D&D 5E End-game gimmicks: the problem with 5e meta-plots

S

Sunseeker

This is a pretty common theme in the literature as much as it is in the game. If we appropriately statted "Demon Princes" they'd be way beyond 20th-level characters. Sure they've got stats so yes fundamentally you could fight it and defeat it, but it's like a squadron of X-Wings going against the Death Star, unless you take advantage of the McGuffin, you're boned.

To continue the comparison, even in ROTJ Luke was only just able to defeat Vader by giving into the dark side (a McGuffin) but he was still no match for the Emperor. And Vader killed him not via combat, but by flushing him down a giant toilet. Or was that Kil'Jaeden?

Very few "bosses" would, IMO, be bosses if they could be defeated in a straight-up fight by ~5 20th level heroes. Beyond that, in some of these cases you run into the "I killed a god!" problem. The McGuffin avoids that, you didn't kill Tiamat, you just flushed her down a toilet to her sewer dimension where she will plot her return.

Corpsetaker

First Post
On a related note, I don't like the warp speed with which characters level in 5e. I'm nostalgic for the days when a level 8 character represented a year of effort, and each level felt exponentially harder. I felt invested in my character. Now they feel disposable.

That's so you can hurry up, finish the current adventure and move on to the next.

BMaC

Adventurer
The rate of advancement is, I suspect, a result of two factors:
1. Understandably, the player base is diverse now. Due to work/family commitments not everyone plays frequently (there's a poll somewhere); that makes no-leveling sessions unrealistic.
2. Regrettably, the MMORPGization of D&D requires rapid leveling.

CapnZapp

Legend
This is a pretty common theme in the literature as much as it is in the game. If we appropriately statted "Demon Princes" they'd be way beyond 20th-level characters. Sure they've got stats so yes fundamentally you could fight it and defeat it, but it's like a squadron of X-Wings going against the Death Star, unless you take advantage of the McGuffin, you're boned.

To continue the comparison, even in ROTJ Luke was only just able to defeat Vader by giving into the dark side (a McGuffin) but he was still no match for the Emperor. And Vader killed him not via combat, but by flushing him down a giant toilet. Or was that Kil'Jaeden?

Very few "bosses" would, IMO, be bosses if they could be defeated in a straight-up fight by ~5 20th level heroes. Beyond that, in some of these cases you run into the "I killed a god!" problem. The McGuffin avoids that, you didn't kill Tiamat, you just flushed her down a toilet to her sewer dimension where she will plot her return.
Not sure what you're talking about.

The whole point of D&D is to take down Princes and Bosses through combat.

At every level.

Fighting and winning over gods is exactly what high-level D&D is about.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
On a related note, I don't like the warp speed with which characters level in 5e. I'm nostalgic for the days when a level 8 character represented a year of effort, and each level felt exponentially harder. I felt invested in my character. Now they feel disposable.

That's so you can hurry up, finish the current adventure and move on to the next.
Then advance slower.

Problem solved.

CapnZapp

Legend
2. Regrettably, the MMORPGization of D&D requires rapid leveling.
Nothing, I repeat absolutely nothing, in D&D requires or depends upon rapid levelling.

Or slow levelling.

Individual adventures, however, can offer much, or little, content per level.

But the speed of levelling is inherently and fundamentally separate from the rest of the game.

You can stay 4th level (or 14th) for an entire campaign and hundreds of play nights, and nothing breaks.

Hmmm., I wonder how many posters here would scream bloody murder, and try to kill me; if during Season 8 just as the pcs encounter the big bad in the final chapter, the big players of the realms show up. Wax the big bad. And just give lollypops to the pcs.
And the big players leave the pcs holding the bar tab!

SPOILERS!!!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The fight is supposed to leave the remaining demon lord weakened, thus the PCs fight a weakend demon lord. I can't remember the specific details though.

Yeah, apparently they figured he would be too tough at full power for a 15th level party. Though I just ran him at full power and max HP against 6 10-11th level PC and they waxed him quick. Honestly he was a joke, I think if you applied the rules to the fiction the Abyss would be a happy place after a few bands of high level Paladins wiped out the demons and made it into a vacation spot.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, apparently they figured he would be too tough at full power for a 15th level party. Though I just ran him at full power and max HP against 6 10-11th level PC and they waxed him quick. Honestly he was a joke, I think if you applied the rules to the fiction the Abyss would be a happy place after a few bands of high level Paladins wiped out the demons and made it into a vacation spot.

That is what is so difficult about D&D. He TPK'd the group of 15th level PCs we ran him against (just to see if my group could take him). My group is not into any kind of optimization or tactics though. Personally I think he is weak, that is why I made a CR 35 epic version.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
That is what is so difficult about D&D. He TPK'd the group of 15th level PCs we ran him against (just to see if my group could take him). My group is not into any kind of optimization or tactics though. Personally I think he is weak, that is why I made a CR 35 epic version.

The big "problem" is adding in more PC just blows the balance up. One more set of attacks changes everything so if they assumed 4 PC in the group bumping it up to 6, even 4-5 levels below where they expected you to be in that encounter makes a huge difference.

Remove ads