D&D 5E So Shadar-Kai are now a subrace of elves: Huh?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Forum posts are not necessarily representative of the overall feedback that they got.

That’s why I prefaced my post with “if the posts here are any indication” and said “they got a lot of feedback saying” rather than “most of the feedback probably said.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That’s why I prefaced my post with “if the posts here are any indication” and said “they got a lot of feedback saying” rather than “most of the feedback probably said.”
Fair enough; can't say I saw much of a negative reaction beyond a handful of posts.

dave2008

Legend
My problem is now that Forgotten Realms is their flagship, and default, setting then they are going to try and incorporate that into the setting where it won't make a lot of sense given all the previous we have doesn't indicate the Shadar-kai were in any way associated with elves.

Did you miss the response that explained that they were originally Fey? That makes them closer to elves than humans IMO.

Charlaquin

Fair enough; can't say I saw much of a negative reaction beyond a handful of posts.
No, I think the reaction was generally pretty positive. But it looked to me like a lot of folks were confused about them being Elves.

Did you miss the response that explained that they were originally Fey? That makes them closer to elves than humans IMO.
In their original presentation, but their lore has evolved a lot since then.

gyor

Legend
No, I think the reaction was generally pretty positive. But it looked to me like a lot of folks were confused about them being Elves.

In their original presentation, but their lore has evolved a lot since then.

True, they only became a major race in 4e, where they became highly linked to both the Nentir Vale Setting and the Forgotten Realms.

Charlaquin

What ha evolved before, can evolve again.

As well it should, if that evolution is good for the game. If the UA version was popular, I’m sure they will become an elf subrace. Heck, it’s a pretty minor change to the fluff anyway. I prefer them as a unique race that shot off from humans but at this point is distinct enough to no longer be recognized as a human subrace. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up changing for 5e, particularly with the new direction they’re clearly trying to take the Raven Queen, which I also don’t care for. But I’m gonna fluff my games the way I’m gonna fluff my games, if more people enjoy the new direction than the old, I won’t fault WotC for the change in official material. Though, I have a feeling that downgrading the Raven Queen from God of Death to the shadowfell equivalent of an extremely powerful Archfey would take away a lot of what made her popular in the first place. Sidegrading the Shadar-Kai from former humans to former elves, I don’t expect will make much difference.

Last edited:

QuietBrowser

First Post
True, they only became a major race in 4e, where they became highly linked to both the Nentir Vale Setting and the Forgotten Realms.

Which is actually another reason why the "Shadar-kai are elves now" decision bugs people; in the 4e Forgotten Realms, shadar-kai evolved from the denizens of Netheril, the remnants of an ancient human empire that escaped an apocalypse by fleeing to the shadow-world and returned relatively recently to try and rebuild what they lost.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which is actually another reason why the "Shadar-kai are elves now" decision bugs people; in the 4e Forgotten Realms, shadar-kai evolved from the denizens of Netheril, the remnants of an ancient human empire that escaped an apocalypse by fleeing to the shadow-world and returned relatively recently to try and rebuild what they lost.
That's the Shades, isn't it? Different thing entirely, as I recall.

Remathilis

Legend
Do we have any indication that the feedback is broadly negative? The forum "consensus" and the actual UA survey results do not seem to match much of the time.

highly anecdotal, but following the UA release, Twitter, Reddit, and /tg/ all seemed to react negatively to it; generally either people were confused as they were only familiar with the 4e version and didn't understand why they were now elves, or they dismissed it because "lol elvz". I mean, the feedback from the survey will say more than a handful of loudmouths on social media, but I found the chatter of + to - tilted heavily towards the latter.

Remove ads