What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION], there are some point where I think you have mis-spoken, or seem not to understand some RPG techniques.

A player's agency in the fictional world is roughly the same as our agency in the real world, and even slightly more so, as I explained. The difference, though, is that in the fictional world, there's a GM - who is akin to a hypothetical supreme being in our world.
The player has no agency in the fictional world, any more than you have the power to punch Sherlock Holmes in the nose.

The PC has agency in the fictional world, but it's fictional ie imaginary agency and so, as I explained to [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] not too far upthread is orthogonal to issues of railroading etc. (A PC might be enlaved by some other being, yet the player have unfettered autonomy, because the player determines the details of what the enslaving being asks of the PC.)

And the player may or may not have agency in the real world, in the playing of the game, depending on his/her capacity to change the state of the shared fiction. But the process of doing that does not resemble throwing rocks or climbing walls in the real world - it resembles playing cops and robbers, or writing a story with some friends, or improv acting, though is not identical to any of those.

As I said, if a kid complains that the fellow players of cops and robbers aren't being fair, no one thinks we address their agency by comparing it to the agency of a real bank robber shooting a real tommy gun. We ask about who is getting to decide whether a shot hits and whether a hit kills, and how that decision-making power is being exercised. These are the same sorts of questions one can ask about a RPG.

Aside from that I don't see how the processes are "completely" different, the main difference between your approach and the "traditional" approach (for lack of a better term), seems to be the degree to which the player has power over whether the rock exists, where it is, etc, and also the degree to which the GM doesn't have power, yes?

In the traditional approach, the player declares what action he or she wants to take, and the GM decides how resolution will occur in whatever fashion he or she deems appropriate given the situation (that is, uses judgement), and the player resolves the action through either doing it ("I pick up the rock"), rolling dice, etc. But it seems that in your approach, one or both of two things is true: 1) the player has more power over whether the rock is there, and where it is, and 2) the GM has less power over the same, and/or is constrained by the rules.
I don't know of any tabletop RPG where a player makes it true, in the fiction, that his/her PC has picked up a rock by actually doing it, ie actually picking up a rock.

The player generally states an intended action - "I pick up a rock" - and then the table (perhaps just the GM, or maybe the GM as first among equals) accepts that this has happened, or alternatively some sort of mechanical process is called for (most often rolling a dice, but not always - eg if the action is "I buy a shovel", then in BW a dice roll may be required (a Resources check), but in D&D the mechancial process is to reduce the number in the treasure box on the PC sheet by the amount indicated by the GM).

But all action declaration in a RPG depends upon the fictional positioning of the PC - you can't say "I pick up a rock" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some rocks; you can't say "I buy a shovel" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some friendly purveyors of shovels; etc.

In a game run on the basis of GM pre-authorship with secret elements of the gameworld, it is possible for a player to think that the fictional positioning is appropriate for declaring some action, but in fact it is not. So the player declares the action, and perhaps the GM even allows the dice to be rolled (or rolls them behind the screen), but the check will always fail (and thus the fiction not develop in the way that the player wants) because in fact the fictional positioning was not apposite.

Now, there are borderline cases here, because "secrecy" is a matter of degree. To give a simple example, a combat encounter that starts with an invisible opponent among the visible ones will produce a moment in which the fictional positioniong turns out to be different from what a player understood it to be - eg (in some editions of D&D) s/he will declare some movement and then suffer an opportunity attack that s/he wasn't expecting. The 4e DMG's skill challenge example has a comparable non-combat example: anyone who tries to bully the duke automatically incurs a failure in the attempt to persuade him.

My own view is that if the secret is (i) within the ascertainable scope of the situation as presented to the players, and (ii) is salient within the context of gameplay, and (iii) is not overwhelming in its impact on the situation, then it's fair game. The two examples I've given satisfy (i) - you can find the invisible foe through various means including Perception checks; you can learn the duke's personality through an Insight check.

My reason for caring about (ii) - salience - is because, in practical gameplay terms, this is a major consideration for knowability. The players need to have at least some general sense of what they are expected to be looking for. I think the combat example satisfies (ii) for a default D&D game - we all know that invisible foes go with the territory. The skill challenge example is, in my view, more contentious in respect of (ii) and would depend upon how the campaign, as actually played, has presented personalities and has treated bullying as a method of persuading them.

My reason for caring about (iiI) is that, if the secret is overwhelming and the players don't learn it, then the game has a feel of "rocks fall, everybody dies". I think that is fair game in classic dungeoneering - ToH is full of it - but I personally don't care for classic dungeoneering as a playstyle, and hence include (iii) as a desideratum. Both the examples I gave satisfy (iii) - a skill challenge isn't lost with a single failure; and one invisilbe foe (who is otherwise part of a fairly desinged encounter) isn't going to lead, in iteslf, to a TPK.

As well as secret backstory, there can simply be unestablilshed backstory. Is there a rock nearby? Is the mace inthe tower? Will the captain of the starship respond sympathetically to a mayday call, even if that means going against strict security procedures? (That last one is from the Traveller thread I referenced a bit earlier in this thread.)

For this, I favour three possible approaches.

(1) If it's obviously inappropriate given genre and established backstory (eg Luke Crane's example of beam weapons in the Duke's toilet) then the answer is no. I would also extend this to low/no stakes distractions - "we search the bodies for loot". In my 4e game I'll often just say "They've got nothing valuable", rather than waste time on what is essentially a distraction - loot is on a "timer" (treasure parcels), and if I've got interesting ideas for how those parcels can come into play, I'm not intersted in spending time on paragon-tier PCs looting hobgoblins. (Contrast our BW game, where Resources is a vital stat constantly under pressure, and the search for loot might generate a high-stakes Scavenging check.)

(2) If the player is looking for some enrichment of the framing to help support some other action declaration (eg S/he wants his/her PC to climb the compound wall - are there any trees nearby? S/he wants his her PC to throw a pebble at the bedroom window to wake the sleeper inside - is there a pebble lying on the ground nearby?) then I would say yes.

(3) If the question itself is high stakes - I need to catch the spilled blood of the mage for my master - is there a ewer in the room?; I've returned to my abandoned tower - is my mace still here?; I'm reading the scroll setting out the cult's theology - are there any hidden marks or writing? - then it's time to roll the dice.

The only sense in which this gives the player the power to determine whether or not a rock exists is that (i) the player has the power to declare an action ("I look for a rock, so I can pick it up and throw it"), and (ii) the GM uses one of the above techniques to determine whether or not a rock is there to be picked up.

In other words, "Say 'yes' or roll the dice" is a GM-side technique, not a player side technique. (Contrast Fate Points in OGL Conan, which are a player side resource that permits the player to simply declare that a rock exists. I've never run or played in a game that uses such a mechanic myself; Cortex+ Heroic is the closest I've come, and it's not the same as that.)

Or a better way to put it, I think, is that the GM "play's" the setting as a kind of conscious, interactive entity. In other words, the GM is the setting, and the setting is the GM, just as the GM is all NPCs.
I discussed this upthread.

It is generally accepted that, if a PC races and NPC, the outcome should be determined by the mechanics (maybe opposed Speed checks; mabye the one with the highest Quickness score wins; depending on what the particular game dictates). It's generally accepted that the GM can't (reasonably) just fiat that his/her NPC wins the race.

So consider a PC who hopes to find the map in the study; or the mace in the tower; or the pebble on the road. That can also be settled via action resolution (as I've described above in this post) - how is the GM deciding, by fiat, that there's no map or mace or pebble there, any different from fiating that the NPC wins the race?

As a GM, I've got not doubt that I play the "gameworld" as something with which the players (via their PCs) interact. I just don't assert fiat powers to make my guy always win!

main problem here is that you seem to take issue with the very idea of the GM as "omnipotent," as if that means he or she is inherently tyrannical.
No. It's the omnipotence I personally don't enjoy (either as player or GM).

Consider the example of the mace.

If the GM is omnipotent, then when the player says "I search the tower for the mace" then either;

(1) I say no (because that's what my notes say; that's what I feel like; I don't want my player's character to have a mace; whatever). That's personally not how I want to run a game - I regard it as railroading.

(2) I say yes. Where's the fun in that? Now the game is essentially about GM largesse, and every time something is up for grabs in the ficiton I'm the one who has to decide it. That's of zero interest to me also.

(3) I roll some dice. That's what I had to do in my Traveller game the other day, when the PCs were trying to find an alien artefact on sale at a market on a world whose inhabitants have mixed human/alien ancestry. I think it's better than (1) or (2), but is a little bit like playing the game with myself rather than my friends. (Unfortunately, Traveller doesn't have an obviously better mechanic - though in our game I have the players roll the reaction rolls for NPCs, so they're more like influence checks, and in retrospect I probably should have improvised something similar on this occasion.)

(4) The player rolls some dice, therefore (i) having a basic investment in the game play, and (ii) being in a position to bring player-side resources to bear. I like this best.

A player only has no agency if the GM exercises their omnipotence in every moment - that is, simply tells a story.
Well, in politics this is up for grabs - historically the objection to monarchy hasn't just been that some monarchs are tyrants, but that every occasion of monarchy is a possible occasion of tyranny, which leaves those subject to it fundamentally unfree.

In RPGing, though, it's more prosaic than that. If the GM is ominpotent than decision making is either (1) or (2) immediately above, and I've explained why I don't care for either of them.

Where I think we are differing, or at least explaining two different styles along the spectrum, is the degree to which the player has power in deciding/determining whether the mace is there, without having previously said they placed it there within either their backstory or game play.

<snip>

I think whether my PC finds the mace depends upon any number of factors: 1) Is it there as part of backstory? 2) Did I place it there in game play? 3) Did some NPC, via the GM's choice, find it and take it?

If none of the above applies and I ask the GM to retroactively place it there, then it is up to the GM's judgement to both i) decide whether he or she will allow that as a possibility, and ii) decide on how to determine whether it is there or not, whether through just saying "Sure, why not?" Or a dice roll, or somesuch.

What the "traditional approach" does not generally include is the player saying "The mace is there because I want it to be, because this is a collaborative game and I have co-creative agency, goshdarnit!"
As I keep repeating, I have never played a RPG that resembles the "collaborative game" you describe. What RPGs do you have in mind in describing it?

I've described upthread how the mace example was resolved. The player had written into his PC's backstory that he had been working on the mace before leaving his tower. The PC arrived at the tower. It had not been established in play whether or not the mace was there. The player declared an action (of searching for it), which was resolved. It failed. Hence the PC didn't find the mace; rather, he found something that revealed to him a horrible truth about his brother.

As it turned out, the mace had been taken by a NPC (the dark elf). But that was determined (by me, the GM) as a consequence of the failed check, not an input into it.

Your (3) - the GM fiats that it's not there - or your "sure, why not" are both approches that I don't like for the reasons I've stated. And I've also explained why I find it more immersive, both as player and GM, to have the player rather than the GM declare the action and roll the dice.

Can't the setting be modified and adapted from a starting template (created by the GM) through the course of the telling of the story? In a sense, a kind of "world-building GM fiat?" If it is all behind the GM's screen (proverbially speaking), what's the harm?

In other words, let's say the players present ideas about the setting that the GM likes and thinks augment the campaign in some way, even though they might be different than what he or she has in his/her campaign notes (to use your phrasing). Do you see any issue with the GM doing this sort of thing?

The setting, as I see it, is not set in stone until some aspect of it is revealed or experienced by the PCs, at which point that aspect (and only that aspect) *is* set in stone, at least for the most part.

<snip>

Thus the GM's role as "illusionist" - making the setting real and immersive. Isn't that the point of world-building, to go back to the OP? And whatever it takes to do so?
If others like this sort of game, then go for it. I think I've explained why I don't like it.

As a GM, I have no interest in being an "illusionist" who decides all outcomes by fiat, treating player action declarations merely as suggestions.

As a player, I want to play my characer as I envision him/her, not the GM's interpretation of my character and his/her situation.

pemerton said:
Here is an excellent summary of the "indie"-style of RPGing, under the heading "The Standard Narrativistic Model"
All of which could be applied to a number of approaches - not just "indie." In other words, I don't see how that description applies to indie and not traditional.
If you're serious about this, then I strongly encourage you to re-read what Eero Tuovinen has written (which I quoted).

In what you call the "traditional" model: the PCs aren't designed with built in hooks or drives or motivations (other than the most basic - we want loot and XP); the GM does not frame scenes that prompt choices driven by those motivations (eg look at [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s post, where in years of play the fact that his PC hopes to be a Senator has never been a principal focus of the game); and the GM does not narrate consequences in a way the leads naturally and inevitably into further scenes of that kind. Many posters on these boards, including [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] who is posting in this thread, not only design adventures independently of knowing what PCs the players will be playing, but advocate that as the best way to run a game: that may be standard for the "traditional" model, but is completely antithetical to what Eero Tuovinen is talking about.

Likewise, many posters on these boards (none yet in this thread, I think) assert that it is "contried" or "artificial" for the GM to deliberately frame situations so that they pull on the PC backstories; indeed, many GMs (again, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] is a professed example) regard player-author backstory as a completley optinal consideration for the GM.

And "traditional" modules are full of fetch quests, "rescue the princess"-type episodes which are simply a series of dungeon challenges with a McGuffin at the end; etc. All this is the complete opposite of the Standard Narrativistic Model.

Look at an AP - with the villains pre-established, all the major scenes sketched out in advance, the climax already written - and then actually imagine playing a game in the way Tuovinen describes it: the players deciding what will be important to their PCs, the GM using those hooks to frame situations and guide the adjudication of consequences, and then ask yourself how could an AP be used in that game? It couldn't. You may be able to take ideas or little vignettes from it (that's how I use modules) but you couldn't "run the AP", because that woudl require knowing all the consequences in advance, and hence all the motivations and choices and the outcomes of those choices in advance; which can't be done.

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
If the GM is telling a story, and the players are acting, who is wrting their script? If the answer is that they're free to write their own script, then in what sense is the GM telling a story?
Responsively. The "script" is co-created, improvised, along certain guidelines which vary in terms of how strongly they are adhered to (this is where "railroading" comes in).
The story is created through the interaction between the GM's framing and the player's choices and actions. The GM presents a context, environment, and possible choices, and the players choose what they want to do given that context, environment, and possible choices - or they may find a completely different way that the GM did not account for, and the GM responds accordingly to the internal logic of the campaign world.
The key question is, how does that interaction take place?

Is it by the players making suggstions to the GM? That is what you seemed to imply in your description of "illusionist" GMing upthread, and is also what I take away from your suggestion that the GM tells a story in response to player input.

Is it by the players negotiating with the GM? That is how kids play cops and robbers - mutual negotiation. At a certain point it makes a distinctive GM role redundant.

Is it by action resolution mechanics? In my view, this is part of what makes RPGing distinctive, and different from other ways of a group generating a shared fiction together. In historical terms, it's also the key legacy from wargames.

If action resolution is never binding on the GM (either because s/he can veto it, or secretly establish fictional positioning that leads to it failing), then action declaration, in practice, becomes the making of suggestions to the GM by the players. Which seems to make it the GM's story, but taking suggestions from friends.

If action resolution is binding on the GM, then it's simply misleading to say it's the GM's story. The GM brings something to the table - some element of setting, say, like the study in the house where the PCs (and their players) are hoping to find the map - and the players bring something to the table - their PCs who decide to search the study in the hope of finding the map there - and then we learn what the story is by rolling the dice and adjudcating the outcome.

Mercurius

Legend
Pemerton, there is just too much to reply to and a lot of it getting to be quite redundant, so I'll try to tease out some points...I keep wanting to simmer this down but it seems to be rather difficult!

@Mercurius, there are some point where I think you have mis-spoken, or seem not to understand some RPG techniques.

The player has no agency in the fictional world, any more than you have the power to punch Sherlock Holmes in the unose.

You are correct: I misspoke. I meant to say the PC has agency, in that the player is acting through and as the character and cannot act within the narrative without the character as "avatar."

Lots of stuff about rocks

Sorry, pemerton, the noise just outweighs the signal here. I fear that your dissertation is a case in which more is less. What exactly are you trying to say? I can't determine how what you are saying is unique to indie-style play, or opposed to traditional style - except the more glaringly extreme version of it that you continue to prop up, which doesn't represent the vast majority of traditional campaigns I've played in. Again, it is a spectrum. I'm going to keep hammering that home, because you seem to want to make this black and white.

It is generally accepted that, if a PC races and NPC, the outcome should be determined by the mechanics (maybe opposed Speed checks; mabye the one with the highest Quickness score wins; depending on what the particular game dictates). It's generally accepted that the GM can't (reasonably) just fiat that his/her NPC wins the race.

I would say the GM better have a very good reason for doing so.

So consider a PC who hopes to find the map in the study; or the mace in the tower; or the pebble on the road. That can also be settled via action resolution (as I've described above in this post) - how is the GM deciding, by fiat, that there's no map or mace or pebble there, any different from fiating that the NPC wins the race?

As a GM, I've got not doubt that I play the "gameworld" as something with which the players (via their PCs) interact. I just don't assert fiat powers to make my guy always win!

And who does? Only abusive, power-mongering GMs. Sure, they exist, but it isn't intrinsic to traditional play. I have played with such GMs, but not in a long time - and they were always in their early 20s or younger.

I mean, I just don't get the "GM vs. Players" mentality. I don't see RPGs as a competitive sport, at least not D&D. But it also just seems silly, considering that the GM can always win if he or she really wants to.

As a GM, the only way I "win" is if everyone at the table has a good time. Isn't that the bottom line?

Well, in politics this is up for grabs - historically the objection to monarchy hasn't just been that some monarchs are tyrants, but that every occasion of monarchy is a possible occasion of tyranny, which leaves those subject to it fundamentally unfree.

Ahh, so I was right about the "RPG libertarianism"...or shall we say classical liberalism? This is the heart of your view, I think, which is a political one.

Maybe in the end you simply take your RPGing more seriously than I do. For me it is not a political matter, it is about having fun.

Now don't get me wrong: there are other contexts in life in which I am more stringent to certain ideological principles. But not in RPGs, and I'm guessing this is because you are more serious and dedicated to your gaming than I am. I'm not saying that as a judgement on either of us, but I do think it matters in terms of understanding how we are coming at this discussion from different perspectives, and perhaps "granularity of concern."

In RPGing, though, it's more prosaic than that. If the GM is ominpotent than decision making is either (1) or (2) immediately above, and I've explained why I don't care for either of them.

But this is simply not true. As you yourself said, the choice could be 1, 2, 3, or 4...why is it now only 1 or 2? What changed?

I think the GM decides, as adjudicator, which method best applies given the situation and campaign assumptions. Where you and I disagree is on how much power the GM should have to decide which way to resolve an action; you seem to think it necessary for there to be external limits and rules put on the GM, whereas I don't.

Actually, in this regard, I am probably far more laissez-faire than you...I say, let the market decide! Meaning, if the GM abuses his or her power, the players can leave. Why do I feel this way? Because if a GM is such a person that needs external limits in order not to abuse power, then that is the type of person I don't really want to game with to begin with! Just as if I'm a GM and my players insist that I have external limitations put on me as the GM, there's a level of mistrust that I will find off-putting.

So for me there's a "sacred agreement" of trust between GM and players. I'm not sure I want to play in a game where that isn't there.

As a GM, I have no interest in being an "illusionist" who decides all outcomes by fiat, treating player action declarations merely as suggestions.

Again, who is talking about "all outcomes by fiat" or "treating player action declarations merely as suggestions?" Maybe someone else, but not I.

As a player, I want to play my characer as I envision him/her, not the GM's interpretation of my character and his/her situation.

Agreed!

In what you call the "traditional" model: the PCs aren't designed with built in hooks or drives or motivations (other than the most basic - we want loot and XP); the GM does not frame scenes that prompt choices driven by those motivations (eg look at @Lanefan's post, where in years of play the fact that his PC hopes to be a Senator has never been a principal focus of the game); and the GM does not narrate consequences in a way the leads naturally and inevitably into further scenes of that kind. Many posters on these boards, including @Lanefan who is posting in this thread, not only design adventures independently of knowing what PCs the players will be playing, but advocate that as the best way to run a game: that may be standard for the "traditional" model, but is completely antithetical to what Eero Tuovinen is talking about.

Again, you're reducing a spectrum to a single caricatured strawman. This is why I don't find "indie" vs. "traditional" to be all that useful (even though I'm guilty of using it), or at least only worthwhile as a study in abstract contrasts. It is a spectrum, with infinite variation between.

The reason I don't think you see this is that you seem to be somewhat of a purist: there is a clear line that you don't cross, but the problem is that anything on the other side is muddled and therefore "dirty," and all in the same category because it doesn't adhere to indie puritanism. You seem to want everything spelled out before hand, everything defined.

Likewise, many posters on these boards (none yet in this thread, I think) assert that it is "contried" or "artificial" for the GM to deliberately frame situations so that they pull on the PC backstories; indeed, many GMs (again, @Lanefan is a professed example) regard player-author backstory as a completley optinal consideration for the GM.

Again, I mix this sort of thing in. If this is really the case, as a GM I'm somewhere between you and Lanefan (although I'm not convinced that Lanefan or many on these boards are as extreme as you describe...but I could be wrong).

And "traditional" modules are full of fetch quests, "rescue the princess"-type episodes which are simply a series of dungeon challenges with a McGuffin at the end; etc. All this is the complete opposite of the Standard Narrativistic Model.

Yes, and that's the framework upon which every single campaign will vary from on a spectrum, from "by the book" to "how the heck did we get here?" I've always seen modules as basic themes that can--but don't have to be--improvised from. That's the beauty of them, of pre-published settings, of anything published: You can do whatever you want with them. As the GM, you can make them your own.

Mercurius

Legend
The key question is, how does that interaction take place?

Is it by the players making suggstions to the GM? ...

Is it by the players negotiating with the GM? ...

Is it by action resolution mechanics? ...

Why not all three and (perhaps) more? It is a mix, a soup, and depends upon context.

The GM's toolbox is varied and deep. I wouldn't want to limit it to one type of tool, or one right way to use the tools.

In the end, the game experience is--for me--about the enjoyment of everyone at the table. This is something we haven't really talked about: GM as entertainer, or at least host. I take that role very seriously and feel that it is my duty, as GM, to do my best to create an enjoyable experience for everyone at the table. And yes, this usually includes incorporating elements of backstory, but it also sometimes means using fiat--judiciously, sparingly--if I feel that it would serve the greater good.

This does not mean always judging a dice roll that would lead to a character death, or TPKO. It really depends upon the situation, and what my gut* says.

(*I'm fairly certainly you won't like that ;-))

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION]

If the GM has the inherent power to veto/filter/manipulate, then it is inherent that the GM is not bound by action resolution. Having regard to it when you're not inclined to overturn it is not a mode of being bound.

This then relevant to your question "Why not (1) through (4)?" (3) and (4) aren't avaiable to an omnipotent GM, because they only make sense if the GM is bound.

An omnipotent GM can, of course, make a dice roll or call for one from the player: but as s/he has the power to disregard/override it, it is nothing more than a suggestion, an additional factor that s/he might consider.

This is why I don't like it as a GMing method: when I'm GMing I want to find out what happens; not to take suggestions, consider input, and the decide what happens. The way I do this is by following the rules for action resolution.

You say that only an abusive GM would decide that "my guy wins" without action resolution: but in fact that is exactly what is happening every time a player looks for a map in the study (or a mace in the tower, or whatever) and the GM says "no, it's not there" on the basis of his/her notes. This is the GM playing his/her study (tower; world in general) as a "character" who is not subject to action resolution and always gets to win over player action declarations.

The point is obvious for races between PCs and NPCs. My point is that it is equally the case for any other situation in which the player is declaring an action for his/her PC in the hope of success.

pemerton

Legend
9) The players role is to explore the art (of the GM's built world and related metaplot), appreciate the art, and take-up the plot hooks therein at their discretion (the "choose-you-own-adventure" invocation). Now "their (player) discretion" will invariably bump up against (4), (7), and (8) above. When it does, it seems to me that the general consensus of D&D players on ENWorld amounts to "its the GM's game/table, any player is perfectly free to find another game/table."
Actually, in this regard, I am probably far more laissez-faire than you...I say, let the market decide! Meaning, if the GM abuses his or her power, the players can leave. Why do I feel this way? Because if a GM is such a person that needs external limits in order not to abuse power, then that is the type of person I don't really want to game with to begin with!
Mercurius, what you say appears to be an instance of the general consensus that Manbearcat posited in his point (9).

In any event, as I think I have posted upthread, I am predominanty a GM. I stumbled onto the "standard narrativistic model" as a GM, not a player. As I just posted, I favour it because it means I'm not making decisions about what happens, but instead am finding out along with everyone else at the table.

The concept of "trust" has little or nothing to do with it, other than that I've always trusted my players to come up with interesting PCs and to make interesting action declarations when confronted with the situations that I frame them into.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The PC has agency in the fictional world, but it's fictional ie imaginary agency and so, as I explained to [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] not too far upthread is orthogonal to issues of railroading etc. (A PC might be enlaved by some other being, yet the player have unfettered autonomy, because the player determines the details of what the enslaving being asks of the PC.)
Huh?

How in blazes does the player of a PC who is enslaved by some other being get to in any way determine the details of what the enslaving being asks it to do? That has to come from the enslaver, doesn't it?

The only options an enslaved PC has are to do what it is told to do and do it well, or do what it is told to do but intentionally do it poorly or somehow corrupt the work, or to not do what it's told and resist.

And the player may or may not have agency in the real world, in the playing of the game, depending on his/her capacity to change the state of the shared fiction. But the process of doing that does not resemble throwing rocks or climbing walls in the real world - it resembles playing cops and robbers, or writing a story with some friends, or improv acting, though is not identical to any of those.

I don't know of any tabletop RPG where a player makes it true, in the fiction, that his/her PC has picked up a rock by actually doing it, ie actually picking up a rock.
Tabletop no, but what about LARP? In a LARP you would in fact pick up a rock...

And from there it's an easy step to try and bring the LARP ideals to the tabletop; in that you do everything in character as far as possible except for the actual action and movement bits. The main difference is that in a LARP you can bend down and pick up the rock you see where at a table you have to ask the DM whether there's a rock handy. Seems simple enough to me. :)

But all action declaration in a RPG depends upon the fictional positioning of the PC - you can't say "I pick up a rock" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some rocks; you can't say "I buy a shovel" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some friendly purveyors of shovels; etc.

In a game run on the basis of GM pre-authorship with secret elements of the gameworld, it is possible for a player to think that the fictional positioning is appropriate for declaring some action, but in fact it is not. So the player declares the action, and perhaps the GM even allows the dice to be rolled (or rolls them behind the screen), but the check will always fail (and thus the fiction not develop in the way that the player wants) because in fact the fictional positioning was not apposite.
Depending on the situation, that could be on the DM for not providing enough detail in narration; or it could be on the player for making assumptions about the situation instead of asking for clarification and-or more details first.

Also, there is nothing that ever says the fiction has to develop in the way that the player (and PC) wants - and this is my beef with "say yes or roll the dice" when in a say-yes (i.e. no meaningful stakes) situation: the DM is forced by the rules to say yes to something even though for reasons of internal gameworld consistency or plot development she doesn't want to. In other words, she's railroaded.

When in roll-the-dice mode, she's railroaded by the dice.

My reason for caring about (iiI) is that, if the secret is overwhelming and the players don't learn it, then the game has a feel of "rocks fall, everybody dies".
Or they just don't learn it and the game goes on without their knowing it.

I think that is fair game in classic dungeoneering - ToH is full of it - but I personally don't care for classic dungeoneering as a playstyle, and hence include (iii) as a desideratum. Both the examples I gave satisfy (iii) - a skill challenge isn't lost with a single failure; and one invisilbe foe (who is otherwise part of a fairly desinged encounter) isn't going to lead, in iteslf, to a TPK.
One invisible foe who can remain invisible while attacking (e.g. is under Improved Invisibility) can, if lucky, TPK a party.

And whether or not you in particular care for classic dungeoneering, it's still a major part of the overall game and thus not to be so easily dismissed.

As well as secret backstory, there can simply be unestablilshed backstory. Is there a rock nearby? Is the mace inthe tower? Will the captain of the starship respond sympathetically to a mayday call, even if that means going against strict security procedures? (That last one is from the Traveller thread I referenced a bit earlier in this thread.)

For this, I favour three possible approaches.

(1) If it's obviously inappropriate given genre and established backstory (eg Luke Crane's example of beam weapons in the Duke's toilet) then the answer is no. I would also extend this to low/no stakes distractions - "we search the bodies for loot". In my 4e game I'll often just say "They've got nothing valuable", rather than waste time on what is essentially a distraction - loot is on a "timer" (treasure parcels), and if I've got interesting ideas for how those parcels can come into play, I'm not intersted in spending time on paragon-tier PCs looting hobgoblins.
Even though in the 4e modules I've run the foes often do carry interesting stuff in the form of their in-use weapons or armour* that's not listed under their treasure but still has value. The modules (and the rules? not sure on this) seem to think this all disappears somehow when the foe dies or is defeated. Doesn't make sense, and blows away believability. (remember: I come from a gaming ethos where every shred of treasure we can carry out comes with us**, so yeah, I'd be looting those bodies every time even just for their weapons)

* - I can dig up examples if needed.
** - even though we don't use the xp-for-g.p. rule and haven't since before I started playing.

(2) If the player is looking for some enrichment of the framing to help support some other action declaration (eg S/he wants his/her PC to climb the compound wall - are there any trees nearby? S/he wants his her PC to throw a pebble at the bedroom window to wake the sleeper inside - is there a pebble lying on the ground nearby?) then I would say yes.
For the pebble, sure.

For the tree, if I knew ahead of time whether there's a tree there or not I'd narrate that; if I didn't, I'd roll. Reason for this is that the presence/absense of a tree is far more important than that of a pebble in that a tree can be climbed (as in the example), set on fire as a distraction, used as a hiding place, etc.

In other words, "Say 'yes' or roll the dice" is a GM-side technique, not a player side technique.
Fine, but in that case the DM should be doing the rolling.

Yes it is different.

A race between a PC and an NPC involves a non-static opponent and an in-doubt outcome...the same as if they were fighting each other rather than racing only the rules for fighting are many orders of magnitude more detailed. This needs dice.

A search for a map or a mace involves something static - the map or mace is where it is and the only doubt about the outcome is whether anyone finds it or not. This can be done via meaningless dice rolled by the DM or by simple narration; except in the room where the item actually is in which case the dice roll isn't meaningless and the DM narrates to what it says (unless the item is obvious e.g. the mace is mounted over the fireplace, in which case the DM just narrates that).

No. It's the omnipotence I personally don't enjoy (either as player or GM).

Consider the example of the mace.

If the GM is omnipotent, then when the player says "I search the tower for the mace" then either;

(1) I say no (1 -because that's what my notes say; 2 - that's what I feel like; 3 - I don't want my player's character to have a mace; whatever). That's personally not how I want to run a game - I regard it as railroading.
I've taken the liberty of inserting numbers in the quote just above, to break it out.

1 is perfectly valid. The notes/module/plan/ says the mace isn't here and thus it isn't going to be found here. This is not railroading in the commonly-accepted sense of the term, no matter how many times you want to say that it is.

2 and 3 are arguably railroading by any standard but more importantly are certainly examples of a DM playing in bad faith whether she's using prepared notes or not. Omnipotent power brings with it a responsibility to use it in good faith.

(2) I say yes. Where's the fun in that? Now the game is essentially about GM largesse, and every time something is up for grabs in the ficiton I'm the one who has to decide it. That's of zero interest to me also.
Ditto. Monty Haul, here we come. :)

(3) I roll some dice. That's what I had to do in my Traveller game the other day, when the PCs were trying to find an alien artefact on sale at a market on a world whose inhabitants have mixed human/alien ancestry. I think it's better than (1) or (2), but is a little bit like playing the game with myself rather than my friends. (Unfortunately, Traveller doesn't have an obviously better mechanic - though in our game I have the players roll the reaction rolls for NPCs, so they're more like influence checks, and in retrospect I probably should have improvised something similar on this occasion.)
If in doubt here and dice need to be rolled you as DM should be rolling them, because...

(4) The player rolls some dice, therefore (i) having a basic investment in the game play, and (ii) being in a position to bring player-side resources to bear. I like this best.
...if the player rolls and fails she knows she failed because of her own incompetence rather than being in the more realistic situation of doubt whether that was the cause or whether there's in fact nothing here to be found. It gives the player (and thus the PC) knowledge she shouldn't have.

As a player, I want to play my characer as I envision him/her,
Nothing can stop you doing this except a truly asshat DM.

not the GM's interpretation of my character and his/her situation.
You get to play and interpret your character but it's the DM's job to present the situation your character might find itself in.

In what you call the "traditional" model: the PCs aren't designed with built in hooks or drives or motivations (other than the most basic - we want loot and XP); the GM does not frame scenes that prompt choices driven by those motivations (eg look at [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s post, where in years of play the fact that his PC hopes to be a Senator has never been a principal focus of the game);
And in all fairness nor should it. There's 5 other players in that game, why should I be the special snowflake?

Now if in character I can talk the rest of 'em into going along with what I have in mind (this'll be a bit down the road, we're up to our ears in backlogged tasks and unfinished business right now) then OK, we're on. But it's on me to persuade them, not on the DM to proactively insert it.

