D&D 5E Xanathar's Elven Accuracy

Nikioko

First Post
Ah. Those are the gods your character follows?
Just Mitra. My patron is a solar out of Mitra's domain. As a logic, if you have a celestial warlock, you shouldn't have a CE deity (and if you are a feind warlock, no LG god, of course)

Under most situations, where a crit does less than double damage, that is true. Warpiglet is aiming for a crit into which to dump spell slots as a smite however, doubling the benefit of the slot used.
OK, I see. Didn't get that.

If your DM opts not to use that subclass, then obviously it isn't an option. Or perhaps your DM just doesn't allow cleric/warlock multiclass anyway ;)
We wil see. But if the patron himself is a servant of the god to become cleric of, I have a strong argument. ;-)

Last edited:

We wil see. But if the patron himself is a servant of the god to become cleric of, I have a strong argument. ;-)
Mitra is a deity of pacts and covenants aren't they? Maybe forming and upholding a pact with one of their servants is a test before being granted power by Mitra themselves.

Nikioko

First Post
Mitra is a deity of pacts and covenants aren't they? Maybe forming and upholding a pact with one of their servants is a test before being granted power by Mitra themselves.
In the Lost Lands setting, Mitra is the emerging new god of law, justice and the sun, gradually replacing the older deities Thyr (law and justice) and Solanus (sun and healing), combining their domains. And yes, the basic idea of the character is that he first has to prove his loyalty under the supervision of a solar, before he is granted power from the god himself.

Nikioko

First Post
I'm talking about overall chance from needing 20 to needing 1 to hit.

Also +1,67 is bonus of elven accuracy over already present advantage.

Advantage alone gives average +3,32 bonus over normal d20 roll.

elven accuracy gives total +5 bonus over normal 1d20 roll.
____

That's correct. But the question isn't "What is the the average throw of a) 1d20, b) 2d20 drop 1 and c) 3d20 drop 2" but: "My opponent has AC 18. Since I have a +5 proficiency in my weapon, I need a 13 to hit. What is the propability to throw at least one 13 with a) 1d20, b) 2d20 and c) 3d20?"

Answer:
1d20: 40%
2d20: 64%
3d20: 78.4%

Or, to get a full table:
p 1d20p 2d20p 3d20p+ 2d/1dp+ 3d/1dp+ 3d/2d
1100,00%100,00%100,00%0,00%0,00%0,00%
295,00%99,75%99,99%5,00%5,25%0,24%
390,00%99,00%99,90%10,00%11,00%0,91%
485,00%97,75%99,66%15,00%17,25%1,96%
580,00%96,00%99,20%20,00%24,00%3,33%
675,00%93,75%98,44%25,00%31,25%5,00%
770,00%91,00%97,30%30,00%39,00%6,92%
865,00%87,75%95,71%35,00%47,25%9,07%
960,00%84,00%93,60%40,00%56,00%11,43%
1055,00%79,75%90,89%45,00%65,25%13,97%
1150,00%75,00%87,50%50,00%75,00%16,67%
1245,00%69,75%83,36%55,00%85,25%19,52%
1340,00%64,00%78,40%60,00%96,00%22,50%
1435,00%57,75%72,54%65,00%107,25%25,61%
1530,00%51,00%65,70%70,00%119,00%28,82%
1625,00%43,75%57,81%75,00%131,25%32,14%
1720,00%36,00%48,80%80,00%144,00%35,56%
1815,00%27,75%38,59%85,00%157,25%
39,05%
1910,00%19,00%27,10%90,00%171,00%42,63%
5,00%
9,75%
14,26%
95,00%
185,25%
46,28%

As you see, the harder an opponent is to hit, the more important is having advantage or even Elven Accuracy.
If you e.g. have to throw a 13 to hit, Advantage gives you a 60% in the probability to hit and Elven Accuracy gives you another 22.5% on top which mean an overall +96% probability to hit. Thus, your chance to strike your opponent is almost doubled. And the harder the enemies are to hit, the higher this bonus is.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
[MENTION=6916036]Keravath[/MENTION] you are right, 5E offers many new possibilities to envision a different Kind of Paladin, with or without multiclassing.

Otoh you yourself gave "Fitting" examples of mc combinations: Your Oath of Ancients paladin/fey warlock , it does not break anything. I totally would allow this mc if the oath of anciants would fit in my campaign Setting and if it were agreed with the Players that mc is an Option.

But more often than not in my campaigns certain (sometimes much more mundane) classes or races just do not fit easily. E.g. A (classic) Paladin in Ravenloft. I am old School (repeating myself lol) and for me in ravenloft still the following 2e rule is in effect as a 5e houserule: A Domain ruler instantly is Aware of a Paladin in his Domain, he knows his exact Location at any given time and most propably will give the Paladin "special attention" which normally spells instant death for the pally.

E.g. a Monk in a dark sun campaign, trivialises many of the signature challenges of that Setting.

E.g. a drow/dragonborn/tiefling eventually a halforc in any vanilla campaign (not official FR):
He would be considered a monster by normal People and eventually hunted down / torched along with the rest of the Party.

As a DM i do not want to find Workarounds to some of my Standard assumptions or ideas how a certain Setting might work just to include every space hamster ninja pirate PC. Of course i discuss that upfront with my Players and they have to agree to these restrictions. If someone of them has a Special idea i will make it possible if it is possible at all but that might alter the whole Setting / npcs Mobs etc etc

In this post you say your motive is to keep out PC's whose mechanics are inappropriate for a particular campaign; one example is create water for DarkSun, which if it worked normally would mean that the DarkSun setting would not make sense. Fair enough, I suppose.

But in other posts your motive is how the players roleplay their own characters. YOU imagine that ALL rogues steal, therefore even though MY rogue/swashbuckler is honourable to a fault and would never dream of stealing, that MY PC is barred from the paladin class for something he doesn't do! Those who steal cannot be paladins (according to you! But for the sake of argument...), but MY PC who has never stolen a thing in his life and never will CANNOT be a paladin because he steals...?

What, are you going to take my rogue class abilities away unless I steal something?

Punishing players mechanically, like taking their :):):):)ing class abilities away(!), just because the player is not conforming to YOUR outdated stereotype and is instead playing his OWN damn character is beyond the pale.

Coroc

Hero
In this post you say your motive is to keep out PC's whose mechanics are inappropriate for a particular campaign; one example is create water for DarkSun, which if it worked normally would mean that the DarkSun setting would not make sense. Fair enough, I suppose.

But in other posts your motive is how the players roleplay their own characters. YOU imagine that ALL rogues steal, therefore even though MY rogue/swashbuckler is honourable to a fault and would never dream of stealing, that MY PC is barred from the paladin class for something he doesn't do! Those who steal cannot be paladins (according to you! But for the sake of argument...), but MY PC who has never stolen a thing in his life and never will CANNOT be a paladin because he steals...?

What, are you going to take my rogue class abilities away unless I steal something?

Punishing players mechanically, like taking their :):):):)ing class abilities away(!), just because the player is not conforming to YOUR outdated stereotype and is instead playing his OWN damn character is beyond the pale.

See you get me wrong again, I would not deny a DS water cleric the create water spell it would be altered eventually in its amount created. But this is a resource, if it is not a cantrip in 5e, I am to lazy to look it up right now, it takes a spell slot of the cleric. Whereas other boons like monk unarmed fighting or barbarian shticks are constant boons that is a totally different factor.

You and others tend to forget that it is not only the players but also the DM who wants to have fun on his table, and part of my fun is challenge not only with a good adventure but with sometimes with restrictions on the RAW. Since I do not dm AL or tournaments that is total fair game.

And in your case with a noble aka Robin hood / peter pan kind of swashbuckler I would probably not have this much problem with a mc if the player wants to play exactly that kind of character and it fits into the campaign. But I would discuss such extra gimmicks upfront, as you should have read in the post you were quoting. Instead you call my kind of game pale ... well I can do that too then imho your gaming is powercreep and I doubt you did not chose that build for some extragadget the pally rogue can pull of. See, it is all about opinions not about founded arguments to call out someone elses style.

Arial Black

Adventurer
See you get me wrong again, I would not deny a DS water cleric the create water spell it would be altered eventually in its amount created. But this is a resource, if it is not a cantrip in 5e, I am to lazy to look it up right now, it takes a spell slot of the cleric. Whereas other boons like monk unarmed fighting or barbarian shticks are constant boons that is a totally different factor.

You and others tend to forget that it is not only the players but also the DM who wants to have fun on his table, and part of my fun is challenge not only with a good adventure but with sometimes with restrictions on the RAW. Since I do not dm AL or tournaments that is total fair game.

And in your case with a noble aka Robin hood / peter pan kind of swashbuckler I would probably not have this much problem with a mc if the player wants to play exactly that kind of character and it fits into the campaign. But I would discuss such extra gimmicks upfront, as you should have read in the post you were quoting. Instead you call my kind of game pale ... well I can do that too then imho your gaming is powercreep and I doubt you did not chose that build for some extragadget the pally rogue can pull of. See, it is all about opinions not about founded arguments to call out someone elses style.

It's not about power creep or the DM's right to adjust the game rules for non-standard settings.

It is about the DM trying to tell me that my PC must be a thief/drunkard/Lawful Stupid based on the character class! I will do my own characterisation, thank you very much!

Judge: So, Sir Simon PureHeart, you stand accused of theft. How do you plead?
PureHeart: Not Guilty! I have never stolen anything in my life!
Judge: Do you or do you not have one level of Rogue?
PureHeart: Er, yes, but only because I wanted Expertise in Athletics to enhance my Shield Mastery to bash Evil more effectively!
Judge: Doesn't matter. Rogues are ALL thieves, and therefore because you have the training to steal you must have stolen something. Guilty!
PureHeart: But, my Lord, Paladins are fully trained to hack people to pieces! It doesn't mean that every paladin is automatically guilty of murder! So being trained to steal doesn't mean that I actually ever stole anything!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's not about power creep or the DM's right to adjust the game rules for non-standard settings.

It is about the DM trying to tell me that my PC must be a thief/drunkard/Lawful Stupid based on the character class! I will do my own characterisation, thank you very much!

Judge: So, Sir Simon PureHeart, you stand accused of theft. How do you plead?
PureHeart: Not Guilty! I have never stolen anything in my life!
Judge: Do you or do you not have one level of Rogue?
PureHeart: Er, yes, but only because I wanted Expertise in Athletics to enhance my Shield Mastery to bash Evil more effectively!
Judge: Doesn't matter. Rogues are ALL thieves, and therefore because you have the training to steal you must have stolen something. Guilty!
PureHeart: But, my Lord, Paladins are fully trained to hack people to pieces! It doesn't mean that every paladin is automatically guilty of murder! So being trained to steal doesn't mean that I actually ever stole anything!

I’m convinced. Pureheart is guilty.

Henry

Autoexreginated
To understand where I come from is to understand that if someone plays a pally at my table, I expect him to act it out. And no holy knight of lawful goodness would see any point in taking up the job of a guy who steals from other people. Nor would he take up the life of a common soldier, whoring, drinking and gambling to spend their war loot.
A “thief” is not the only type of rogue, however - that’s a pretty singular mindset. A swashbuckler-type, or an investigator-type who works with the law, who uses quickness and precision to be effective in combat, can be a valid Paladin. An Oath of Devotion and an investigator Paladin in fact would synergize pretty well - as would the dueling style and swashbuckling archetype.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION] Yup, that style of rogue/pally might work rp wise, but not many else.

You and [MENTION=6799649]Arial Black[/MENTION] have thus convinced me so far and i will send Aragorn the dual wield drow ninja turtle Hobbit pirate to the rescue of the unjustly incarcerated Sir Pureheart, so he might earn enough XP to take a dip in light cleric so he can self heal between double backstabs :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases