Core+1

Satyrn

First Post
I am starting to think that some people, [MENTION=58172]Yaarel[/MENTION] included, do not know what the definition of monotheism is.
While I don't think there's any chance of FR getting a monotheistic religion, and thus no chance of AL getting one, I'm sure Yaarel knows what it means, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a vision for how one could fit in FR in a decent way.

I'm curious about something. D&D's rules don't actually require a player to select a god/philosophy/whatever even when playing a cleric. The DMG explicitly says that the rule is a cleric picks a domain.

Does AL require a cleric to select a deity from a set list? Are you not permitted to just pick a domain and make up something?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Oh cool. I've never used the campaign tools, just the character builder. That's good to know though.

It does. It's not in the character builder part, but in your campaign section. You turn off the content you don't want for your access to the campaign prior to using the character generator.

Oh cool. I've never used the campaign tools, just the character builder. That's good to know though.

Actually, I don't believe Mistwell is correct. I just double checked my own campaign on DDB, and I find no way to limit what is available to my players. There are plans for this to be added to DDB, but it has not been added yet.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The fact that a powerful being shows up and does things beyond comprehension does not mean they're a god, it just means they're incredibly powerful.
The last 15 minutes or so of Star Trek 5: The Mangled Philosophy Session comes to mind.
"Why does God need a starship?"

jasper

Rotten DM
Excuse my ignorance as I've not played in AL, but assuming Bob's original character is now level 3 after 2 sessions, couldn't Bob then create a new, nearly exact character except utilizing the content of Elminster's Manual of the Plannes instead of Xanathar's? Or does one have to start their PC at level 1 in AL?
Bob's "character Jasper the Nice" can be rebuilt until the pc hits 5th level. DM's Dave character "Jasper the Stupid" who is fifth level is just out of luck.

jasper

Rotten DM
I love as an Adventure League DM the PHB +1 rule. The Core +1 the original poster mention violates this aka I saw what you did there. I only have to check two books if I think Captain Zapp Blade singer from the desert nuclear waste land of Chult is iffy. So Zappy no you cannot have your musket mounted on your Vorpal halberd of mount doom.
Does it limit concepts? No. In my experience a player wanting to use multiple D&D books is trying to pull a fast one. AKA What do mean your first level paladin gets a free holy avenger etc? Or then again I may be a cheesy player magnet.
Reprinting some spells, and classes does help the PHB +1. And yes it also a money grab.
Poor Bob says boo hoo I created my character using PHB +1 using hex blade. Jimmy is using Eliminister’s as his plus one. WAAAA! Um Poor Bob, your character is only third level rebuilt him. Jimmy let Bob look at your book. But but Jgsugden pipes in my 8th level hexblade does not get a free rebuild with Eliminister’s. Um your 8th level PC can’t but since this is tier 1 just bring a 1st level pc. (or more likely jgsugen just rebuilds his pc using Eliminster’s and hopes evil Jasper does not notice or care). Thanks jgsughen for mentioning Bob.

#eltab never heard of the One rebuild rule. But I have missed other AL rules before.
As I told one of my gamers who started griping about the PBH +1 Rule. “THEN DON’T PLAY ADVENTURE LEAGUE!” All have my permission and the WOTC permission go forth old farts and dm homebrew. Talk with your cons to reserve a table to homebrew. The future of homebrew is you!

Thread drift
I have walked away from some games I seen people playing at game shops. Gee x game looks interesting, how do you play? And how much does it cost? Players show books, and books, and books. I count and they about 1/3 the number of books my parents 1963 encyclopedias.
I have gotten disgusted with some of Steve Jackson demo people. Hey you added 3 of the expansion sets, can we just play with the buy in set to get to know the freaky game.

devincutler

Explorer
No more questions. That's the only interesting part of PHB+1 that merits discussion.

Why? Since otherwise it's simple.

Either you want to play in the AL, in which you need to abide by its rules.

Or you're not playing in the AL, and you're not affected by any of its restrictions.

Except the suspicion WotC uses it to not test content from supplement A together with supplement B; which is reprehensible.

Not sure why that would exempt them from testing content interaction between non PHB books. If spell + feat combo is unbalanced, then unless the spell and the feat are both limited to "self", then you still get the interaction of the two of them within a party.

Hence, the need to test.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases