the setting?

Respect for my players. If I tell them I'm going to run Darksun, I feel obligated to give them Darksun, not some bastardized version. If I tell them I'm running alternate universe version of Darksun, I have free license to change things to my heart's content.

(I'm genuinely curious about how you view this, not trying to set you up for a knockdown. Whatever your kink is, you should enjoy it with gusto. I'm now just indulging in voyeuristic curiosity about the kind of thing people get out of their kinks, especially ones I don't particularly share. So feel free to ignore this if you don't feel any obligation to expand some random dude's horizons with your personal info.)

LOL I don't think you are setting me up for a knockdown, unlike a lot of people around here. You're one of the few around here who tries to engage in discussion.

ProgBard

First Post
The idea with starting at the edge is to figure out if something will change or not at the extreme. Once you figure out if it will, and I fully expect that the vast majority of us will agree that it does, then what remains is moving back towards the center to get closer to where the change happens. It's a mistake to define the center by the edge, but using the edge as a tool to help figure out what the center is has value.

Absolutley. The "sometimes you have to go too far to figure out what far enough is" method is often a useful way of exploring, especially in creative pursuits.

Just a caution that discussions that start to go there can get really, really bogged down in the edge cases at the expense of losing sight of the center. As long as perspective is maintained, all should be well.

Carry on. :)

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] - you claim that the purpose of bringing up canon is to promote discussion. Ok. But, that's a bit vague. What discussion are you thinking will be generated here? By telling Pemerton that he's not really playing in a Greyhawk game, what productive discussion do you think will be had?

Or, conversely, by ignoring the quoted canon of a setting, and then claiming that you have superior knowledge of the setting, what productive conversation do you think will be had?

When someone claims that there are not enough short modules for 5e and 5e needs more module support, the DM's Guild gets pointed to. The response is a canon argument - the modules are from 3rd party publishers and thus are not "official". The fact that there are hundreds of shorter 5e modules out there gets swept under the rug because they aren't "canon".

And it's an unassailable position. It's true. 3rd Party modules aren't canon. So, in order to be able to keep making the claim that WotC is a terrible business and out of touch with gamers, the canon bat gets wielded. Sure, you could play those 3rd party modules, but, then, you wouldn't be playing "real" D&D would you? After all, if it's not official, if it's not "canon" then it's not really real D&D. It's knock off off brand D&D that's good enough for those who like it, but, for the true fan of D&D, only official canon will do.

And that is very much the sense I get from EVERY one of these conversations. [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game being dismissed with a sniff as being just a home-brew game. It's not really Greyhawk as any true Greyhawk fan would know.

** Note, I do realize that the DM's Guild argument goes straight out the window as soon as you realize that WotC has released all the Adventurer's League modules. 100+ short modules, all 100% official. Pretty much shoots that argument down in flames nicely. ***

Hussar

Legend
Respect for my players. If I tell them I'm going to run Darksun, I feel obligated to give them Darksun, not some bastardized version. If I tell them I'm running alternate universe version of Darksun, I have free license to change things to my heart's content.

LOL I don't think you are setting me up for a knockdown, unlike a lot of people around here. You're one of the few around here who tries to engage in discussion.

To be fair Maxperson, since I'm probably being lumped in here, I never, ever made my intentions secret. I think that these lore discussions are completely disingenuous. I think that those who claim that lore is important are always doing so to act as gate keepers for the one true way of playing the game.

Because, the thing is, you will never, EVER, hear someone say, "Well, this new idea is really cool and I really like it and it's really a better idea than what came before, but, y'know, we have to preserve canon, so, we'll keep this older idea, even though it's not really as good".

The importance of canon is directly proportional to the degree the person likes that canon.

So, no, I've never been trying to set anyone up for a knockdown. Just pointing out how incredibly hypocritical most people are being when they try to claim the importance of canon.

pemerton

Legend
Mess too much with the framework and it falls apart or distorts to the point where it no longer holds its original shape.

I don't mind messing with that framework, but I do so carefully so as to not destroy the setting

<snip>

Rarely I will try something radical with a setting and present it as an alternate universe.
In what way is a 3rd moon, or WoHS, radical? In what way does it mess with, or distort, the framework of GH?

I can see how the number and nature of moons is core to the framework of Krynn, given their centrality to the WoHS? But how is the exact number of moons core to GH? (When I asked you upthread to talk about a GH scenario you'd run or played in in which the astronomy was central, you couldn't name one; whereas I think it would be central - via WoHS, and perhaps also the gods-as-constellations - to nearly every Krynn campaign, and very many Krynn scenarios.)

And as far as having a wizardly order that draws power from moons, how does that mess with or distort the framework? The framework is one of ancient empires with ancient magical powers (the Suel Imperium and the Invoked Devastation that it called down; the Baklun Empire and the Rain of Colourless Fire that it called down); and the treatise on the heavens tells us that the heavenly bodies exert astrological influences over the world.

It's all very well to say that radical departures make a campaign no longer an instance of a campaign world. That's not bad as a basic proposition. But you have articulated no account of why the stuff I've talked about counts as a radical departure! The mere fact that it is an addition to astronomical facts doesn't make it so, at least until you have some account of why sticking to two moons is key to the GH framework. The mere fact that it is an element dropped in from another setting doesn't make it so, not in general and certainly not in GH, which - as published - already contains elements from Dave Arneson's setting (Blackmoor), from Boot Hill (Murlynd) and from Metamorphis Alpha/Gamma World (Expedition to the Barrier Peaks).

That is because Gygax would just steal any idea that he liked - ah, those wild woolly days when we used to walk to school up hill in the snow both ways.
It's not about nostalgia for the past. It's about the relationship between setting and RPGing as an activity.

Perhaps the reason was that your Players did not know enough about GH to know (or care!) how many moons there are? Maybe they liked the extra magic sub system?
Well they clearly liked the magic system, given that they engaged with it via PC building when they were under no obligation to do so. They also liked the story. (I think it's a fairly compelling one. That's why I put it into my game!)

But some of them were certainly quite familiar with GH. And even those who didn't know it very well would have seen the well-known cover of Unearthed Arcana with its two moons.

I think they simply realised that two visible moons doesn't preclude a third invisible one.

pemerton said:
I'm not saying that the 3rd moon is canon - of course it's not.

I'm saying that adding it doesn't make the game cease to be a GH game. Any RPGing will mean that the setting takes on non-canonical features/elements.
I think most Greyhawk GMs would agree with you there.
Maybe.

That said, this thread consists of a significant number of posts - from [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] and maybe some other posters (eg I'm less clear about [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION] on this poiint) - stating that my GH game is not really a GH game precisely because of addditional elements - like the 3rd moon, and the WoHS to go with it - that I have introduced.

there's a differences between grabbing someone's work whole cloth and dropping it into your setting, slightly modifying someone else's work and using another's idea as inspiration to springboard off of for your own creation.
This is not in dispute either.

In my case, the WoHS are dropped largely whole-cloth into GH, with only as many changes made (Suel origins, astronomical details, relationships to other sorcerous traditions) as are needed to have them fit into their new home.

My claim is that such a whole-cloth drop (with such slight modifications as are needed to make it work) doesn't make the game cease to be a GH one.

as more material got published for campaign settings as well as in Dragon Magazine and in novels, there were a lot more players cropping up with passing familiarity in the settings. They wanted to see a few more key elements of those settings in their games. It's pretty natural, after all look at all of the licensed property games and settings that have been out over the years from Thieves' World to Marvel Superheroes.

<snip>

The impulse to participate faithfully or with authenticity in well-known and loved IP is huge.
I think the notion of what counts as "faithful" or "authentic" participation can be pretty subtle. Likewise the notion of participation.

When I was a boy in primary school we played Batman and Superman; we played Justice League more generally; we played Star Wars; I guess this was a type of participation (in that we imagined ourselves as Batman, or Han Solo, or whomever; of course someone always drew the short straw and had to be Robin, of Aquaman, or the Stormtrooper). But canon played only a modest role in establishing our expectations and framing our play.

