D&D 5E What kind of character would you play?

I'm also 'stuck' as a DM. Not sure I could actually quit it, though. Of course, one can still dream.
I've thought of two characters I'd make:

Human Valor Bard
A northern skald in his late 50's with one eye missing (hence low WIS), with a long history of travelling who's since ran out of original stories to tell, so he decided to make some new ones. Valor Bards are the ultimate jack of all trades, master of none class; I could make the most of finally playing a character while still committing myself to a good RP.

Eladrin Fey Knight
Either Fey Pact Warlock or Ancient Paladin, could be either. It's just such an interesting concept, to play an Elf who's to other Elves what Elves are to humans. Dial all the magical weirdness and capricious joie de vivre up to 11.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Chaos Sorcerer, for sure. I fortunately do play, but sometimes there are concepts that don't fit the campaign a DM has planned, and this is one of them. I want to explore it, but either the campaign's not right, or I am still a bit afraid of the lack of versatility with the class. But a Human Chaos Sorcerer, with the Lucky feat, is a character I'd like to play around whom reality seems to warp and distort - someone for which chaos seems to follow, like a wizardly version of the comic book characters Longshot or Domino.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
How about Gordon Lightfoot, the halfling glamour bard?

You know you want to.

No, I really don't.

The only sub-classes I find interesting from Xanathar's are the Storm Herald Barbarian*, the Forge and Grave Clerics, the Shepard Druid, the Samurai Fighter, the Scout Rogue, and the Divine Soul Sorcerer.

*even if it is the weakest of the new barbarian sub-classes.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
A character I've thought of recently that I would like to try out is a half-orc barbarian/wizard. He dresses like a typical barbarian (if there is such a thing) but rather than the stereotypical dumb barbarian is actually quite intelligent and is able to surprise his foes with some magic. Sure he won't be able to cast or concentrate on spells while raging but just the thought of having a few spells as backup to his melee capability I think would be fun to have.

I'd probably have him speak like he's a little stupid to begin with "Krunk have axe, what if Krunk hit him with axe" and then turn around later in the game and say "Look, I know we are in a bit of a predicament, but I happen to have just the right spell to get us out of here."

I actually did pretty much this exact character in an Out of the Abyss campaign. He was a half-orc fighter with the Noble background who was the bastard son of an aristocrat and had been highly educated. For the first three sessions of the campaign, he called himself "Gronk" and pretended to be a dumb brute as a defense mechanism in Velkynvelve, because he was afraid the other prisoners would attack him. At level three he was alone with another character and desperately announced that his real name was Sir William Cartwright and his father would pay a huge reward if the other character would just get him out of the Underdark alive. He took the Eldritch Knight subclass. His fake identity was fully blown when circumstances forced him to use mage hand to do something, which was great moment as it really blew the minds of the rest of the party.

Also been wanting to play a super stealthy Gloom Stalker maybe multiclassed into Shadow Monk or Rogue.
Ah, we're thinking along the same lines...

In a rare chance to play recently, I've created a Githzerai Arcane Trickster with a charlatan background. Just arrived at level 3 in what is an Underdark campaign. Expertise in Thieves' Tools and... Persuasion. And he has Illusory Script as a 1st level spell because terrible-rated spells deserve a chance to shine, too.
I'm already tinkering with the idea at 4th level that I will dip into Ranger (Gloom Stalker) with aberrations as a favored enemy. After that, I'm entertaining Monk (Way of the Shadow) and then, the topper, Druid (Circle of the Land - Underdark). So perhaps the PC will end up Rogue 3/Ranger 4/Monk 5/Druid 2 before adding the final six levels spread out in some flavorful way among those four classes... most likely monk to get the auto-spider climb and Cloak of Shadows...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Having recently reread David Eddings, I've been itching to play a druid with an outlander (barbarian) background, focused on the bear as a spirit animal. Get wildshape at level 2, then progress as a barbarian from then on out, with a bear totem of course.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Wealthy, fashionable, self-centered noble sorcerer/paladin -- a combination of Tahani from The Good Place and Rarity from My Little Pony, but with more swords and fireballs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases