Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Quickleaf

Legend
That essentially is the problem.

In popular media, there are about 5 different ranger "concepts" and 5 different ranger "functions"

I actually think that's always been the case with the ranger, and it's a feature not a problem. The ranger's always been a hodgepodge since it's inception. Arguably the 4e ranger deviated from this with a much more focused class, but the overall trend for rangers has been "hodgepodge." Maybe with more competing concepts than before, but still a hodgepodge like it always was.

The ranger class, like the sorcerer class, just needed one more iteration of design and one more sub-class each in the PHB. I think if these things were done (or are done), a lot of debate would become moot.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I actually think that's always been the case with the ranger, and it's a feature not a problem. The ranger's always been a hodgepodge since it's inception. Arguably the 4e ranger deviated from this with a much more focused class, but the overall trend for rangers has been "hodgepodge." Maybe with more competing concepts than before, but still a hodgepodge like it always was.

The ranger class, like the sorcerer class, just needed one more iteration of design and one more sub-class each in the PHB. I think if these things were done (or are done), a lot of debate would become moot.

Indeed.
Part of it being the shortcut and ease of just planting every "nature hero" thing into a spell.
The other is skills being formalized to handle aspects not deemed too magical.

A longer playtest would have help. But the hodgepodge, like you said, was inevitable. Because page space.

Thanks Tom. Well, first, I'll direct you here, Rehashing the Ranger "Final" version is post #37, for the ranger rewrite I've already done.

But this does rather interest me...which kinda makes my head want to explode, considering I have a half dozen fighter archetypes (including a warlord) and a witch class using up "brain space" at the same time.

Since it would just be a 5 level, "mini-class" just to get the idea out into the inter-verse, I can probably throw something together today.

I like what you've done here. It's not really what I'm thinking, but it totally works.

My only two thoughts/questions are: 1. For the Spellcaster, if I don't take it until my 5th level archetype, does that mean I get to start as a 5th level caster (4 1st/2 2nd)? I think it clear that is not/should not be the case...but I can totally see people trying to get away with that. Since there are no #2, 3, 4 features for this subclass, I would think a single sentence stating that if you take this archetype as your 5th level/Secondary archetype, you begin at the start of the spell progression table, i.e. as a 3rd level caster, and increase with your levels from there. Basically, just tack on, "If you take this archetype as your 5th level/Secondary Archetype, you function as a spellcaster two levels lower than you are."

2. The "Flank" action for the Special Beast actions is not really necessary/redundant. The Help action will allow the beast to flank with you (or any other character you direct it to Help). I also think "Stay" is unnecessary and, in my own Beastmaster rewrite, I just say that when it isn't directed or completes an action, the animal just returns to your side (or close to you/your immediate area as it can).

But the rest all looks good to me. I'll get to hammering out something for levels 1-5 after a fresh cup of coffee. :cool:

For 1, yeah, I'd assumed you come in at 5th level. You've already paid the opportunity cost of delaying the feature by two levels, and none of the other archetypes penalize you by anything more than the delay, so I didn't see a reason to cut caster level. But you could certainly do it the way you propose.

As to 2, I don't suppose the actions are completely necessary, but I like to play with minis where the exact positioning will matter more.

gweinel

Explorer
I actually created a variant druid -- the Spirit Shaman -- using the spirit companion features of this new Ranger build. The spirit companion basically replaces the default Wild Shape ability.

It suits better your built than the new ranger imho.

Even if ambuscade isn't overpowered (which I think it is) it can make combat too swingy when paired with rogue/assassin or fighter. It needs to be later not at first level to prevent cherry picking.

It's also just plain weird. An extra turn that comes out of nowhere interacts oddly with durations. E.g. Stunning Strike during an Ambuscade turn may have effectively no duration at all, if the Ambuscader rolls high on his initiative, thus making high initiative bad.

Ambuscade is a nonmagical Time Stop, the only other mechanic which grants additional turns. But Time Stop halts time, so it's easy to adjudicate its effects. Ambuscade... is doing what?

Staffan

Legend
Ambuscade is a nonmagical Time Stop, the only other mechanic which grants additional turns. But Time Stop halts time, so it's easy to adjudicate its effects. Ambuscade... is doing what?
High-level thieves have a similar ability: in the first round of combat, they get a second turn 10 counts later on initiative.

Ristamar

Adventurer
High-level thieves have a similar ability: in the first round of combat, they get a second turn 10 counts later on initiative.

Which made me wonder why they didn't use that ability as a model to begin with. If the purpose was to emulate a fast or preemptive action, give them a similar ability, but make it 10 counts above than their rolled initiative. It'd be a lot cleaner than the "round before the first round" silliness.

Last edited by a moderator:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Here we are @BluSponge , @Olgar Shiverstone , @Quickleaf , and anyone else interested, of course.

That took significantly more time and effort than I expected (or wanted) to expend...but I think it all worked out fairly well. Naturally, a single set of eyes other than mine will notice some obvious mistakes/problems/inconsistencies (and thank you for that). I think there are tings in the progession chart that I had wrong/renamed or forgot to include...but it's all in the descriptions.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts or comments, of course, but probably best to leave them in my Ranger Rehash thread in the Homebrews sub-forum so as not to derail this thread with this business any further.

Have at ye!

Last edited by a moderator:

BluSponge

Explorer
Look forward to hearing any thoughts or comments, of course, but probably best to leave them in my Rehashing the Ranger thread in the Homebrews sub-forum so as not to derail this thread with this business any further.

Have at ye!

Whoa! That's a lot more than five levels! I'll have to give this a closer look tonight.

First impressions - and keep in mind, I'm no expert on 5e - it looks awfully...complicated. I suspect you could trim this down a bit to make it leaner and meaner. But I want to actually read the thing before I start spouting off suggestions. :)

Tom

Remove ads

Remove ads