And if I do manage to somehow persuade them into this the DM's (and some of our own) very elaborate plots within plots we've been working through for years are all probably going to go out the window. That said, I know from experience that he's quite capable of hitting the curveball. :)

and the GM does not narrate consequences in a way the leads naturally and inevitably into further scenes of that kind. Many posters on these boards, including [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] who is posting in this thread, not only design adventures independently of knowing what PCs the players will be playing, but advocate that as the best way to run a game: that may be standard for the "traditional" model, but is completely antithetical to what Eero Tuovinen is talking about.
Traditional's where it's at, baby! :)

Likewise, many posters on these boards (none yet in this thread, I think) assert that it is "contried" or "artificial" for the GM to deliberately frame situations so that they pull on the PC backstories; indeed, many GMs (again, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] is a professed example) regard player-author backstory as a completley optinal consideration for the GM.
Of course, as I know some players (often including me) can't be bothered to do 'em.

The whole bit with the Senate ambition came about during play - it was never in her backstory. In fact, she's one of those many characters for whom I didn't even bother figuring out her history until she'd survived a few adventures and looked like she was going to stick around awhile.

Look at an AP - with the villains pre-established, all the major scenes sketched out in advance, the climax already written - and then actually imagine playing a game in the way Tuovinen describes it: the players deciding what will be important to their PCs, the GM using those hooks to frame situations and guide the adjudication of consequences, and then ask yourself how could an AP be used in that game? It couldn't. You may be able to take ideas or little vignettes from it (that's how I use modules) but you couldn't "run the AP", because that woudl require knowing all the consequences in advance, and hence all the motivations and choices and the outcomes of those choices in advance; which can't be done.
Yes, hard APs are somewhat intended to be railroady but most of the time all involved know going in what they've signed up for and are cool with it.

Lan-"I've baked homebrew APs into bigger campaigns as what amount to multi-adventure story arcs but have never run one stand-alone"-efan

pemerton

Legend
Huh?

How in blazes does the player of a PC who is enslaved by some other being get to in any way determine the details of what the enslaving being asks it to do? That has to come from the enslaver, doesn't it?

The only options an enslaved PC has are to do what it is told to do and do it well, or do what it is told to do but intentionally do it poorly or somehow corrupt the work, or to not do what it's told and resist.
I'll just reply to this for the moment.

I gave an example upthread. One of the PCs in my Burning Wheel game is subject to Force of Will (approximately equal to Domination, in D&D terms) from a dark naga. He has been since his second session.

The player wrote a Belief about serving his master (maybe with a more detailed than that - I haven't got the PC sheet in front of me), and since then has been pursuing that belief. The player plays the game just like everyone else, with exactly the same degree of agency in declaring actions for his PC and finding out what happens.

It's not that complicated!

EDIT: OK, I'll also respond to the comment about doubt.

You say it's in doubt as to who will win the race, but not as to where the map is. But the only reason that it's in doubt as to who wins the race is because no one has written that bit of the story yet. The location of the map could just as easily be unwritten. Similarly, the outcome of the race could just as easily be written - there are modules, for instance, that specify that certain NPCs escape or survive no matter what actions the players declare.

So why does the GM get to decide that the map is here rather than there, without need to subject that to the rigours of action resolution? I'm not saying there's no answer, but it can't be because the GM has decided. That's just begging the question.

Last edited:

Sebastrd

Explorer
This is why I don't like it as a GMing method: when I'm GMing I want to find out what happens; not to take suggestions, consider input, and the decide what happens. The way I do this is by following the rules for action resolution.

Congrats. You're free to play the way you enjoy. That doesn't make your way the "right"way, but it seems that was the entire purpose of this thread - and we all knew it.

Your inability to understand why I prefer to play a different way has no bearing on the validity of that playstyle. Happy gaming.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Congrats. You're free to play the way you enjoy. That doesn't make your way the "right"way, but it seems that was the entire purpose of this thread - and we all knew it.

Your inability to understand why I prefer to play a different way has no bearing on the validity of that playstyle. Happy gaming.

They sound kind of like someone who is tired of GM'ing and wants to play, but doesn't trust anyone else to GM for them, so they want a game were the GM just handles rules adjudications then gets out of the way while the players all describe how cool their characters are and how they are going to succeed (in a cool fashion) at whatever it is they have decided they are doing.

Which can certainly work if everyone is on the same page, but if they aren't it sounds like the game could suffer from conflicting versions of reality as presented by different players.

Kind of (but not exactly) like the difference between a single author creating a consistent setting for their stories, and a bunch of writers creating a shared universe, but being unable to agree on exactly what is allowed in the setting...and them being forced to put all their characters in the same stories anyway. So you have Jimmie Grimdark the brooding paladin with a dark past, Jennifer DDisaster the busty enchantress who has never found a situation she can't seduce her way out of, and Timmy "Solid Naga" Jones - who has an assault rifle and can find ammunition by breaking crates and barrels. For reasons. (Kind of went off on a tangent there...)

Or not. What do I know.

Last edited:

Remove ads