D&D 5E DM advice: Necromancers, Undead, and Attunement

Hey guys...

I have a PC playing a necromancer. He animated 2 dead gnolls as skeletons. He now wants to take a magic breast plate and put it on one. The +1 just makes since would transfer to the gnoll...no issue. However it has a power if you attune to it that can be activated. My question is, can the skeletons use it? I know the final answer will be up to me (THE DM) but I'm looking for other DMs and Players point of views.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally, I would say that unintelligent undead cannot attune magic items. However, I would allow the necromancer to use one of his own attunement slots for the undead minion to make full use of the item.

D

dco

Why not? Skeletons can take a short rest like any other creature, they can choose to regain their hp or attune to a magic item if they meat the prerequisites.

I know that skeletons are actually somewhat intelligent in this edition, but I would suggest against letting them attune to magic items. It risks setting a bad precedent for arguments that they count as people and have souls.

Likewise, I wouldn't allow a golem to attune to anything. It's just easier that way.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I might allow it. Unless you're running some kind of crazy Montey Haul game, how many attunement items will the party honestly have that they want to waste on skeletons? On the other hand, if the party has a lot of useful attunement items and the necromancer is basically trying to circumvent the 3 item limit, then I'd be inclined not to allow it. If attunement has a particular explanation in your setting ( [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] 's idea that only creatures with souls can attune) then obviously go with that.

I don't think there is one right answer for every campaign. My answer would likely be different for a fun one-shot than for a high magic, epic campaign.

CapnZapp

Legend
The core question is: does this ability benefit only the wearer?

If yes, I have a hard time imagining something broken, and I'd be inclined to say yes.

On the other hand, if the ability somehow benefits others it's a hard no, unless you go with the suggestion the necromancer needs to use one of his own attunement slots.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

D

dco

I know that skeletons are actually somewhat intelligent in this edition, but I would suggest against letting them attune to magic items. It risks setting a bad precedent for arguments that they count as people and have souls.

Likewise, I wouldn't allow a golem to attune to anything. It's just easier that way.
And a human hireling?
There is nothing said about intelligence, race, souls... the rules talk about creatures and prerequisites, I don't see the problem, a skeleton should be able to don an armor, the same as a hireling elf, human, orc, etc.

MasterYogurt

First Post
I'm in a similar situation with a Necromancer but he hasn't tried this yet. I'm not sure, but I *suppose* I'd allow this. As dco says, a human hireling could also wear the breastplate. The effect wouldn't go back to the necromancer in any way, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases