Recruiting More Players for "Legacy of the Silver Dragon" PbP

Alkaline13

First Post
Oh, I was going from the d&d4e rulebook - I don't have that other one. :confused: sorry for the confusion.

Ok, so are those rules posted for free anywhere? Or know of a torrent floating around?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
The rules are short, and free (please don't ask about torrentz, it's... generally considered bad form). Anyways, you can find the link as well as character creation guidelines in the first two posts of the official OOC Tread.

It's a different, earlier world than D&D 4E, as you'll see, one where I personnaly got my start, actually. :) OSR (Old School Renaissance) games aim to re-create the excitment and danger of early gaming, before we got buried in stats and rules. I'd actually recommend it for a first time player, as it will allow you to master the basic concepts before moving on to more complex, tactical systems like 4E. YMMV, of course, but that's my fifteen bucks right there (inflation's a b***h, you know :)).

Oh, and thanks for the reputation, much appreciated.

EDIT= Re background, just a suggestion here, but maybe you could be the brother of our current hafling thief if you want, irrespective wether you join the anything Goes or the Hack and Loot groups? It would get you a strong in, either to be recruited by Bosco, or to contact Antares (who'se presently staying as a semi-freeloading guest at the halfling's house until he can his finances in order (been kicked out of his rich parent's house for liking the academic side of things a bit too much (read: not even starting to pull his own weight at the elvish equivalent of 18 :D)).

Last edited:

Alkaline13

First Post
I downloaded the PDF last night, and luckily today starts my summer vacation from my studies. Now I will have time to relax and read through this rulebook :) I'll page through it and post an update soon

Alkaline13

First Post
So it's basically a less complicated version of d&d? That sounds great! I hate to pad my post count with another little tidbit, but I plan to sit down tomorrow and knock out some info for my character.

gambler1650

Explorer
Alkaline13, the S&W core rules are basically a cleaned up version of OD&D (the original D&D rules). It relies a lot on the DM to make rulings. There aren't rules for everything a character can do, and so that means you're free to ask if you can do something, and then I decide if you can do it and what roll (if any) you have to make and what the consequences of success or failure are.

Alkaline13

First Post
How realistic do you run the game? If I buy 20 arrows and take a shot, will I need to keep track of the total number? How do you count gear? (Do I need to keep track of my weight?) taking a look in the rule book to decide on my gear... now that I'm looking at the right rulebook. Lol

Alkaline13

First Post
Character Name:Wilben Milner, aka Wil
Class: Thief / Rogue
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral
Deity: gold

STR: 11
DEX: 16
CON: 13
INT: 9
WIS: 8
CHA: 11

Hitpoints:5
Saving Throw: 15

Items purchased:
Backpack (30 lb) x1
Bedroll x1
Candle x10
Chalk x10
Fishing Net (25sq ft) x1
Flint & Steel x1
Grappling Hook x1
Hammer x1
Ink pots x2
Ladder (10ft) x5
Latern, bullseye x1
Oil, lamp (1 pint) x5
Parchment (sheet) x10
Rope, hemp (50ft) x2
Sack (15lb) x3
Torch x20
Waterskin x2
Tent x1
Iron pot x1
Rations, trail x4
Spike, Iron x5
(49.00gp spent)

Leather Armor
(5.00gp spent, weighs 25lbs)

Dagger x4
Sword, Short x2
Sling x1
Stones, sling x1stack (20)
(24.20gp spent, weighs 24lbs)

Gold Pieces remaining: 71.8 gp
Weight carried 56lbs

Background:
Wilben grew up in Port Osvale, to the far west, as the son of a fisherman. Even from a very young age, he could remember seeing noble warriors in plate armor, mysterious sorcerers with flowing robes, holy priests with chains and relics around their waists and necks... all passing through their port. As he grew older, so did his curiosity for life beyond the fisherman's duty.

As he "matured," he honed his craft... albeit not much, but years of working on a ship helped his coordination on land. His sense of balance, strength, and general dexterity were his area of expertise. Tired of being just the son of a fisherman, he decided to take his skills to the streets. Wil figured with his quick hands and quick tongue, he could make a small fortune off of the visitors of the port. But like all young men who get greedy, stealing coin from the local tourists became too simple - and to push the envelope he began to take small trinkets, which then became larger trinkets... and so went the pattern until one day Wil was stopped by a mysterious person, dressed in black leather.

The mystery person grabbed Wil's hand, just as it was about to slip a very shiny broach from a woman's dress as she was looking the other way. The person spoke in his ear quietly, "are you looking to get caught? I've watched you perform this thievery in the same area of the market place! Are you trying to go to jail for something so cheap? If you want to make more money, follow me to the pub... we have much to discuss..." Wil removed his arm quickly, turning away from the woman who still had no idea what just happened.

Wil barely noticed the man wearing black seated in the far corner until he was waved to the table. There he found the mysterious stranger sipping an ale and a funny little halfling smoking herbs and blowing smoke rings to amuse himself. "How would you like to make more money and see the world? We are looking for another person to join our little band of thieves... and a young person like you is just what we need... we leave town tomorrow. Bosco here and I will give you the proper training you need to not be so damned obvious and stupid! We don't need you getting caught if you're with us! We are staying in the Inn here, if you are to join us... we leave at sun rise, rather your equipment and burial money and meet us here. Hope to see you then."

He found the stranger and the halfling the next morning at the Inn, and the three set off on their journey together.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Nice character, Alkaline!

In terms of comments, I think you forgot to add the basic 10 pounds for standard equipment, plus 7 pounds for the 70+ gold coins in your purse (top of p.23 in the rules). Gambler might possibly also wish to put a weight on the fishing net and the tent - as those are fairly bulky/weighty items - but other than that it seems fine.

27 seems old for him though, if I might say, perticularly in a medieval setting (fantasy medieval, but still :)). At 27 most people in this time will have a wife, kids and at least 10 years+ of experience in their chosen profession (if it's not 15+ years). Given his apparent lack of overall experience (from his background and the fact that he's level 1), I would suggest dropping it to 17 instead?

Re background, you'll have to work out the details with Gambler and [MENTION=11760]Whizbang Dustyboots[/MENTION] (Bosco's player), of course. I'd suggest putting "suggested background" as the title until then as adding or substracting from another character's background usually requires permission/prior consultation with his or her owner? I'm personnaly a bit disapointed you didn't choose to be a local, as the 'rise from humble origins' and 'becoming fully realized adults/heroes' themes (which are sort of inherent to the Starting From Level 1 experience), to me, work so much better/have so much more impact when they are lived in a community that you care about and with adventuring partners that know you and that you know (and, as we've found out, there is plenty of wilderness close by (sometimes much close than you think) to live out exploration themes anyways, without having to add the PCs base town to the list as well). Ah well, different strokes, right? Speaking of, I take it you've chosen to join Bosco in the Hack and Loot party? Should make for some interresting reading. :)

Remove ads