D&D 5E Middle Earth and aSoIaF martial campaign

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It depends on the concept I'm going with. If I want to play a master of a particular weapon or style like Legolas or Gimli, weapon master. If I want to play a real monster like Hurin, Turin, or Helm Hammerhand, Foehammer.

I actually can't stand the Barding Swordmaster virtue. I truly think it's a bad design to only have one culture have an AC bonus that scales with level. I can't imagine what the devs we're thinking, especially since in version 1 of the Player's Guide it was a flat +1. The only comparable 5e feat is defensive dueleat, and that's just a reaction, not always on like Swordmaster.

Apart from that the cultures are pretty well balanced. My favorite is Dunedain.

OK, so I have been AFK for a few months. I have been working on the campaign more and I have worked more on ideas...BUT my players are unsure if they want to play in a world without clerics to heal and wizards to blow up areas. so my work may be for not.

Global Enhancements as Treasure

Ok, so I have been working on a few new campaign settings for upcoming games (my current game is not over yet) and I had an idea to run by. I am ‘spam/cross posting’ this in my middle earth thread and a new one…the reason is this may be used for that but maybe for others too.

Here is what I asked my players:
[sblock=from group chat] What would you guys think of a truly Global enhancement as treasure. I don't mean "All the PCs gain +1 to x or y" I mean literally by unlocking X the entire campaign world gains a new enhancement...something that you can all use, but so to could NPC allies, and maybe even some NPC antagonist. (I use antagonist not bad guy because for it to work there would have to be limits on it...)
Example: If you go to the shrine of light and unlock the font of power, all good aligned people of the world gain +1 AC
or
If you go to the pillar of dragon fire and rekindle the magic pyre all fire magic in the world gains +3 damage
what would you think of that? Also keep in mind it would be a choice IN campaign, something you could decide to do or not do (so may cause some gridlock like we have seen before). So in the above examples you would know "Hey if we unlock this font of power all those of pure heart will be protected" or "Hey if we fix this fire, then fire magic will become more deadly." [/sblock]

Do you think this kind of magic changing of the campaign world could work, or is it a bit too much?

The idea would be to seed the location early in a campaign. My first idea was since my Martial only game based on a mix of A Song of Ice and Fire, Thundercats, and Middle Earth would be a Points of Light setting, so I was thinking of taking from deadlands and torg.

In deadlands you can tell stories and beat dark monsters to lighten the mood, and bring light back to the world.

In torg they have a mechanic called ‘laws of reality’ and the earth laws make a circle of power where being the underdog and winning a fight inspires other underdogs and makes them more likely to win there fights…

glory spreads hope. hope inspires more underdogs and underdogs become heroes...
Optimisun and Positivity can and will embolden the people...

Ok, so my idea is to unlock a place of power. A place that has the ability to send ‘shards of light’ into the world that can be kindled with heroic actions. Then as they travel from point of light to point of light they can enhance all the good people to push back against the shadow…
I don’t have real rules yet, but I was thinking of some kind of extra effect that PCs could call on to do amazing things, but it only recharged when they did good and showed the world good could still be in the world.

The problem is that this may make the world too cartoony.

So I reworked some of the green lantern oaths and started to think about the new She-ra series. the idea that a power of light could enhance defenses and make something or someone stronger, maybe even heal the weak or sick.

there is a light that hasn't died. A lighthouse on the shore. This is a beacon of hope, a strange tablo of the idea of the light...

In fearful day, in raging nights,
For those alone in the bleakest night,
When all seems lost join the fight
Love conquers all and Hope burns bright

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
OK, so I have been AFK for a few months. I have been working on the campaign more and I have worked more on ideas...BUT my players are unsure if they want to play in a world without clerics to heal and wizards to blow up areas. so my work may be for not.

Yeah getting group buy in is the most important part.

The AiME group I was GMing for is now in a Storm King's Thunder campaign (With me as player!) and I was actually surprised to hear one of my old players say they missed it.

Here is my new pitch, I think I have 3-4 players for the game world (well 4-5 if you count my girlfriend but I think she is in for anygame I run so I don't really count her).

In the Shadow of Dragons
The World of Zemlya
There are no heroes, heroes were in the past, but the shadow killed them. The shadow touched everyone, and ended the idea of heroes. The age of heroes is over and will never come again...or so they say, but they have been wrong before.

The City State of the Citadel is a Sanctuary (Point of light), a safe place in an unsafe world. Or at least it once was...

The Citadel is a huge metropolis... it's over five miles in diameter with almost 30k people and house the ruins of the old college of wizardry that now is home to the sage’s school. It also has a shadow connection to the explorers socioty.

All of you are "Humans", and the Classes are from my Middle Earth book. However, your humans can use different stats... Human (variant), Human normal, Half Elf, Half Orc, and Teifling are allowed, but still humans just 'touched' by fey orc or shadow somewhere in the past... so I have an NPC who is a 'half elf' because his great grandfather was elven. You only have one 'throw back' physical feature of the race but look mostly human. In the citadel you are fine...but someplace might be 'burn the witch' if they think you have been elf or orc or worse touched...

Today is 319DF (After the DragonFall). Humans rule the small points of light, the Elves and Dwarves have their hidden holds, but most of the world is ruled by Orcs, Hobgoblins, Gnolls and worse... The Shadow Lands are now a land without sun, and might be the home of undead and demons.

The world is a Dangerous Dark place, and the Shadow looms over all ready to corrupt anyone and anything. Magic is powerful but rare, and some don't belive it will ever come back.

“Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer. What remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that linger in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading. The Dragons fell, and with it so did magic…”

Coin of the realm is still the major currencies of the ancient empires. Bael Turith used 2 major denominations and a lot of the world uses them, however Arkhoisa used similar size coins. Quarters (about the size of a silver dollar) are worth 25 pennies, pennies are about the size of Nickel...

100 Copper pennies equal 1 silver (100cp= 4cq=1sp)
1 Copper quarter is worth 25 copper pennies
100 Silver pennies equal 1 gold (100sp= 4sq=1gp)

So, everything is a silver economy. A silver Penny or a silver Quarter (25sp) are the normal of the world.

However, some people use 1lb trade bars (especially common in the Highlands) that are worth 100 pennies or 4 quarters... so 1 copper trade bar is the same as a silver penny.

platinum is very rare as an economic force, only the richest use platinum pennies and quarters... but finding a platinum quarter could be a HUGE treasure (worth about 2,500sp) the idea of finding a platinum trade bar (1lb of platinum) worth 1 million silver pieces is a dream to anybody.

Wretched —Squalid less then 200sp per year (less then 2gp per year)
Poor 375 sp per year (about 3-4gp per year)
Modest 750 sp per year (about 7-8gp per year)
Comfortable 1,500 sp per year (about 15gp per year)
Wealthy 3,500 sp per year (about 35gp per year)
Aristocratic 9,000 sp per year (about 90gp per year) or more

Keep in mind this is ‘per person’ average, so a family like Bob Heartclaw and Brenda Heartclaw-Harclay who have 3 daughters (Tara, Debra, and Bobbi Heartclaw) all live at an Aristocratic+ life style…so the 5 of them spend about 50,000sp or more. That means they must have more then that much money.

They say Seira Hawthorn can spend 50k sp in a year on herself and not lower her house value…

Irene Darkholm on the other hand lives modest at best, and lives by herself, so she spends between 400 and 1000 sp per year. She still lives better then half the city.

A working poor man with a family of 3 (wife, child and himself) most likely spends about 1,200 sp per year…and that might be hard for him. Some of this can be ‘made up for’ with making your own cloths or growing your own food, but inside a city it is limited.

here is my equipment list for starting play:
Alchemical
Acid (vial) 10 gp 1 lb. (1d4+1)
Alchemist’s fire (flask) 15 gp 1 lb. (1d6)
Antitoxin (vial) 15 gp
Blood thinner (vial) 1gp
Dream Wine (vial) 1gp
Flash Pellets 30sp
Holy water (flask) 10 gp 1 lb.
Oil (flask) 2 sp 1 lb.
Pain killer (vial) 1gp
Perfume (vial) 5 sp —
Pipeweed, tobacco (10 uses) 3sp –
Pipeweed, sedative (3 uses) 15sp –
Pipeweed, stimulant (1 use) 60sp -
Poison, basic (vial) 60 sp —
Poison, sleep (vial) 5gp -
Potion of healing (2d4) 15 gp 1/2 lb.
Potion of healing (2d6) 20 gp 1/2 lb.
Scent Breaker 10gp 1lb

Basics
Abacus 5 sp 2 lb.
Backpack 2 sp 5 lb.
Ball bearings (bag of 1,000) 2 sp 2 lb.
Barrel 4 sp 70 lb.
Basket 1 sp 2 lb.
Bedroll 2 sp 7 lb.
Bell 2 sp
Blanket 1 sp 3 lb.
Block and tackle 2 sp 5 lb.
Book (100pg) 2 gp 5 lb.
Bucket 2 cp 2 lb.
Caltrops (bag of 20) 3 sp 2 lb.
Candles (3) 1 cp —
Case, map or scroll 3 sp 1 lb.
Chalk (3 pieces) 1 cp —
Crowbar 5 sp 5 lb.
Fishing tackle 1 sp 4 lb.
Flask or tankard 1 cp 1 lb.
Grappling hook 5 sp 4 lb.
Hourglass 25 gp 1 lb.
Hunting trap 15 sp 25 lb.
Ink (1 ounce bottle) 25 sp —
Ink pen 2 cp —
Ladder (10-foot) 1 sp 25 lb.
Lamp 2 sp 1 lb.
Lantern, bullseye 20 sp 2 lb.
Lantern, hooded 12 sp 2 lb.
Magnifying glass 3 gp —
Manacles 8 sp 6 lb.
Mirror, steel 12 sp 1/2 lb.
Paper (one sheet) 15 cp —
Parchment (one sheet) 10 cp —
Piton 2 cp 1/4 lb.
Pole (10-foot) 5 cp 7 lb.
Pouch 15 cp 1 lb.
Rope, hempen (50 feet) 3 sp 10 lb.
Rope, silk (50 feet) 30 sp 5 lb.
Sack 1 cp 1/2 lb.
Sealing wax 15 cp
Shovel 6 sp 5 lb.
Signal whistle 3 cp —
Soap 1 cp —
Spikes, iron (10) 3 sp 5 lb.
Spyglass 30 gp 1 lb.
Tent, two-person 8 sp 20 lb.
Tinderbox 50 cp 1 lb.
Torch 1 cp 1 lb.
Vial 1 sp —
Whetstone 1 cp 1 lb.

Clothes
Common 10 cp 3 lb.
Costume 5 sp 4 lb.
Fine 15 sp 6 lb.
Spring/sum traveler’s 5 sp 4 lb.
Fall/wint traveler’s 12 sp 8 lb.
Robes 3 sp 4 lb.
Handkerchief 1sp -
Amulet 50 sp 1 lb
Necklace (white pearl) 7gp 1lb
Necklace (black pearl) 10gp 1lb
Bracelet 20 sp 1/4lb
Piercing (silver) 3 sp -
Piercing (gold) 25 sp -
Piercing (quartz) 45 sp –
Piercing (topaz) 90 sp -
Piercing (sapphire) 4 gp -
Piercing (diamond) 50 gp -
Signet ring 30 sp -
Hematite ring 45 sp –
Jade broach 10 gp 1lb
Jade prayer beads 25gp 2lb

Rations
Dry Fruit (1/2 day) 6cp 1lb
Dry Meat(1 day) 12 cp 2 lb.
Honey Cakes (1 day) 1sp 1/2lb
Hunk of Cheese (1/2 day) 11cp 1/2lb
Trail mix (1/2 day) 6 cp 1lb
Gummy fruits (1/2 day) 5 cp 1lb
Solid Honey bar 5 cp -
Chocolate bar (plain) 6 cp 1/2lb
Chocolate bar (nuts) 7 cp 1/2lb
Chocolate bar (carmel) 7 cp 1/2lb
Honey, Nut, Oat Chocolate bar 10 cp 1lb
Waterskin 1 sp 5 lb. (full)
Cool Tea Skin 2sp 5lb (full)
Egg/Beerskin 5sp 5 lb. (full)
Berry Wineskin 10sp 5 lb. (full)
Grape Wineskin 15sp 5 lb. (full)
Top Grade Wineskin 1gp 5lb. (full)

Mounts and Animals
Donkey 18sp 40ft
Draft Horse 1gp 40ft
Guard Dog 50sp 40ft
Hunting Dog 55sp 45ft
Hunting Hawk 80sp 50ft
Riding Horse 3gp 50ft
Warhorse (light) 20gp 50ft
Warhorse (heavy) 45gp 60ft

Gaming set
Dice set 3 cp —
Dragonchess set 4 sp 1/2 lb.
Playing card set 50 cp —
Three-Dragon Ante set 4 sp

Artisan’s tools
Brewer’s supplies 10 gp 9 lb.
Calligrapher's supplies 3 gp 5 lb.
Carpenter’s tools 5 gp 6 lb.
Cartographer’s tools 10 gp 6 lb.
Cobbler’s tools 1 gp 5 lb.
Cook’s utensils 35 sp 8 lb.
Glassblower’s tools 3 gp 5 lb.
Jeweler’s tools 2 gp 2 lb.
Leatherworker’s tools 35 sp 5 lb.
Mason’s tools 1 gp 8 lb.
Navigator’s tools 2 gp 2 lb.
Painter’s supplies 1 gp 5 lb.
Potter’s tools 1 gp 3 lb.
Smith’s tools 5 gp 8 lb.
Tinker’s tools 15 gp 10 lb.
Weaver’s tools 75 sp 5 lb.
Woodcarver's tools 1 gp 5 lb.
Thieves’ tools 5 gp 1 lb.

Kits
Alchemist’s kit 15 gp 8 lb.
Climber's kit 5 gp 12 lb.
Disguise kit 5 gp 3 lb.
Forgery kit 2 gp 5 lb.
Healer’s kit 75 sp 3 lb.
Herbalism kit 50 sp 3 lb.
Poisoner’s kit 5 gp 2 lb.

and weapon and armor
Weapons

Simple Melee Weapons
Club 3 cp 1d4 bludgeoning 2 lb. Light
Chain 6 sp 1d4 bludgeoning 5 lb. Reach, two handed
Hatchet 10 sp 1d6 slashing 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Javelin 11 cp 1d6 piercing 2 lb. Thrown (range 30/120)
Knife 5 sp 1d4 piercing 1 lb. Finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)
Hammer 4 sp 1d4 bludgeoning 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Mace 12 sp 1d6 bludgeoning 4 lb. —
Quarterstaff 25 cp 1d6 bludgeoning 4 lb. Versatile (1d8)
Sickle 2 sp 1d4 slashing 2 lb.
Light Spear 2 sp 1d6 piercing 3 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)
War Fan 25 sp 2lbs 1d4 slashing finesse, light, special (if you are prof in martial weapons as a reaction you can use the war fan defensively to gain +1 to your AC, if you do you cannot attack with that war fan on your next turn)
Unarmed strike — 1 bludgeoning Finesse

Simple Ranged Weapons
Akuni 3 cp 1/12 lbs 0 piercing light, thrown 20/60
Boomerang 15 cp 1/5 lbs 1d4 bludgeoning finesse, light, thrown 20/60 special (if you miss with a thrown attack make a dex check DC12 if you succeed it returns to your hand, if you are prof in martial weapons add your prof to this check)
Crossbow, light 1 gp 1d8 piercing 5 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed
Dart 3 cp 1d4 piercing 1/4 lb. Finesse, thrown (range 20/60)
Shortbow 50 sp 1d6 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed
Sling 5 cp 1d4 bludgeoning — Ammunition (range 30/120)

Martial Melee Weapons
Arming Sword 75 sp 1d8 piercing 2 lb. Finesse
Battleaxe 30 sp 1d8 slashing 4 lb. Versatile (1d10)
Flail 30 sp 1d8 bludgeoning 2 lb. —
Glaive 50 sp 1d10 slashing 6 lb. Heavy, reach, two-handed
Greataxe 90 sp 1d12 slashing 7 lb. Heavy, two-handed
Greatspear 45sp 1d10 piercing 5lb. Heavy, reach, versatile (1d12)
Greatsword 1 gp 2d6 slashing 6 lb. Heavy, two-handed
Halberd 50 sp 1d10 slashing 6 lb. Heavy, reach, two-handed
Kopesh 45sp 2d4 slashing 4lb. Heavy
Lance 25 sp 1d12 piercing 6 lb. Reach, special
Longsword 50 sp 1d8 slashing 3 lb. Versatile (1d10)
Maul 30 sp 2d6 bludgeoning 10 lb. Heavy, two-handed
Morningstar 45 sp 1d8 piercing 4 lb. —
Scimitar 70 sp 1d6 slashing 2 lb. Finesse, light
Shortsword 30 sp 1d6 piercing 2 lb. Finesse, light
Trident 15 sp 1d6 piercing 4 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)
War Pick 15 sp 1d8 piercing 2 lb. —
Warhammer 40 sp 1d8 bludgeoning 2 lb. Heavy, Versatile (1d10)
Whip 6 sp 1d4 slashing 3 lb. Finesse, reach

Martial Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, hand 3 gp 1d6 piercing 3 lb. Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading Crossbow, heavy 2 gp 1d10 piercing 18 lb. Ammunition (range 100/400), heavy, loading, two-handed
Longbow 2 gp 1d8 piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed

Ammunition
Arrows (20) 3 sp 1 lb.
Crossbow bolts (20) 3 sp 1 1/2 lb.
Sling bullets (20) 1 cp 1 1/2 lb.

Armor

Light Armor
Reinforced Cloths 10 sp 11 + Dex modifier — Disadvantage 8 lb.
Leather Jerkin 20 sp 11 + Dex modifier — — 10 lb.
Studded Leather 1 gp 12 + Dex modifier — — 13 lb.

Medium Armor
Hide 25 sp 12 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 12 lb.
Chain shirt 150 sp 13 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 20 lb.
Scale mail 2 gp 14 + Dex modifier (max 2) — Disadvantage 45 lb.
Breastplate 4 gp 14 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 20 lb.
Half plate 10 gp 15 + Dex modifier (max 2) — Disadvantage 40 lb.

Heavy Armor
Ring mail 2 gp 14 — Disadvantage 40 lb.
Chain mail 10 gp 16 Str 13 Disadvantage 55 lb.
Splint 20 gp 17 Str 15 Disadvantage 60 lb.
Plate 50 gp 18 Str 15 Disadvantage 65 lb.

Shield
Bracers 15 sp +1 — — 2 lb.
Shield 25 sp +2 — — 6 lb.

Remove ads