Waterdeep: Dragon Heist First Impressions

I love heist/caper stories and urban fantasy adventures so the minute the D&D team announced Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now that I've got it? I'm still excited.

I love heist/caper stories and urban fantasy adventures so the minute the D&D team announced Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now that I've got it? I'm still excited.

My full review will follow after I finish reading the book but a few quick impressions.

1. The choice of four villains to choose from is a nice touch for replay-ability. Each villain is tied to a season. The full reading will reveal why.
  2. I like the adventure flowchart and encounter chains.
  3. It has a pronunciation guide! That makes a DM's life much easier.
  4. Players have three additional factions they can play, one of which is Force Grey. Critical Role fans will love that.
  5. Lots of cool NPCs are in the adventure, including well-known ones like Laeral Silverhand, though she may not be the same as the last time you saw her in an official Waterdeep adventure.
  6. The building maps are nice and could be reused in other adventures.
  7. For background material, it includes a section labeled “Volo's Waterdeep Enchiridion” that should get DMs new to Waterdeep up to speed.
After the freeform aspects of Tomb of Annihilation, the fact that Waterdeep: Dragon Heist has a bit more structure while still a sandbox is a smart choice. Being set in Faerun's most famous city also presents some nice dilemmas for players. Murder hobo tactics are likely to get them killed or imprisoned, so players should have to be more strategic – of course, that's never guaranteed.

While these are just quick takes based on a flip through of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, they definitely whet my appetite for more. City-based adventures aren't explored enough in D&D, in my opinion, Waterdeep is a rich enough setting to allow for as much variety as any wilderness or dungeon setting.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Reynard

Legend
Having said that, the story is also simpler than any of them except Lost Mines of Phandelver.

That's a bit surprising. I thought it was supposed to be big complex heist story involving lots of competing factions, with double crosses and plot twists galore.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
That's a bit surprising. I thought it was supposed to be big complex heist story involving lots of competing factions, with double crosses and plot twists galore.

I haven't read the whole thing, but I'd say double crosses and plot twists yes, galore no.

The simplicity has to do with the relatively limited scope due to the level range 1-5. The actual adventure is really not as much of a sandbox as the previous publications, though you're certainly given enough setting info to base your own stuff in Waterdeep.

In something like CoS or OotA, the chapters described locations that could more or less be visited in any order. In this book, chapters 1-4 are not locations. They are a series of events that happen chronologically. The stuff in chapter 1 is followed by the stuff in chapter 2, then 3, etc. What exactly happens in Chapter 4 will vary quite a bit based on which villain you've chosen, but regardless it's the last chapter of the adventure.

Chapters 5-8 are each dedicated to one of the four possible main villains and their lairs. These chapters are entirely optional and it's quite likely the players would never visit any of the lairs during this adventure - and they're even less likely to visit more than one. I do suspect that some of all of the lairs WILL be more relevant for the Mad Mage adventure.

Chapter 9 is Volo's player-facing gazeteer, a cute in-universe thing that the vast majority of my players would NEVER bother to read.

I think one of the main complaints is going to be the maps. They are...utilitarian and basic. I'm actually okay with them. But players and DMs used to the detailed, colorful Schley maps in recent books I think may feel these seem cheap in comparison.

epithet

Explorer
Is there any included guidance on running the Heist in the Free City of Greyhawk, or is the DM completely on his own in that department?

pukunui

Legend
It has a pronunciation guide! That makes a DM's life much easier.
Tomb of Annihilation has a pronunciation guide as well. I'm glad to see it wasn't just a one-off.

Lots of cool NPCs are in the adventure, including well-known ones like Laeral Silverhand, though she may not be the same as the last time you saw her in an official Waterdeep adventure.
Could you please elaborate on this? Are you referring to an adventure from a previous edition? I ask because she is in The Rise of Tiamat as part of the Council of Waterdeep (albeit without stats).

Looks like Matt Mercer by #85 :)
And Pikel and Ivan Bouldershoulder just above them, and i guess it could be Cadderly next to them.
Guys, there's a whole other thread for this: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...s-from-Waterdeep-Dragonheist-can-you-identify

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I haven't read the whole thing, but I'd say double crosses and plot twists yes, galore no.

The simplicity has to do with the relatively limited scope due to the level range 1-5. The actual adventure is really not as much of a sandbox as the previous publications, though you're certainly given enough setting info to base your own stuff in Waterdeep.

In something like CoS or OotA, the chapters described locations that could more or less be visited in any order. In this book, chapters 1-4 are not locations. They are a series of events that happen chronologically. The stuff in chapter 1 is followed by the stuff in chapter 2, then 3, etc. What exactly happens in Chapter 4 will vary quite a bit based on which villain you've chosen, but regardless it's the last chapter of the adventure.

Chapters 5-8 are each dedicated to one of the four possible main villains and their lairs. These chapters are entirely optional and it's quite likely the players would never visit any of the lairs during this adventure - and they're even less likely to visit more than one. I do suspect that some of all of the lairs WILL be more relevant for the Mad Mage adventure.

Chapter 9 is Volo's player-facing gazeteer, a cute in-universe thing that the vast majority of my players would NEVER bother to read.

I think one of the main complaints is going to be the maps. They are...utilitarian and basic. I'm actually okay with them. But players and DMs used to the detailed, colorful Schley maps in recent books I think may feel these seem cheap in comparison.

Damn dude, you had me at “not as much of a sandbox as previous publications!”

Plot flowcharts? Events organized chronologically? Utilitarian maps? Enough setting material to run your own stuff in Waterdeep?This sounds like the best WotC-published adventure since Phandelver. Maybe even since Murder in Baldur’s Gate!

gyor

Legend
Damn dude, you had me at “not as much of a sandbox as previous publications!”

Plot flowcharts? Events organized chronologically? Utilitarian maps? Enough setting material to run your own stuff in Waterdeep?This sounds like the best WotC-published adventure since Phandelver. Maybe even since Murder in Baldur’s Gate!

You can mix it with stuff from the second Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage as well, so Waterdeep is going to be the most fleshed out city/dungeon in 5e.

Remove ads

Remove ads