Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

akr71

Hero
Was this meant to be a downvote? Kay was at 22 before your vote, and it looks like you also upvoted Ursula Le Guin. Unless there were several votes someplace from people I have blocked...?
Ya, I shouldn't post before coffee... edited my post to actually do math. Thx [MENTION=58197]Dausuul[/MENTION]

mortwatcher

Explorer
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 22
Peake, Mervyn 8
Pratchett, Terry 15
Wolfe, Gene 20

Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 20 - 2 = 18
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 22
Peake, Mervyn 8
Pratchett, Terry 15 + 1 = 16
Wolfe, Gene 20

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 18
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 20
Peake, Mervyn 8
Pratchett, Terry 16
Wolfe, Gene 21

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 18
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 20
Peake, Mervyn 6
Pratchett, Terry 17
Wolfe, Gene 21

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is a lie from the abyssal realms of Orcus! I am NOT down-voting her because she has initials. Only because she uses them as her professional name rather than a real name. In 100 years they'll hate me for my initial-ist attitude! :D:devil::D

Yes, but there will be someone that will have to hate you initially and the irony will destroy them. :lol:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 19
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 20
Peake, Mervyn 4 - He peaked early and it's been all downhill since.
Pratchett, Terry 17
Wolfe, Gene 21

Alexander, Lloyd 21
Cook, Glen 19
Jemisin, N.K. 14
Kay, Guy Gavriel 19
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 20
Peake, Mervyn 4
Pratchett, Terry 18
Wolfe, Gene 21

I mean, not to put too fine a point on it, but most of the feminist critiques I've read of Kay (one of the many things I check to figure out which author I've never heard of to downvote) regard him fairly positively, if a little heavy-handed and at times too prescriptive. Howard's place in that discourse should, on the other hand, be pretty well-known at this point. Also, do recognize that the typical Howard female protagonist is also a part of that adolescent male power fantasy. I mean, Red Nails isn't exactly billed as "Conan... but for the ladies." :p

I wouldn't have any problem recommending Red Nails - a strong allegory on the futility of war - to a feminist reading group, if they weren't aware of Howard's earlier work. And I think that is it, by the time he wrote Red Nails he had grown up a bit, and if he hadn't killed himself soon after might have been remembered rather differently.

And maybe that is also the case with Kay, I have only read his first book, maybe he grew up a bit too?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases