How would you design one page adventures?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=80342]morris[/MENTION], yeah that why I suggested adding them as a single letter in the title, for example:

The Oasis [M]

or

1 territorial ankheg [E]

Wouldn’t that be cleaner?

I'll try it and see how it looks!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I like 5 Room Dungeons and the ability to move encounters to different spots as required

1 Introduction/Overview
Give a quick adventure synopsis (paragraph), a list of Rumours/Hooks and a list of resident monsters, minions and NPCs

2 The ENCOUNTERS
Encounter 1 Entrance
Set the scene and give a bit of atmosphere and expectations, add a guardian, puzzles or hidden key

Encounter 2 Roleplaying/Skill Challenge
A Minion or Puzzle/Trap must be got past without combat

Encounters 3 Diversion/Trap/Red Herring
Another encounter that uses Player resources and either leads them astray or requires some choice.

If PCs go off track this can occur more than once

Encounter 4 Climax
where you meet the main BBEG and save the world

Encounter 5 Revelation/Reward
Get the reward/save the princess/discover the truth

Map (Optional)

Quickleaf

Legend
This is kinda how it looks with little coloured icons showing the challenge level of each encounter, but I feel it now starts to look quite messy.

View attachment 103400

For me personally, it feels busy, angled text is harder to read, and would murder printer ink, echoing what [MENTION=12377]77IM[/MENTION] was saying. It could be the low-res, but the bolded text could be even bolder to differentiate it; it feels like a semi-bold, and I'm having to look carefully/squint to recognize it as different...actually I think the color backgrounds are contributing to making that differentiation harder.

I think the skeleton of something workable is there, however.

It also reads like an site-in-which-adventure-could-happen rather than an adventure, in that there's no hook for the players. I get the aesthetic "let the DM fill in the blanks", but having a starting point, having a clearly framed start scene, saves the DM a lot of work.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Man, tough crowd!

Hah! Indeed. I think the desert scenes part of that "Croaking Sirroco" mockup were well put together. I like how there's a sense of flow, narrative progression, and unveiling secrets there. That part works well.

I do feel conflicted about listing ability/skill checks and DCs and damage amounts when your space is so limited, however. If it's meant to be adaptable for a wider level range, that seems like something you can trust the DM to handle. Might free up a little space for you to work with.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This one was incredibly challenging. Lots of detail to cram into very short sentences. The DM needs to instill a sense of wacky chaos.

presents.jpg

Hussar

Legend
That looks like great fun [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]. Cool beans.

Just as a thought though, would it not be easier to make the map mostly the full size of the page and then include the text of the encounters right in the rooms? Would seem like a more efficient use of space.

And, just a nitpick, you forgot to label area 1 - the Entrance.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That looks like great fun [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]. Cool beans.

Just as a thought though, would it not be easier to make the map mostly the full size of the page and then include the text of the encounters right in the rooms? Would seem like a more efficient use of space.

And, just a nitpick, you forgot to label area 1 - the Entrance.

I didn’t draw the map. These are converted from existing adventures I commissioned for EN5ider.

Remove ads