Maybe my expectation was off - Dungeon of the mad mage doesnt use the full maps for undermountain....

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In principle, I love Undermountain, and want to introduce my groups to it in the future.

In practice, I have concerns that mega-dungeons currently will get very tiring quickly, and my groups won't have patience for them. I think this one solves the problem by having different environments via gates and teleports to other areas.

That's an old solution. I am guessing for this one the PCs can't go to Mars, or King Kong's Island, or down the Rabbit Hole.

As others have said, it's what I expected and what was hinted at prior to release. But, as others also said, you had to have paid careful attention.

Remember, most D&Ders have never seen the old maps, and even fewer are aware of the numerous different iterations from the various boxed sets and different editions that show different versions of the dungeon.

But, the desire to have the "whole thing" as those who are familiar with the poster maps is why I started the Ultimate Undermountain project. See www.facebook.com/UltimateUndermountain to check out how the UM might just be done.

ccs

41st lv DM
It looks like it's as about as underwhelming as I was expecting.
I had the original UM stuff back in 2e & wasn't impressed. When they announced this book I knew it'd be even less complete than the original. So.

CapnZapp

Legend
In practice, I have concerns that mega-dungeons currently will get very tiring quickly, and my groups won't have patience for them.
Exactly my sentiment.

I can't imagine using this book in any other way than having a completely different campaign (city-based or not) that occasionally offers quests that sends the heroes down on specific quests, where you experience a limited slice of the dungeon and then get out again.

Semi-random dungeon bashing for twenty levels straight sounds like it would bore my players to tears, not to mention myself...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Exactly my sentiment.

I can't imagine using this book in any other way than having a completely different campaign (city-based or not) that occasionally offers quests that sends the heroes down on specific quests, where you experience a limited slice of the dungeon and then get out again.

Semi-random dungeon bashing for twenty levels straight sounds like it would bore my players to tears, not to mention myself...

Yeah, 21-year-old me and his friends would have done that with glee (and possibly beer), but forty-something me and his friends now have less table-time, weaker CON scores, and a need for a little more plot and RP than what the mega-dungeons of old had. I may still pick this up, if nothing else for completeness, in case we get nostalgia, or if I’m wrong and they do want something like this.

Remove ads