Make New Races: Wingin' It

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Umm. Isn't this why Morrus set up the 5E Databases?

Perhaps you guys should post your races there. You might get more feedback too.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Totally :) I just need to balance them with the races in my world thou :p
-snip kenku stuff-
Thoughts?

I also noticed that the designers don't like to "step on the toes" of other races or classes. So are any of the races we presented doing another races "thang"?

It's tough to make suggestions, not knowing what it is you are balancing against in your own homebrew.

Maybe, if the hawk kenku used to have shocking grasp as a spell, instead of going with their magic at 3rd, 5th, 7th level, follow the drow or tiefling guideline for magic and give them the Shocking Grasp cantrip, then Disguise Self @ 3rd, and Invisibility @ 5th (1/day) and be done with it. Is there a reason they require Alter Self (a 2nd level spell) instead of Disguise Self (a 1st level spell)?

I don't think a little overlap is bad. The same, no. Then you're steppign on toes. But multiple races having mostly similar or specialized types of stealth, or things like fae-based races have Fae Ancestry or naturey guys getting nature/woodland based stuff, etc...

So, I don't think some overlap is a problem...without necessarily doing some other race's "thang."

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The My World was in reference to what it says in the DMG. I was suggesting how they should be balanced vs PHB.

I dont actually run a homebrew.

It could easily be disguise self but I didn't see that spell when I wrote this. AD&D 1e Kenku were much different in the fiend folio then 3e kenku.

I think I originally had invisibility at 5th but thought it might be too powerful.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I don't think it's too powerful. I expect we'll see a lot of magical races with invisibility at 5th. Spellcasting PCs have been gettin' un-visible for a couple of levels at that point. Duergar and Svirfs, the least. Several fae types, I'd wager. Makes sense for kenku I think.

I'll be honest...I never really paid kenku much attention so not really sure on what would be considered "typical/necessary" traits for them or what's "too much." [and not feeling like checkin' the ole FF right now. :) ] Some people love 'em. Obviously in asian analogue settings, I expect, they're very big. I don't think I've ever used one in a game.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Satyr: PC race in Orea

Here's one that I intended to put up before the thread got thrown to circling the rim of the forum's abyss. :p

Satyrs are a default/core PC race in my homebrew world of Orea.

Satyr Traits
Your satyr character uses charm and daring in a carefree, sometimes seeming nearly thoughtless, manner to face the challenges of adventuring and, in all things, enjoy themselves.
Abilities: +2 to Cha. +1 to Dex.
Age: Saytrs grow slightly faster through childhood than humans [so their "childhood/adolescence" can extend well into their "adulthood"]. They are considered adults at 15 [whether they are ever "mature" at any age is up for debate throughout the ages]. At adulthood, their aging slows to a roughly "half-human" rate until old age, around 150 years. The satyr life cycle rarely exceed 210 years.
Alignment: Satyrs, as individuals and a society, nearly always chaotic in nature. They value, highly, freedom of one to make their own choices, freedom of expression (speech, artistic and otherwise), frivolity and indulgence in pleasures of all sorts. That is not to say they can not be organized or formidable opponents when the need arises. Satyrs can be well-trained in a variety of pursuits from hunting, tracking and thievery to seeming natural bards, druids and other practitioners of enchantment or nature-based magic. Generally speaking, among adventurer satyrs, pursuits that make use of their wits, wiles and natural agility, far exceed any interest in classes reliant on brute physical strength. As a society, Satyr communities lean on their ideals of personal freedoms and not infringing on the rights, freedoms or goodly enjoyment of others. They are automatic allies to elves, centaurs [often viewed as their "spiritual brothers/cousins"], fae and other woodland folk [though their assistance may not always be desired for the distractions and indulgences they often bring with them]. Satyr communities are firmly in the Chaotic Good camp.
Size: Medium. You range from 4.5-5.5 feet, with a possible addition of 4 or 5" to 1.5 feet of horns, depending on the style/growth. Both males and females sport horns, though males generally grow nearly twice as large/long as females. Male horns are acknowledged (by all of satyr society) as signs of virility and great sources of pride and, thus, may effect a male satyr's ego/self-image (for good or ill).
Speed: walking speed 30'.
Darkvision: 60'.
Fae Ancestry: as the high elf, you have advantage on all enchantment effects and magic can not put you to sleep.
Caprine Anatomy: A Satyr's goat-like [caprine] haunches and legs give them advantage on all rolls [Dex] involving balance, climbing natural stone surfaces, and adds 5' to all standing high and long jumps. The jump bonus [high or long] increases to 10' with a running start.
As a bonus action, the satyr can make an unarmed strike with either their goat horns [headbutt] or a sharp-hoofed kick. A successful hit deals d4 HP and Medium or smaller creatures are forced to make a Str. check to avoid being pushed back 10'.
Satyr Constitution: You have advantage on all save and ability checks that involve the ingesting, breathing or otherwise "taking" of alcohol, poison, mind-altering substances and drugs of all types, and any detrimental effects thereof. While you can (and will) certainly "get drunk", you suffer no detrimental effects to your physical [Str., Con. or Dex. dependent] abilities from normal alcoholic beverages.
Land's Stride: The Satyr's special anatomy and instincts grant them normal movement through naturally difficult terrain. You pass through natural plants: thorns, brambles, spines, etc..., without taking damage and have advantage on all saves against plants, magical or mundane, that impede movement, such as attacks by stranglevine or the entangle spell.

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Grippli

Grippli Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2 and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Size. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 30 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Nimble Leaper. You use Dexterity for jumping instead of Strength. You can make a running long jump or high jump without moving, rather than 10 feet.
Natural Climbers.
Due to your sticky finger and toe pads, climbing costs you no additional movement.
Grippli Weapon Training. You have proficiency with the blowgun, the net, and the poison kit.
Blending Camouflage. Your coloring allows you to attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage and natural terrain.
Surprise Attacker. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature you have surprised.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Grippli. You can speak, read, and write Common or Elven.

=========================================
Notes:

• I love grippli. In 2E my GMing brother was generous to let me play a psionic one in his campaign. I don't recall much about him except once he used a power that let him grow a scorpion tail.
  • I considered giving them some sort of bonus to the distance jumped because the old AD&D 2E gripplis could leap faster than elves could walk. But giving a bonus of five extra feet (or whatever) seemed too fiddly.
  • I don't think darkvision is necessary to capture the feel of grippli but they had it in 2E, so I included it. I included it out to only 30 feet because that's what they had in 2E but it might be better at 60 feet for ease of consistency with the other PHB races.
  • Surprise Attacker might push them over the edge of too many abilities but I thought it would happen infrequently, so it was okay to include.
  • In 2E the grippli tribe mother could emit a musk cloud that mimicked the stinking cloud spell. That sounded awesome to me but also too powerful and way, way too likely to continually derail the session with "I fart in your general direction!" jokes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases