For those who know, are Ravnica vampires like Zendikar vampires or Innistrad vampires?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Except what Magic calls Vampires are a variety of very different creatures.

OK, then it's a naming issue. Because when players hear vampire it comes with a very specific set of aspects. I don't want to get into definition battles with players about what vampires can do in this plane or that :)

Vampires belong only in Innistrad, end of story, in my book! :)

Edit: Oh and apologies to [MENTION=82132]Cyber-Dave[/MENTION] for hijacking their thread. I'll drop out now as I have nothing constructive to add. :)

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
@robus

Outside of D&D, vampires do not come with a "very specific set of aspects." They are, in fact, a relatively recent mythological development. Right now, the term "vampire" coheres with exactly two core qualities that are common to every instance of the creature in fiction: it thirsts for something related to one's life energy; it comes correlated to the promise of longevity.

D&D vampires are more specific than that. D&D vampires generally look like a conflation of the vampires from Bram Stoker's Dracula and the film Nosferatu. The vampires of Innistrad are the same. That isn't true of Magic the Gathering. The vampire's from its different planes retain the core aspects that have defined vampires across all their variations, but each plane presents a different variation of the creature. In some planes, they are living creatures infected with a disease a la I Am Legend. In others (like Innistrad), they are creatures out of a gothic horror story.

Arguing that vampires belong only in one plane, because that plane presents the variant of the creature you like best, misses the point of what Magic has done with their presentation of the creature.

In any case, no need to apologize! You did add something constructive. There is nothing wrong with discussion in a forum. Hell, it is kind of the point!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases