Music Theory 101

Oversquid

First Post
Its a weird thread to post here, but I still want to post it.

I want to know more about music theory, especially things like song structure, as well as terms used when describing the music's flow, such as "crescendo" or some other terms like that.

I want to know so that I can have a better idea in how mess around with a few musical concepts in my tabletop games.

Basically, can any of you teach music theory in terms of song structure to someone who knows nothing about it?

Thanks guys!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd start off just getting a pocket-sized book of musical terminology; should cost less than a tenner, especially if you can find a used one.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I would second the recommendation to start with a basic book on the subject. My sister-in-law is working on her doctorate in music composition, and student-teaching basic music theory for college students- you will probably not get a good foundation from strangers on the net (even helpful, well-informed people like those on EN World).

Oversquid

First Post
Aye, asking about this stuff here was probably a bit of a stretch, but I really don't need anything too complex. Just a rundown of musical terms, and enough of it to be able to apply it to my games (Figuring out stuff for making the Bard a bit more... customizable (D&D 3.5ish)).

Yeah, I could get a book, but that costs money, and I want to see if I can save that much.

Ahnehnois

First Post
If, after reading some basic information, you have specific questions it might be worth asking them; "tell me about music" is too broad, but "how can I translate the concept of a crescendo into game mechanics" is something we could conceivably discuss.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
Aye, asking about this stuff here was probably a bit of a stretch, but I really don't need anything too complex. Just a rundown of musical terms, and enough of it to be able to apply it to my games (Figuring out stuff for making the Bard a bit more... customizable (D&D 3.5ish)).

Yeah, I could get a book, but that costs money, and I want to see if I can save that much.

I agree with [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION], [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION], and [MENTION=17106]Ahnehnois[/MENTION] on their suggestions. Do a little research with wikipedia or a pocket music dictionary and then ask more specific questions. Also, I know you said you want to save money, but Song and Silence has some good ideas on rogue and bard characters you can modify for use in your 3.5 campaign. (It adapts well even though it's a 3.0 product.)

Are any of your players musicians? If any are, you might let them give you some guidance and input. You'll have someone to ask who is both knowledgeable of the material and directly engaged in your game. (And then that person won't be telling you 'you aren't doing it right later.) ;)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
And ... music theory isn't the same as understanding music terms. Most of those are just Italian, and are simple to understand:

allegro: cheerful or brisk

largamente: broadly; i.e., slowly (same as largo)

larghetto: somewhat slowly; not as slow as largo

larghissimo: very slowly; slower than largo

largo: broadly; i.e., slowly

Even this seems to be stuck in mechanics:

http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.com/

The first thing musicians should learn about music theory is notation: the staff, clefs, note names, rhythms, rests, intervals, meter and time signatures, key signatures, and dynamics.

The next things musicians should learn are scales and chords (harmony).

The next things to learn are melody, phrases, and musical forms.

If you have you learned all of the above then you will have a firm grasp of music theory.

Important, but insight seems to still be a long ways off.

Poking around a bit more doesn't help much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_emotion

Ugh. Still searching.

TomB

Mary_Crowell

First Post
[MENTION=13107]tomBitonti[/MENTION], I know what you mean. I'm not sure what kind of insight [MENTION=6684394]Oversquid[/MENTION] is looking for exactly. Just terms? A real understanding of how music is put together?

I have a campaign that is strongly music based, and I've posted one blog entry about it here at ENWorld.

Some cool things to google for ideas would be the following:
Doctrine of Ethos: Music is mathematics. The universe is made of mathematics. Therefore music is affected by and can affect the universe--remake it, control it, etc. I wrote a song about it.
http://magnusretail.com/Mary_Crowell/lyrics/doctrine_of_ethos.html

Doctrine of Affections: Outgrowth of Doctrine of Ethos. Baroque composers used specific music patterns like the 'sighing motif' to convey emotions in their pieces of music. More importantly, they liked a specific movement (piece of music that can stand alone, but is actually part of a larger work) to convey only one given emotion. (Classical and Romantic composers have changing moods and tempos throughout their movements and larger works.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_the_affections

Programmatic music: Music conveys idea, place, personality. Sometimes it is obvious: cuckoo motif or hunting horns. Sometimes it is trying to use the musical patterns to convey the ocean, or love and death. Richard Wagner loved to use leit motifs (bits of music that are associated with a person, idea, weapon) throughout his operas. John Williams uses this in Star Wars. Darth Vader's imperial march is hidden right near the end of Anakin's theme music while he's being tested for midichlorians. Hector Berlioz had his idee fixe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphonie_fantastique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_music

Maybe these might help?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Terminology is only the beginning, I agree.

But without knowing what- specifically- is being asked to be taught, nobody is going to be able to give a Cliff's Notes on Clefts & Notes...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases