Lord of the Monsters: New Warlock patron (based on new Ranger playtest)

gweinel

Explorer
EDIT: Here is the latest version (0.3) of the Warlock subclass and patron "Lord of the Monsters"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFUyeewEQu6TEFuSm1vdTMzcm8/view

It needs more work and still have balancing issues but I feel i have make some progress.

I had posted this thread few days before the loss of the data. Here i give it once again for you to judge it. I would love to hear your opinion and most important which part do you think is unbalanced and what do you think is over/underpower.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Intriguing, especially in the twist where the PC doesn't gain the Otherworldly Patron Features after the Expanded Spell Lists and the Pact Boon beastie itself.

I think you may be onto something here.

gweinel

Explorer
Thank you.
I think this could get interesting.

The modularity that 5e offers make feasible to design such things without to much trouble.
Unearthed Arcana's Beastmaster can make a very good example in the implementing of extra critters to the parties which sometimes it very useful (2-3 pc party).
Of course it is very cool to ride your personal Manticore :p

Anyway i would be grateful to hear your thoughts and especially the things you see as unbalanced or poorly implemented.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Sorry that it has taken so long to get back to this thread; well, y'know, life.

I've only found one thing that I feel hits the "over-powered" trigger, in the Companion's Bond feature: Becoming proficient with all saving throws. At 3rd level, it is way too unfair to other creatures of comparable level, imo. If it is kept, maybe it should be delayed until 14th level, comparable to the Monk gains the Diamond Soul feature.

I had to search out this thread due to the EN World not accepting my clicking on the web link, and I see that this reconstructed version is missing the individual Abilities - Senses entries that you had in an earlier version. Just in case you might want to include those, I've listed them below:

Basilick: Darkvision 60', Natural Armor (which may no longer immediately apply in your revision)

Chimera: Darkvision 60', Natural Armor (which may no longer immediately apply in your revision)

Griffon: Darkvision 60', Keen Sight

Displacer Beast: Darkvision 60'

Manticore: Darkvision 60', Tail Spike Regrowth

Owlbear: Darkvision 60', Keen Sight and Smell

Umber Hulk: Darkvision 120', Tremorsense

Wyvern: Darkvision 60'

I like the standardized starting stats you've got for the monsters at 3rd level; that works for me.

One last, larger consideration: I haven't really done a comparison/contrast with the Ranger Beastmaster, and how it's animal companion gains in power with level. This build for the Warlock may outdo that, so I do have more thinking (ouch!) ahead of me.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Thanks again for a wonderful idea.

gweinel

Explorer
Sorry that it has taken so long to get back to this thread; well, y'know, life.

I've only found one thing that I feel hits the "over-powered" trigger, in the Companion's Bond feature: Becoming proficient with all saving throws. At 3rd level, it is way too unfair to other creatures of comparable level, imo. If it is kept, maybe it should be delayed until 14th level, comparable to the Monk gains the Diamond Soul feature.

One last, larger consideration: I haven't really done a comparison/contrast with the Ranger Beastmaster, and how it's animal companion gains in power with level. This build for the Warlock may outdo that, so I do have more thinking (ouch!) ahead of me.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Thanks again for a wonderful idea.

[MENTION=6778305]Redthistle[/MENTION], thank you for your input. I have make some progress in the subclass (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFUyeewEQu6TEFuSm1vdTMzcm8/view) as you can see.
It still needs more work. Probably I will remove the Wyvern because it is too powerful at low levels (fly ability at 3rd lvl is too much). Maybe it could be an option for a high level warlock. Also, I replaced Eldritch Blast with a custom spell, because at higher levels Eldritch + all the monster attacks make the warlock OP. It is far from perfect, but i am working it.

Your comment regarding "companion bond" feature is actually copy-paste from UA alt ranger.

I hope you enjoy the newest version and if you have any comment please share it. :)

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Thank you for the clarification on the source for Monstrous Companion - it makes sense now.

I like the Monstrous Rage cantrip, and appreciate your reasoning for it. The cantrip looks to be based on the Druid's Shillelagh cantrip, and fits this concept very well.

Regarding your concern about the wyvern ability to fly at low levels, I think you should keep it in. It lacks ranged attacks of its own, but it's certainly at risk from them, and I think that balances out.

Looking forward to the Traits and Flaws you're still working on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases