Mechanics of Revived Settings; your thoughts?

I disagree. People enjoy different campaign settings not for their ability to use the bog-standard PHB options, but for the differences. At least IMO.
I'm not sure about that. Dark Sun is about the only setting that some races, and perhaps a few classes would have trouble fitting that I can think of. Even so, those restrictions aren't an actual selling point (unless the customer is you) rather than simply a facet of the setting. Not even a particularly major facet either: If I had to describe the iconic parts of Dark Sun, "restrictive character creation options" wouldn't even be in the top three points.
Even if I was trying to encourage you to buy it, "Paladins are very rare" would probably come 4th after "Postapocalyptic desert wasteland", "Gnomes are very rare" and "Rapiers are very rare".

But, hey, we will see. I know that if they ever release a campaign setting that is just PHB + some cool names and countries for the other settings, that's something I won't purchase.
Is anyone suggestion that this is likely?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if we saw an official 5e Gamma World at some point. There are already some great fan conversions.

As far some of the older IP, such as Star Frontiers ... I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with the lack of developers and giant backlog of products to do.

Gamma World is older than Star Frontiers.

Paladins aren't really a problem for Dark Sun - now they are not required to be lawful good and wear full plate. They can just be refluffed to Templars. You could do all the PHB classes simply by replacing subclasses.

It's the races that need to be different to make a setting feel different.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Well, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if we saw an official 5e Gamma World at some point. There are already some great fan conversions.

Hey, look! You found the hill I'm willing to die on! Have at thee!

Official Eighth Edition Gamma World. Fifth Edition was an Alternity setting, and Fourth Edition was halfway between AD&D and d20.

I have no objection to another version of Gamma World that's based on the 5e rules, as long as it's not a joyless hackjob like the d20 Modern version. (Is criticizing it still a bannable offense?) I thought the Seventh Edition, based on D&D4, was too random and gimmicky... but had some ideas worth incorporating into a more grounded (hee!) Gamma World.

As far some of the older IP, such as Star Frontiers ... I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with the lack of developers and giant backlog of products to do.

I would sell my least-favorite grandmother for Star Frontiers.

Hell. I would sell my favorite grandmother if WotC would just license Star*Drive and Dark*Matter and maybe even Gamma World and Star Frontiers to Sasquatch.

Well, you won't have to sell your least favorite grandmother!

www.starfrontiers.com

Since it will never get an update, might as well use the old rules.

The 5e rules are so much better though.

Anyway, If they don't get a new 5e campaign setting in the pipeline before my current campaign is completed (which will probably be around the end of this year) I will just have to bite the bullet and get Starfinder. I love D&D but I can't bare GenericFantasyLand(TM) much longer!

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Well, you won't have to sell your least favorite grandmother!

But... please?

Was already familiar with it, but there's a huge difference between something available "from our back catalog" and something enjoying the barest level of official support.

And I will say that... aside from D&D Spelljammer, nothing in WotC's back catalog gets my motor running better than Star*Drive, which is one half of one of my White Whales that I've almost given up all hope of ever executing successfully.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases