D&D 5E Dwarves are the best spellcasters?

I was always confused why Unlimited as a thief, but quite limited as a Fighter. It still makes no sense.

Especially since dwarves were limited to 17 Dex in 1e. They made sub-par thieves, but they could still go as far as they wanted!

If you're going to have level limits and banned classes (which obviously has its issues, since it has long since been abandoned), I like the way Dragonlance did it - make one or two classes that fit each of the races' themes and make them unlimited, and then limit or ban the others (dwarves were unlimited as fighters, elves as rangers and magic-users, and so on). That makes characters much more thematically logical, and gives someone who wants to play that race a reasonable way to go for unlimited advancement.

snickersnax

Explorer
I was always confused why Unlimited as a thief, but quite limited as a Fighter. It still makes no sense.

A friend of mine recently shared this with me:

I also found a reference to why thieves were allowed unlimited advancement in levels...
“A demi-human is unlimited in thief level only,” Gary explained, “as this is a class not destined to control the fate of major groups or states.”

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

I also found a reference to why thieves were allowed unlimited advancement in levels...
“A demi-human is unlimited in thief level only,” Gary explained, “as this is a class not destined to control the fate of major groups or states.”

Except that Gary literally had empires and nations ruled by Dwarves and Elves.

Staffan

Legend

Hah!

Henry

Autoexreginated

...Insert joke about politicians here...

Remove ads