When the setting has no existence or significance, as a work of fiction, except as a vehicle for RPGing, what does it mean to faithfully participate? This is perhaps not a question that matters much to FR - which as far as I know has more life as a setting for novels than as a setting for RPGing. It's certainly not a question for the Marvel Universe. But Greyhawk, and OA/Kara-Tur - which are the two D&D settings that I personally have used extensively - and also Karameikos - which is a D&D setting I've used a bit - directly give rise to this question. They aren't existing cultural artefacts adapted to RPGing. They're RPG settings, first and foremost in the case of GH and (to the best of my knowledge) solely in the case of the other two.

This is why I feel that a conception of "authenticity" that doesn't recognise the basic purpose of these settings seems to miss the point. And tries to apply a standard of "canon" that has no application in these cases.

And a final thought (for this post) on faithful/authentic participation in a fictional world:

When shouldn't or wouldn't they decide what is or isn't their official product. And having something produced previously doesn't necessarily guarantee that a new owner will consider it that way once they own the product... for an example look at the previously official Star Wars expanded universe...
But what does official even mean here? It's not a metaphysical concept, or an aesthetic one. It's a type of marketing/branding concept - about establishing, manipulating and responding to the expectations of the customers for one's commercial products.

Last edited:

ProgBard

First Post

That makes total sense. In practice, I think you and I would handle things in much the same way, even if we can't get on the same page in re. WTH "established" means. :)

As I said waaaaaaaay back in the early pages of this thread, this is a rilly rilly important conversation to have. When I started my alt-u Realms campaign, most of my players wouldn't have known Mirt from Blackstaff at ten paces, so nobody would have noticed my changes unless they started researching after we started (itself a potential pitfall); but I had one guy who had some Realmslore and investment in the setting, so getting his buy-in and managing his expectations was vital all by itself. If he had been like, "no, it won't be fun for me if this isn't mostly the Realms I know and recognize," we wouldv'e begun a very different game.

pemerton

Legend
what inherent value would you say it has for you to hew as closely as possible to what feels like the structural essence or foundation of the setting?
I asked (a version of) this question on the other thread.
[MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION] answered - roughly (but I hope not too loose a paraphrase) the answer was that the setting is a work of art, and departure from canon is a type of "affront" to the artwork. ("Affront" is my word, not Shasarak's - it's not quite right, becuase the artwork doesn't itself have feelings, but for present purposes hopefully it conveys the general idea in a comprehensible fashion.)

Respect for my players. If I tell them I'm going to run Darksun, I feel obligated to give them Darksun, not some bastardized version.
This seems to imply that one of the reasons you think that my decision to include the WoHS in my GH game was that it disrespected my players.

If that is correct, it makes it even more odd to me that you haven't made any inquiries about the circumstances of the case.

Is it relevant, for instance, that I started GMing that group as the outcome of a "revolt" against a prior GM whom the rest of us all agreed was terrible - and that it was on the basis of an offer to run a game in lieu of his that I took up the GMing mantle?

Is it relevant that - as the campaign had its origins at a university gaming club - that many participants came in because they heard from fellow club-members that it was a good game, and they were looking out for such a thing?

If a player doesn't really care about canon, or is more interested in learning about the setting via play rather than via pre-existing expectations, does that change the ways in which a description of a setting may or may not be an act of disrespect?

To me, it seems that you are projecting a whole lot of assumptions about how the game starts, how the players become involved, what the players value in the campaign (both this particular one, and campaigns in general), and on that basis inferring that I made a very poor decision as GM; rather than perhaps inferring that maybe those assumptions, whatever exactly they are, may not generalise from your group and your experiences to all the other RPGers out there in the world.

(I also find it a bit rich that you continue to press [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] for an apology to you while still (i) posting that my decisoin was an instance of very poor GMing, and (ii) not even responding to my posts inviting you to engage with some of the actual circusmtances in which my decision was made, and the consequences that flowed from it.)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
...You could add in the entire continent of Alphatia from the Mystara setting and have their wizards lead their armies to conquer the rest of the world and it would still be Greyhawk.

I really like this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases