GameHole Con Hints At An "As Yet Unannounced Setting" for D&D This Year

Thomas Valley, GameHoleCon's Adventurer's League coordinator, is currently asking for volunteer DMs for the show in November. As part of the post he refers to "The premiere of an Epic event set in as yet unannounced setting" and "The premiere of adventures set in as yet unannounced setting".

54389065_10157392158874644_7953755252908359680_n.jpg

Ravnica was introduced in 2018, and Eberron support was added to the DM's Guild. Other than that, most of the official D&D stuff has all been set in the Forgotten Realms (Curse of Strahd notwithstanding).

This could be a whole new setting; it might just be a region of the Realms.

In related news, WotC's Nathan Stewart tweeted the word "SPELLJAMMER" a week or so back. He has a history of teasing his Twitter followers with hints about settings which - as yet - haven't come to fruition, so take that with as much or as little salt as you wish!

Last edited by a moderator:

dwayne

Adventurer
It may be Dragonlance because this year is the anniversary, but in my wishlist the main is Dark Sun. (Why not new novels, or comics, to continue the metaplot?). Other option could be Kara-Tur, to create a videogame for Asian players as a hook to get new fans.

Darksun would make sense as the whole psionics "mystic" class and material would be a major part of the setting. But planescape is on my wish list beside greyhawk and mysteria/ Hollow World on bottom.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Darksun would make sense as the whole psionics "mystic" class and material would be a major part of the setting. But planescape is on my wish list beside greyhawk and mysteria/ Hollow World on bottom.

The Mystic/Psion is still in the Limbo of UA and Happy Fun Hour, though. I’ll believe Darksun is coming when I see a Psion UA that actually performs well in the surveys. Same goes for Eberron and the Artificer.

I would just like to point out that "new setting this year" is not new news. We knew last year that there would be a setting book this year. There was a tendency to assume it would be the "Ship Book" that was also being hinted. It's now apparent that "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" isn't a setting book, ergo the setting book is still coming and still unannounced.

Also the word Epic event, might be a hint to rules above 20 and the planes would be a good fit with that as well

No, an Epic is a standard style of Adventurer's League scenario. They span multiple tables, and multiple tiers, all playing through the same adventure at the same time, generally with a winning table chosen from each tier at the end.

This is all about getting AL DMs for the convention.

Mark my words, 5E Spelljammer is going to get folded into Planescape and you'll be Jammin' through the Astral instead of between the Spheres.

I don't know - the Chapter 16 of Dungeon of the Mad Mage seems to distinctly differentiate between spelljammer vessels and githyanki astral ships, stating that they travel by two different means.

Last edited by a moderator:

A book of Planescape about Sigil is possible, but Dark Sun is a true challenge because there are a lot of things somebody would want to add to their own game, for example psionic ardents, lurkers, wilders, soulknife, psychic warriors, incarnum totem shamans, vestige pact binders, wandern and seekers, psionic artificer and martial adept classes (crusader, warblade and swordsage), psiforged, dromites, elans, menades, Athasian genasies (canon in 4th Ed), shardminds, wilders (4th Ed race from PH 3), shadar-kais, maybe spinewyrms as dragons with age categories. Maybe the trick to justify it is the "land within the wind", the Athasian feywild. Other option is there is cursed planar gate to Kalidnay in the demiplane of the dread.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases