D&D 5E The Monk - What is the monk to you and why?

Celebrim

Legend
If your point is that the monk is badly designed, why not say so instead of using a word like "orientalism"?

Let's just drop this. This isn't going anywhere useful.

Your misquoting me. I don't know why you think that the quote you just made or the emphasis you added is illustrative, when clearly I'm referring back to some earlier discussion. When I originally used the term it was thusly:

So, originally, the Monk is the Kwai Chang Caine from the TV series Kung Fu. Don't ask me why anyone thought this was a good idea, but you know everyone was 'kung fu fighting' back then. It might make some very superficial sense in the context of an exclusively Eastern inspired setting, but even this actually falls down hard on inspection. First, in an Eastern inspired setting, there wouldn't be a 'martial artist class' because everyone knows 'martial arts'. In an Eastern inspired setting 'martial arts' are simply 'knowing how to fight'. The very notion of a martial artist class is an Orientalism. Further, the notion that martial arts are exclusively Eastern and that there is some fundamental difference in fighting between the East and the West beyond style and flavor is itself an unsupportable bit of Orientalism.

Now, it's pretty clear that my point is not solely that it is badly designed, and in any event if I assert that it is badly designed I must also provide supporting evidence for that. So why in the above context are you taking exception to me using the word Orientalism? What's your problem with it in the context I originally used it?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As I think about the monk to jedi analogy, I think one problem is that no one wants to go through the ranks. Jedi initiates and regular nontrained force sensitive people act like rogues. A level 1-2 monks would still be easily beat up in a fight fight against a trained warrior. Much like the no-name monks in a kung fu movie. It takes a few levels and class features to get to the scary Jedi Knight/Masterbender/StreetFighter stage. Jedi in the Star Wars Universe benefit from being in a world with very few "High level" humaniod threats for long periods of time though.

To me, the monks is a trickster that uses a warrior tactic in combat. Much like a bugbear or a hobgoblin is a normal goblin who uses real warrior tactics (rather than the goblin tactic of hide, cheat, and flee if it didn't work). But getting a "rogue-class" to work as a warrior sometimes has failed too many times in D&D history so.....

The might need to be a warrior in order to fake it.

Gold Roger

First Post
To me the monk belongs to D&D as much the cleric, the druid or the barbarian.

He's called a monk and not a martial artist, just as the barbarian isn't called berserker. It's just the class name and not a in game label. And importantly, that class name is part of the games tradition.

To me they aren't an oriental element. I deal with monks in my setting by tying them to other D&D traditions. Monks fight combat styles taught by devils and archons, they fight in styles developed by lizardmen to imitate dragons. Some even fight the rare monitor style of the kuo-toa.

The monk allows players the option of a mystic unarmed unarmored character that isn't a spellcaster. In some settings that might be a shaolin. In some it's a holy man. In an ancient greek setting he might be an olympic athlete.

gyor

Legend
All I know is I'm fine with the monk having a d10 hp. Truth be told I doubt that superclass will have anymore effect then that on classes.

Sadrik

First Post
The Fighter is based around the idea of the mastery of weapons, including for example, ones hands as weapons. Additionally, they also own a sub-area martial arts in the form of Warcraft and fighting along side others that is distinctly theirs and includes the idea of the Captain, Marshall, or Warlord.
I don't agree, I believe the fighter is for beating heads in and taking a punishment and keep going. That does not absolutely require weapons, It means they will have a method and attack based on their abilities and equipment. I feel unarmed could be an excellent method.

I'm not a big fan of Book of Nine Swords. I've strived hard to as much as possible avoid turning martial classes into spell-casters in disguise. Much of the mechanics in Bo9S felt very gamey to me and where ultimately justified for game reasons, and not for any other that I could see.
I did not like the mechanics of bo9s, I liked the concepts though. I liked that the "fighter" in bo9s had some nifty abilities. I did not like the resource management of the system. I feel like it would have been better suited to have made the abilities feats, rather than "spells". Why I brought it up though is the Warblade and Swordsage, one was a stout d12 warrior type who took a punishment and had a few abilities, while the swordsage was a 3/4 BAB guy who had lots of abilities. This is how the I see the rogue and the fighter. Granted the rogue would have more rogue like abilities but they have more abilities.

However, I consider 'combat tricks' to be primarily the domain of the Fighter. 'Combat tricks' are part of the general 'mastery of technique' concept that I feel is central to the Fighter class. The Rogue I see based more around mobility, stealth, deception, and the application of non-combat skills to combat situations.
Again I do not agree. The rogue even as currently written has a lot of combat abilities. Sneak attack is massive. Mobility and stealth and deception are also utilized in combat. Out of combat too, but these are their combat abilities! Does the monk have to have the same mix of that stuff for them to be in the "trickster" group? No they might have other abilities. They still have the most abilities, or should. Not all the abilities need to be combat related. They should be skilled in many areas. Fighters should have abilities too, just not as many and their abilities are more in the stock numbers d12 HD, any armor or weapon, hit and damage consistently well etc.

pemerton

Legend
I think monk is related to paladin, for what that is worth.
I agree. In 4e, for instance, there are at least two ways of building a monk-like character: the monk class, and the avenger class.

You can also see this if you look at Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, in which his monk variant is The Oathsworn.
[MENTION=63508]Minigiant[/MENTION], [MENTION=40233]Salamandyr[/MENTION] - I think your arguments, if followed through on, will tend to produce "monks" that no one will play. For instance, no one in a typical D&D game is going to build a 10th level fighter but then drop their armour and weapons and fight bare-handed against 5th level monsters. That's unreaslistic except in some pretty niche situations. So for those who want to play someone who fits the Jet Li or Crouching Tiger archetype, we need a class that makes fighting without arms or armour mechanically viable. And it needs to do so from 1st level, much like a paladin or fighter or thief needs to be a viable representation of their basic archetype from 1st level.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I agree. In 4e, for instance, there are at least two ways of building a monk-like character: the monk class, and the avenger class.

You can also see this if you look at Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, in which his monk variant is The Oathsworn.

@Minigiant , @Salamandyr - I think your arguments, if followed through on, will tend to produce "monks" that no one will play. For instance, no one in a typical D&D game is going to build a 10th level fighter but then drop their armour and weapons and fight bare-handed against 5th level monsters. That's unreaslistic except in some pretty niche situations. So for those who want to play someone who fits the Jet Li or Crouching Tiger archetype, we need a class that makes fighting without arms or armour mechanically viable. And it needs to do so from 1st level, much like a paladin or fighter or thief needs to be a viable representation of their basic archetype from 1st level.

If somebody wants to play a Jet Li or Crouching Tiger style character, then maybe they should play in a campaign that caters to that kind of style, rather than trying to insert them into a game where their power level makes the other characters look like losers.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
The monk as you conceive is only a higher level monk. That is fine. But others see a low level version. And what is more the game has long had lower level versions too, so it isn't like you shouldn't be able to see where those lower level versions come from. I'm a little confused by you here.

I do agree that a monk is probably a warrior (see above) instead of a 'rogue'. I think you are skipping a step though.

My big issue is the 'as good as a guy with a sword.' Assuming you mean fighters, then I think there is a false dichotomy here. In 3e for example, the monk honed his training to gain fists as strong as swords. Those swords are short swords, 1d6. The fighter is typically using either TWF (2 short swords (1d6)), 2H (greatsword at 2d6+1.5 STR), even a sword and board (1d8 longsword and a shield). So, while "as sharp as a sword" is in play that is hardly what defines the difference. The monk, historically, didn't have the same BAB, or likeliness to hit. And so on. I think that you are overly worried about the guy who has hard fists when looking at this issue -as even when his fists went up to 2d10 (I believe, don't have my books with me atm) he was still woefully underpowered compared to the fighter who had his 2d6 greatsword with up to +10 enchantments on it. Not to mention that the monk only had bludgeoning fists, whereas the fighter has a wider range.

The monk, as he appears in most editions, from level 1 does things that are outside the abilities of a normal human being...and this is neither metagamey, we're not going to explain it things like hit points, or explicit magic. Nope, their concept is that they, either through monastic tradition or access to super secret martial arts that the rest of the world isn't privy to, are "better" than others around them.

This isn't surprising. We know from stories from those who played in the original games that the monk was modeled after Caine from Kung Fu, the premise of which was here was this guy with all this super secret training from the East, by dint of which he could take on gunfighters. And of course, 70's D&D was still full of the misconceptions about Western martial arts, that knights needed cranes to mount their horses, and swords were iron bars weighing 10 to 20 pounds, etc.

You are correct, that, in game terms the monk has, in general, not at the same attack bonus as the fighter. He has always received abilities that were ostensibly supposed to be just as good (it is fortunate for the fighter that they have never quite managed to equal in actuality). But the essential fact remains...in the world the monk inhabits, weapons are the domain of those who choose not to exercise their full ability. They're a shortcut, a crutch. The real badasses don't need swords, or armor at all. Yes, a first level monk doesn't take on dragons. But the low level monk takes on everything the low level fighter does...with no clothes on.

Actually, I happen to agree with the first and last paragraph here. You are comparing high level individuals (and gods) to mortal heroes of a different genre and then saying the problem is that they're... oriental and don't fit?

Exactly where the heck did you get the idea that I thought they don't fit because they're oriental? The word oriental doesn't appear anywhere in my post. The idea of a warrior monk fits fine in Western fantasy...especially considering that warrior monks existed in Europe. For example, the Knights Templar, Teutonic Knights, etc were all warrior monks. The warriors of Sparta fit the monk ideal...monastic warriors who eschew all else to train their bodies for war in service to a higher cause. The hero school of Chiron the centaur even sounds a lot like an Eastern monastery; secluded mountain top temple where young men grow up honing their bodies to be the greatest heroes they can be.

No, my contention is that Chinese pulp entertainment (kung fu and wushu films, comics and books), the kind of stuff the monk class was designed to imitate, is closer to Western mythology than Western pulp fiction that the other D&D classes are designed to emulate. Jet Li's character in Hero does all the stuff he does in that movie because that's what fighters do in that kind of story, not because he's a different character class than, for instance, Lancelot.

I also get the second paragraph. I disagree but I get it. In the crouching tiger movies, not everyone can do the crazy balance on a treetop acrobatics. Most can't in fact. D'Artagnan wouldn't have the training needed to do it. He would get schooled by the fighters in that world but I get what you mean. But again that has to do with high level/gods and a sword made of jade? (it's been a long time since I've seen the movie) vs. a guy in a blue tabard and a sword that would easily shatter in the same circumstances.

But I think all that has to do with campaign expectations and little or nothing to do with the classes that are used. Good try. But I think it fails because the monk isn't "oriental kung fu guy" he is ascetic (though not necessarily, see backgrounds) holy man/sage/warrior.

Well, I'm not sure why you disagree, but okay. Yes, in the Crouching Tiger movies, not everyone can fly...the mooks, nobodies, and untrained don't fly. The ability to fly is intended to show that you are a powerful warrior. If D'Artagnan was a character in that story, he'd fly too, because he's a powerful warrior. In fact, there's a lot of similarities between his background and the monk (not surprising, since the monk is just a variation on a Campbellian archetype). He's a traveller from a remote land who has been trained by a wise old wizard/warrior and has access to certain secret techniques not available to other men.

That's the way the rules of Crouching Tiger work. You train long enough, under the right masters, and you fly. By contrast, put Li Mu Bai in The Three Musketeers and he wouldn't fly. Because powerful warriors don't fly in The Three Musketeers. He also probably wouldn't be deflecting musket balls with his sword. But he'd be the baddest ass swordsman around, save for D'Artagnan and Rochefort, and be quite impressive. It's just in one campaign, high level fighters get class ability "fly", and in the other they don't.

pemerton

Legend
If somebody wants to play a Jet Li or Crouching Tiger style character, then maybe they should play in a campaign that caters to that kind of style, rather than trying to insert them into a game where their power level makes the other characters look like losers.
their concept is that they, either through monastic tradition or access to super secret martial arts that the rest of the world isn't privy to, are "better" than others around them.

<snip>

But the essential fact remains...in the world the monk inhabits, weapons are the domain of those who choose not to exercise their full ability. They're a shortcut, a crutch.
I think we would all agree that, in game mechanical terms, it is possible to build a vibrant monk-ish character class that is mechanically balanced (see eg the 4e monk).

So I am taking it that your concerns about power refere to the ingame fiction. In which case I don't see how the monk is any different from the paladin (all warriors are more badass when they have the gods behind them) or the wizard (only I, of all mortals, can master these arcane secrets).

Remove ads