The Orville - Season 1

I would so love a sci-fi show to focus on traditional military style structured away teams. The various Stargate series came closest, but too often in even in that franchise, higher-ranked or invaluable personnel were sent into dangerous situations.
Even then, Stargate had a Colonel and Major going off with a few volunteer personnel into missions. That's not much better then sending down a captain and lt. commander.

The idea of sending mooks down is a good one. But then you have two different casts: the one on the bridge and the one going planetside.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Even then, Stargate had a Colonel and Major going off with a few volunteer personnel into missions. That's not much better then sending down a captain and lt. commander.

The idea of sending mooks down is a good one. But then you have two different casts: the one on the bridge and the one going planetside.

Nah, you just film the show about the mooks- THEY'RE the stars. The higher ranked officers get screen time only when issuing orders. Like Charlie's Angels.

Ryujin

Legend
Nah, you just film the show about the mooks- THEY'RE the stars. The higher ranked officers get screen time only when issuing orders. Like Charlie's Angels.

I was hoping that was the sort of thing we'd be seeing in Discovery; a serious take on "Red Shirt Diaries." No such luck, it would seem. Any team going planetside would involve an officer (probably Lt., but perhaps as high as Cmdr), a senior NCO, and some grunts/sciencey types depending upon the mission.

Last edited:

That would be interesting. A "lower decks" series.
The funny thing was that's a little like how Discovery was teased, with a protagonist that's a lt. commander. And people wondered how that would work...

Orius

Legend
2) when they opened the "sun roof" after thousands of years, there were surprised inhabitants, but nothing like happened in Asimov's "Nightfall". Of course, just because they hadn't seen genuine space, it doesn't necessarily follow that the ship didn't have simulated day/night cycles. Of course, if you've got that roof, why simulate night?

Nightfall was the first thing that came to my mind when they opened that up.

And I found the "Boom, bitch!" line to be hilarious. Mostly because I was thinking just how badly out of character that would be for someone like Worf or Tuvok in that situation.

Tonight's episode was pretty good too. I think the Mr. Potato Head scene was one of the funnier ones so far.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, not only was that incomprehensible, it was way too soapy too.

I guess the sole redeeming factor is if the transport thingy is still there in his drawer; explaining how that tech entered the Orville universe.

Other than that: meh

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Ryujin

Legend
Nightfall was the first thing that came to my mind when they opened that up.

And I found the "Boom, bitch!" line to be hilarious. Mostly because I was thinking just how badly out of character that would be for someone like Worf or Tuvok in that situation.

Tonight's episode was pretty good too. I think the Mr. Potato Head scene was one of the funnier ones so far.

While something like the leg as a response was predictable (it was going to be something hugely inappropriate), it was still funny to me. I thought that the whole thing played out like a TNG episode, barring the comedy relief. Reminded me a bit of the Matt Frewer episode of TNG.

Richards

Legend
I did notice that while the leg seemed to have been removed below the knee, when it fell from its hiding place in the ceiling it looked to have been removed closer to the hip. It must have been regenerating up there in its hiding place! Good thing they found it when they did or it might have eventually grown into another full-grown helmsman!

Also, I see we got some sort of "photon torpedo" in this episode - the weapon the Orville used to shut down the wormhole. What with the potential for the teleport device to become a future "transporter" technology, about all we're missing from Star Trek now is a universal translator - although given the fact that all of the alien species are speaking the same language, we can assume there's something like that already in play, if not out on display front and center.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases