Arcana of The Ancients: 5E Sci-Fantasy From Monte Cook Games Launches On KS

Monte Cook Games' 5E "Science Fantasy Sourcebook", Arcana of the Ancients, has launched on Kickstarter.

Monte Cook Games' 5E "Science Fantasy Sourcebook", Arcana of the Ancients, has launched on Kickstarter.

a85679dec8265e58ed2e2efe15e18765_original.jpg

"Arcana of the Ancients is a sourcebook for 5th edition players and GMs to bring the wonders of mysterious technology and weird science-fantasy elements to their traditional fantasy campaigns. Designed by Monte Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, and Sean K. Reynolds, all of whom have years of professional design experience working on the world's most popular roleplaying game, this gorgeously illustrated hardcover sourcebook gives you everything you need to add a whole new element to your 5E game."

It's $50 for the hardcover, or $20 for the PDF. If you want to play Numenera with the 5E rules, this looks like the way you'd do that.

theworstdm

Explorer
As I understand it, the stretch goal thing is pretty standard for MCG Kickstarters.

Anyone who backed, say, the Numenera at "all in" level before knowing what the stretch goals would be: in the end was it worth it? Thanks!

(I am definitely backing this, but I am debating on how deep to go.)

I've backed a bunch of their Kickstarters at the "all in" level, and it's always been worth it. It ends up being a lot of great products.

theworstdm

Explorer
You can usually change your pledge level right up until the Kickstarter ends. Most Kickstarters also let you add things on when you complete the survey for your rewards.

Von Ether

Legend
First Stretch Goal, an additional 5e sci-fantasy monster book. A 100 entries if the KS reaches $100,000.

I think I see the logic of "blind" stretch goals, now. I think MCG only puts out a stretch goal when they seem close to getting it achieved, plus it keeps people coming back (or keeps news sites/forums pushing out the news) as things change.

People will keep asking if there's going to be a 5e Numenera conversion PDF as a goal, I wonder if, instead, MCG will put out a brand new 5e setting, or even a novel.

theworstdm

Explorer
I've backed a bunch of their Kickstarters at the "all in" level, and it's always been worth it. It ends up being a lot of great products.

I just looked at the Kickstarter for Numenera 2: Discovery and Destiny for comparison. I backed at the "I want it all" level which was $280. That funded 10 hardcover books, three printed decks, a printed poster map, a novel and PDF copies of all of that.

Reynard

Legend
I just looked at the Kickstarter for Numenera 2: Discovery and Destiny for comparison. I backed at the "I want it all" level which was $280. That funded 10 hardcover books, three printed decks, a printed poster map, a novel and PDF copies of all of that.

It looks like a typical Numenera HC is $40, with a few in the $30 range and some in the $50 range. So, the $160 "all in" level would be worth it at 5 books, which i am guessing is going to be $500K of funding.

Now, I have to dig into the new shipping rules. If shipping takes up the cost of each of those books by $15 it changes the calculus pretty significantly.

dave2008

Legend
Cool. I am not particularly familiar with Kickstarter. Can you easily change your pledge level?

Once you are a backer, every time you go the kickstarter campaign page there is a "Manage your pledge" button. Click on that and you can simply change it to another reward tier or change the amount of your pledge (for add ons).

dave2008

Legend
If I don't back this on KS, do I lose any chance of getting it? Or will it find itself to stores eventually?

Mostly likely they will be offering it for sale on their website. That is how they are fulfilling the rewards so it would make sense to opening them up to everyone once it is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads