Self Publishing: What's An Artist Worth?

If you're like many other folks who have recently delved into the foray of self-publishing 5E products, you've probably quickly realised that art is expensive (actually, I dislike using that term - it's not expensive for what it is). Some people are lucky enough to have artistic talent which lets them illustrate their own products; others need to rely on the hard work of other contributors to help bring their words to life. This short article covers a few basic ways you can get your product illustrated. Welcome to a well-established community of small and self-publishers in the RPG industry!

If you're like many other folks who have recently delved into the foray of self-publishing 5E products, you've probably quickly realised that art is expensive (actually, I dislike using that term - it's not expensive for what it is). Some people are lucky enough to have artistic talent which lets them illustrate their own products; others need to rely on the hard work of other contributors to help bring their words to life. This short article covers a few basic ways you can get your product illustrated. Welcome to a well-established community of small and self-publishers in the RPG industry!

Are You A Writer Or A Publisher?
First things first, it's important that you start from the right perspective. If you're producing and selling products, and using artists to illustrate them (we'll leave out editors and layout/design people for now), you're not just a writer any more. You're a publisher. A small publisher, perhaps, but a publisher nonetheless. Being a publisher isn't the same thing as being a writer - it requires different skills; and as a publisher, albeit a small one, you have a new set of responsibilities. Publishing ain't always easy, but it can be rewarding.

If you just want to be a writer, that's a different thing. As a writer, you don't need to worry about art, someone else can edit your work, someone else does the layout, someone handles the marketing, someone handles the accounting. If writing is the thing you really want to do, consider instead approaching a publisher and writing for them. They'll do all the (non-written) hard work, and you'll get paid for your writing.

But if you're doing the whole shebang - using artists, selling the work, and so on - you're a publisher. You may prefer to think of yourself as a struggling writer, but you've taken a step beyond that; and as a small publisher you need to consider the hard work of others involved in bringing your words to life. You may be surprised to find that that can take as long or longer than your actual writing, and involve just as much hard work!

Don't Work For Exposure
Now, art isn't cheap. Or at least, it shouldn't be - it is possible to persuade artists to work for peanuts (or worse, for exposure) but doing so is exploiting them. A quick Google search will reveal hundreds of articles about how artists should not work for free or for exposure, and the reasons why, so I won't belabour the point here except to say that it is important. I even wrote a similar article (focused on writers, not artists) a while back.

That might mean you can't afford art, at least at first. That's totally OK. It's OK to not be able to afford something, and to work towards being able to afford it, and books with little or no art are just fine! However, there are other options which mean that you can actually afford art and pay your artists a fair amount. Every small publisher has gone through this - if you look at DTRPG, you'll see thousands of small publishers who have gone through that very thing. Don't panic; it's not a new problem. If you keep producing quality stuff, you'll be able to start slowly improving the production values of that material. "But I can't afford it" is not a great reason to exploit somebody; it's a great reason to hone your craft and reputation and work towards being able to afford it. In the meantime, starting with little or no art is just fine; if your writing is solid, you have a great starting point.

That said, in this day and age, there are some amazing resources which enable you to early circumvent these barriers. It's a pretty wonderful time for self-publishing!

Some Solutions
The most obvious one is Kickstarter. Let's say you need a thousand dollars to illustrate your short book (like I said, art is not cheap - I spent £20,000 of Kickstarter funds on art for my WOIN books). A Kickstarter campaign to raise that thousand dollars has a number of benefits. First, you find out in advance if folks want your book. Second, it has its own marketing value all of itself. Third, it means you can pay your artists a fair wage. Fourth, if you raise more than your thousand dollars, you start making profit before even putting the book on sale. Fifth, you can then sell the book.

That's a win-win situation. Your book ends up looking good, everybody gets paid fairly, you make money. It's hard to find a good reason not to do that, especially when your back-up plan is to ask artists to work for free. Work out what art you need, work out how much it costs, and there's your Kickstarter goal. When your book gets funded, your artists' fair pay is built-in to the model.

I would normally include Patreon as an option, but the logistics are a bit awkward there. Certainly it's very suited to lots of small items, but if you want to use DMs Guild (which I assume most folks reading this do) the exclusivity clause at DMs Guild makes it slightly tricky getting your product to your patrons. I'm hopeful that some loosening of the rules (or a much needed extra feature - comp copies for DMs Guild publishers) is in the future, as that would make for the ideal solution.

What other options are there? The other obvious solution is stock art. There are stock art locations where you can buy art rights inexpensively, or even free public domain art. Those artists make their money by selling the same art to lots of people, rather than doing custom work just for you. There's the big places like Shutterstock, and there is tons of stock art available on DriveThruRPG. WotC has released some art to be used as stock art on DMs Guild (for free!) In fact, there are hundreds of places you can get stock art. Here's a quick list:
Now, there are places you can get art done for next to nothing. I personally feel that doing so is unfair. Some artists may well be willing to work for peanuts because (a) they don't know better and think that's the only way to get started as an artist or (b) they don't need the money as they have a full time job and are just doing it for fun. The former, unfortunately, have their viewpoint reinforced by all those publishers who keep telling them that that is true, when it isn't; the latter undermine the former because they make it look like art is, indeed, a cheap commodity. For that reason, even if you don't need the money, if you're an artist I hope that you still charge a fair price for your art, because not doing so harms those that do need the money.

Can you get art for dirt cheap, or free? Sure. Should you? The desire to get your awesome words out there and looking pretty is understandable and the temptation to do what you need to do to get that done right now is hard to resist, especially if you have no money to spend. I've been there! I asked Claudio Pozas, an artist I've known for 16 years, who started small and worked his way up:
Why not just offer US$5 and use whatever artist takes the bait? There are several reasons for that:

1) You'll get the art you paid for: probably rushed, from a starting, naive artist who is hurting his career more than helping.​
2) There's the ethical quandary of offering a payment that is unlikely to support the worker you're hiring. It's a matter of responsibility, when you have the power in the professional relationship (in this case, the job offer).​
3) for the publisher really scraping for money, there are several good artists out there that offer stock illustration. Sure, the art won't be uniquely yours, but it's better than to cheat an artist out of a living wage.​

OK, so now you're asking what a fair rate for art is? That depends on a number of things - colour, black-and-white, size, complexity, and so on. The range does, of course, vary - I'm not saying that beginning artists can charge as much as those who have spent years forging their reputation. A well-known artist may charge ten times or more than a new one; that's OK, as long as the new one is still charging a fair amount.

The average rates I tend to see from artists are in the region of $30 for a quarter page piece, $100 for a full page piece, maybe double that if it's full-colour. For a well-known artist, you may have to pay much more than that, but for the average freelancer, that's about the average. I asked Claudio Pozas again:
"Fair" depends on a lot of things: the artist's experience, the publisher's size, and the product's reach. At the very least, an artist -- like any other person -- should make a living wage out of his work. In the US, the minimum wage is US$7 (roughly) an hour, and there's talk of increasing that to US$15 (a minimum "living" wage).

If an artist is expected to spend two days on an illustration (between sketching, composition, rendering, and handling alterations), that's about 16 hours of work. That artist, at the very least, should be paid US$240 for his time.​
Granted, the artist won't probably work for 8 hours per day, that can be spread out over more days, as the freelancer has to deal with his own workflow, his paperwork, and have time to hone his skills.​
The bottom line is that each publisher should be prepared to contribute to an artist's living wage, so we can end the all-too-real image of the "starving artist". I can see a small, quarter-page illustration that could theoretically be finished (sketch + composition + rendering + alteration) over the course of 8 hours (again, putting together the hours actually spent on the image over several days), and the publisher offering US$120 for it.​
BTW, those numbers I gave you can be adjusted for, as you said, non-work-for-hire, etc. A b/w quarter-page illustration that an artist can do in 3 hours can start at US$30, easily.​

Now, Claudio is an established artist with a solid, reliable, professional reputation. $120 for a quarter page item isn't necessarily what a brand new artist can command, but they can definitely command more than just "exposure".

What about cartography? Dyson Logos offered this information when I asked: "As a cartographer, I charge $250 for a full page map, $175 for a half-page. This is for "work for hire", my rates are lower if we are dealing with licensed material instead (where I keep copyright and provide non-exclusive use licensing)."

You'll notice that Claudio says that an artist should be paid a living wage for work. Now, there is a problem there; I know it well! You, the publisher are not making a living wage, so why should the artist? It's a good question. It's also not the right question. If your business model doesn't allow you to pay a fair wage for art, the answer isn't "exploit an artist", it's "revise your business model; it doesn't work". Don't pass the pain onto those who depend on you - it is, sadly, yours to bear. There are solutions; they take work or patience, but I've outlined several above (start smaller; use Kickstarter; etc.) It may be that you just can't have the art yet. Don't worry - you can, with time, get yourself to a place where you can have it all! Think of it like hiring a builder or other craftsman to work for you (though those types of people long, long ago realised the value of their labour - you won't get them doing it for a fiver!)

You can do other things to make things fairer for artists, and maybe save some money. Consider letting them keep the rights to the art. When I publish, I no longer use work-for-hire art except for very occasional specific pieces which really need to be (and I pay more for them). Work-for-hire means you, the publisher, owns the copyright to the art. Instead, consider letting the artist keep the copyright (don't do that instead of paying them - do it as well as paying them, but you may be able to negotiate a lower rate). The artist can go on to make money by selling prints and the like; even WotC lets its cartographers do that these days. Hey, head over to my friend Claudio Pozas' art store and buy a print of this gorgeous cover he did for To Slay A Dragon. The odds are you don't really need it to be work-for-hire. If for some reason it does need to be work-for-hire, you can still give the artist permission to sell prints themself.

tsad.jpg

[FONT=&quot]SaveSave[/FONT]

Another option is Upwork, a website that facilitates the whole process of finding, hiring, working with, and paying an artist. I haven't used it yet, but I'm considering it for my next project.

However, in my experience, publishing gaming material is almost never profitable enough to be anything other than a hobby, and you'd be very lucky to make back in revenue the amount you spend on professional art. I'm not saying don't spend money on professional art, I'm just saying don't do it because you think you'll make substantial money on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A
However, in my experience, publishing gaming material is almost never profitable enough to be anything other than a hobby, and you'd be very lucky to make back in revenue the amount you spend on professional art.

Sure you can. You just have to use the right tools, like Kickstarter!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I haven't seen this before. Can you link me the art piece so I can see?

Woops, missed this months ago. But since this thread is bumped, it is Dean Spencer. He is really one of the best stock art artists, but his license is one use only

http://www.deanspencerart.com/license

To be fair, he does link to the license on his product pages. However, it would be nice (and I think DTRPG should require) mention of the terms on the license on the page itself, not a link.

Sure you can. You just have to use the right tools, like Kickstarter!

It's not just the tools. It's how you use them, as well. You either have to build up a brand name, have a good internet presence, or be a good pitchman. My one foray into crowdfunding resulted in literally zero pledges.

It's not unlike my one experiment of trying to sell a module instead of setting it to PWYW. Literally no one bought it in the first year, after which I set it to PWYW, which brought in a little.

dchart

Explorer
Woops, missed this months ago. But since this thread is bumped, it is Dean Spencer. He is really one of the best stock art artists, but his license is one use only
This is true, but if you back his Patreon at even $2.50/month, you get unlimited uses of any of his stock art you buy for as long as you are a patron. You also get access to his stock art at (effectively) lower prices, although you need to plan in advance.

He's a good example of an artist using creative approaches to square the circle of needing to make a living in an industry that has no money. (And I've been a patron of his for years.)

GreyLord

Legend
I haven't read through the entire thread, but can surmise my experiences with some of the industry as follows...

Before I go on, I should say this is MY OPINION...

The problem I see is that MANY artists think they are BETTER then they are and WORTH MORE than they really are.

If an artist really is THAT good, I'll pay the price for them, but there are so many of them out there that THINK they are worth it, it's ridiculous.

I know one artist that said they charged $300 for a piece of their art.

This is an artist that had graduated college, never had ANY artwork really published except for that with relatives, and their artwork looked more like a cartoon than anything I wanted. The bigger difficulty is that they could NOT CHANGE their style, as an artist they were VERY limited.

I'd pay them $25 for what they offered, IF I even wanted it.

This artist probably thought I was trying to cheat them. In reality, as the one who would be PAYING such a thing, I WAS the one who they were trying to cheat. WHY would I pay them $300 for a piece of art that was basically useless for what I needed it for when I could use that same amount of money to hire a full time artist (at around 42K a year, or something around $20 an hour) who would could put out the same or better quality at 2 or 3 pictures a day (which is $80 per picture at that amount per hour, or with benefits around $120 per picture), OR one ten times better in the style I wanted for a similar or lesser price when hired?

Or if I did it on a per hire basis, once again, WHY should I pay them that amount to an unproven artist?

Even more so, since I can do art myself, perhaps the bar should be they should at LEAST BE ABLE TO DO ART BETTER THAN I DO if they want to get paid, OR expect similar payments to what I get.

Now, if I were starting out, and didn't have the funds, I MIGHT offer to share profits with the artist. It would DEPEND ON HOW MUCH TIME was spent in their art and what quality it was.

IF I spend 500 hours writing and editing a book, but they spend 80 hours illustrating...what is a decent percentage to split with them. In that light I'd say a 20/80 split simply due to time investment.

Of course, that is risky to the artist. If they get a bad seller that return may be zero dollars, or even in the negatives.

If they are REALLY lucky they might make a small profit of less than $100 (which equates to less than $2 an hour).

OR, if they hit the bonsai they may actually do well...but it is rare.

AS has been alluded to, stock art is a good option IF you know you are good and are just starting out, or various other avenues. Getting an AGENT that works with publishers is probably a better idea. They have an idea of just how good an artist really may be and whether they are worth their weight or not.

In addition, it SAVES publishers and writers TIME as they do not have to waste it with hack artists who think they are underpaid when in reality they have just self inflated their own egos on how good an artist they really are.

That does not mean I think that an artist should roll over and accept anything that is given them, and DEFINATELY NOT just do art for exposure. The same would apply to a writer a publisher. IF the writer is not a proven writer, WHY would you waste your art on them without something at least compensatory. A writer should not expect an artist to spend $50 on art supplies, a dozen hours or more on an art piece and then get paid shillings on the pence just for the opportunity to get their artwork out there.

Depending on the type of artwork needed, let's take an illustrator that works at a decent rate of at least four pieces a day, or for a full cover type illustration, at a maximum a week (normally a LOT less, we are being very lenient in some ways). For a beginning artist, we'll say they get above minimum wage and give them $15 an hour. That means for a quicker piece of art, even if we say only two a day, you could expect an offer somewhere between $60 and $100...and that is around what I might expect for it.

If it is really something done quick, then if it takes less than an hour to do, $15 is NOT unreasonable.

Something that takes longer, let's say a weeks worth, should be around $600 at that rate. If it takes you longer than that, perhaps you should rethink how you compare to other working artists.

This is a beginning artist. You are NOT at the top of the food chain. You are NOT proven yet, and to expect to be paid MORE than full time employed artists is pure arrogance. I see this a LOT with artists just getting out there. They want you to pay $1000 for a commission on junk that is unproven.

This is harsh, but AFTER one pays their dues (meaning they work their way upwards in recognition, background, etc) should they expect top tier pay for their work.

However, someone who wants to do illustration (as opposed to other forms of artwork) should realize that many publishers already have their stock standard employee/contractor artists already set. These people are NOT looking to pay someone MORE than they would those they already work with. Normally they are not even WILLING to cut their trusted illustrators for someone else (and doing so causes bad faith). If they DO start handing out artwork requests it is because there is more art they need than their normals can handle, and in that instance they are probably going to want to pay LESS overall then their current group is paid.

I do NOT advocate anyone asking to be paid in pennies or simply for exposure. If it is a startup type thing, then asking for a percentage of the profits is reasonable (in my estimation) if the thought is that pricing is too expensive. However, I also think that asking hundreds of dollars for a piece of art when someone is new to the industry, unless it is a bigger piece, is one of the MAJOR problems a LOT of starting artists make today.

They think they are the next big thing, and they should be paid as such, when in reality no one wants to pay them those types of amounts except the truly desperate and those who do not know any better. Reasonable pricing should be looked at, how much time it costs the artist and how much materials they spend.

No one should be charging $25 for a quick sketch that takes them less then 15 minutes when they are low or mid tier...though if they want to try their luck at carnival/fair caricatures and charging that...go for it. (most art is not seeking caricature type art work).

On the otherhand, even a starting artist should not expect anything less than $50 for a day's worth of work, or even $80 if it takes them a day to do something. One should be paid at LEAST a minimum.

Of course, the other thing to realize is HOW FAST you can work with an effective ability. Illustrators at times are given deadlines and expectations in regards to how fast they can work and how much. Some of the top illustrators out there that I'm aware of are NOT the best artist (believe it or not). They are relatively good artists that can work quickly. Time can be money.

There are many different scales out there on how much out there. On an average I would say around $20 an hour is a good level to base the amount of money you charge once you are not just at the basic level of a nobody.

IF YOU DO GET REALLY well known, charging $1000+ per picture is not unknown, especially if you are illustrating a book (and then you could get anywhere from 15K to 50K depending on the book).

Expecting that right out of the gate though, I think that's a crazy notion that FAR too many beginning artists expect these days and it ends up biting them rather than helping them.

(and vice versa, too many starting artist devalue what they do too much and think that they will work for exposure on unproven projects. Sure, it can work out once in a while, but there are far too many failed projects for me to really think that is a good idea either).

For self-publishing, I'm a cheapskate typically and either do the art myself or con someone I know to illustrate it if their style matches what I am looking for. A more recent RPG project I did (well, in the past few years, so a few years ago) it was basically a trade. I did some uncredited writing for them (which was probably valued around 15-20K) in return for a few of their illustrations (some of which I liked, some which I didn't, but used anyways). That is an example of unpaid work (in theory) but it was NOT uncompensated (I did a LOT of work prior to that in trade for the artwork I received in return).

Even then, I LET THEM RETAIN the rights to their artwork. That's the other sham I see a lot of. Many self-published writers want to OWN someone else's artwork. If they WANT to OWN the rights, that SHOULD cost them a little more money (IN MY OPINION) than the normal going rate...UNLESS it is going to lead to permanent employment or continuing contracts with a company (in which case, no slack should be given on normal pay for the artwork).

Just my two coppers on the entire What an Artist is worth scenario.

GreyLord

Legend
I've put together a guide to RPG Freelance rates, based on my experiences over the last few years. Your feedback is appreciated!

http://bit.ly/RPGRates

For Illustration, depends on the experience and skill of the illustrator.

Your paragraph introducing and discussing rates is pretty good, but the lists that you put down from Spencer probably should not be listed as to what most of those who are inquiring about rates need to know.

For someone starting, I'd never pay them that unless they had exceptional skill. It's WAAAAY too high. Good way to never get employed if that's what they are looking for, at least for normal projects.

On the other side of the equation...WAAAY too low for someone who is really skilled and has a good bit of experience. I'd jump on those rates for full page illustrations in half a second for someone who had a good amount of skilled and showed that they were very dependable.

Average going rates right now are probably somewhere around $20/hr for illustrators (or €19 [typo corrected] perhaps for other areas outside the US) in the West right now. That's for someone competently skilled that can work at the usual rate of work that other illustrators work at. Someone just starting out probably shouldn't expect that...and someone with a great record might be able to charge a LOT more than that.

As you state Spencer is an experienced professional artist it means he's been around for a while. Anyone who's been around for awhile SHOULD know what they are worth and how much they can charge. They don't need a guide and thus the values you list are probably completely worthless to them. Those asking the question your guide is trying to answer probably should not expect to charge as much as someone who's been in the industry for a while. If they do that, unless also working with someone who is clueless or does not know any better, they will lose every time. IT's simply...if the choice is between the guy that is good and dependable vs. someone who we don't have a record of or a lengthy experience with to know how dependable they are in crunch or how good they can create with a deadline, but they are both charging the same price...most people will go with the dependable experienced pro over the inexperienced unknown every time.

Most of my experience is NOT in the RPG field though, so maybe things are different with RPG illustrators than general illustrators as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your comments, GreyLord.

What advice can you suggest to someone who is looking to hire an artist for their game or book? What does a reasonable rate look like?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads