The Pitfalls of D&D Beyond Data

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Pretty sure hes saying there are clear colored marbles so a list covering colors would imply colorless isnt listed in the distribution but all marbles with colors (whether clear or opaque) would be included.

When you list a distribution of subclasses, that automatically implies only those with subclasses. No need to say you are excluding those without a subclass as that is implied by the title and it would be redundant to say "where applicable". Of course its "where applicable". Ordinary English implies that and it's not a legal document just a short heading.

In fact, I would and did use "where applicable" above. The interesting thing is that if you add that it implies that it is not always applicable and so would add the formally implied as omitted classes without subclass back in.

"Subclass Distribution (Active Characters)" - break down of class by subclass excluding those without

"Class Distribution by subclass where applicable (Active Characters)" - break down of class by subclass including those without, since your breaking down the classes without subclass then breaking down the classes into subclasses when they have them.

Both being only active characters which are defined behind closed doors but if we had something like "characters that have been updated in 3 measurable ways with the last 30 days. The possible measurements being changes to HP, Character leveling, Changes to coinage beyond character creation, Changes to character notes, and/or Changes to inventory beyond character creation beyond the first hour of creation so that characters created for quick reference, theory crafting, or that bought inventory (spending gold and changing inventory on creation) and adjusted initial choices still making the character and notes would not be counted.

Of course their is a real chance that offline games to not reflect active characters since they are printed out and might not need to adjust the digital format for quite a while.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Clear = Transparent
Opaque (not able to be seen through; not transparent.)

Clear is not the opposite of color its the opposite of opaque.

Remember this:

Yep... your picked an argument that is vague and abstract to get me to agree with something I don't believe then justify your argument on its irrelevance.

I'm going to try to avoid escalating this discussion further and focus on attempting to make less harsh comments in hopes for further discussion. I hope you will do the same I also want to invite you to try and view our conversation from my perspective.

From my perspective, my immediate response to you challenging my use of clear as not being colorless was to say

If it makes you feel better take my example and exchange every instance of "clear" with "colorless". Actually I'll do that for you.

As an example of what I am saying above. Let's say I have a bag of marbles. 96 Colorless. 3 Red. 1 Blue.

If I created the Chart/Graph below

"Color Distribution (FrogReaver's bag of marbles)"
3 Red (75%)
1 Blue (25%)

Do you find that to be a correct summarization? I don't. I purposefully mislabeled the population. A correct labeling is below:

"Color Distribution (FrogReaver's bag of marbles *colored marbles only*)"
3 Red (75%)
1 Blue (25%)

Please ask yourself if that quote lines up with your characterization of my posts. Please also give me some insight into why you never direclty responded to this comment because from my perspective, if you had responded to this particular comment the discussion would have went forward and we both would have avoided a good deal of frustration regarding this particular side topic.

From my perspective, It was only after I made that comment above in an attempt to move the discussion forward that I made a comment trying to explain why I didn't have a problem substituting colorless in for clear. That comment is below.

Also to anyone that cares: Colorless marbles are referred to as Clear.

From my perspective, you attempted to challenge my use of clear again when from my persepctive it no longer really mattered because I had already changed the relevant example from clear to colorless.

From my perspective I answered that challenge by trying to explain again that I mean a particular thing when I use the term "clear marble". I also give a picture showing exactly the kind of marble I refer to as clear.

From my perspective, you still weren't addressing the updated example which would have allowed the conversation to move past "clear marbles" but instead you commented yet again just to tell me yet again that clear marbles aren't necessarily colorless.

So, that's how the events unfolded from my perspective. Can you at least try to view this discussion from my perspective before you start harshly accusing me of behaviors that are clearly not present when you view the conversation from my perspective.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I'm going to try to avoid escalating this discussion further and focus on attempting to make less harsh comments in hopes for further discussion. I hope you will do the same I also want to invite you to try and view our conversation from my perspective.

Sure. I am good with that train of thought.

From my perspective, my immediate response to you challenging my use of clear as not being colorless was to say

-Missing quote-

Please ask yourself if that quote lines up with your characterization of my posts. Please also give me some insight into why you never direclty responded to this comment because from my perspective, if you had responded to this particular comment the discussion would have went forward and we both would have avoided a good deal of frustration regarding this particular side topic.

To my mind, my answer already covered that. with this post.

Then you would have a more accurate depiction of the case of having or not having a subclass (which is finite and specific in that a character has a subclass or it does not) and it would in fact be a correct depiction. You use of a visual property in the pretense that a clear marble does not get measured as if a color is false because if you give me a bag of colored marbles and asked me to sort by color, I would define clear as a color and separate them into their own pile. If you asked me to count the colored marbles I would say 100 total and if you asked me to count the marbles that have an Opaque color I answer with 4 total because that would be a finite answer.

You said, "Also to anyone that cares: Colorless marbles are referred to as Clear." which means your not saying with color and without color, your defining colorless = clear. That is asserting the use of color and "colorless" as if colorless actually exists and defining it as clear which is not a color. As I pointed out later Clear Blue water is blue but your switching that to say colorless defies that. So your asking me to agree to an apples to oranges argument. Since you have set visual property of opacity and equated to color it in a way that is not true your division of color is not an accurate example of your point...Its like saying whats your favorite subclass? Answer: Rogue... but rogue is not subclass its a class.

Why is this important? If I say I agree that clear is colorless but would divide it by its color as not being red or blue then I am defining it as color and calling it colorless at the same time. That is the contradiction of apples and oranges. A correct statement is that it is clear but of a hue despite it being of very light do to a high-level of transparency. So I would divide a 96 "clear white marbles", 3 "clear red marbles", and 1 "clear blue marbles" into 3 groups by color because all 3 have color despite the clarity level being so much more that on white that people don't call it white. That is not the same as the absolute of having a subclass or not having a subclass. For example: I would also divide 96 "clear white marbles", 3 "opaque red marbles", and 1 "opaque blue marbles" by "opaque color distribution" then I would only count 4. 3 Red (75%) 1 Blue (25%).

This is a false comparison with a loophole that if I except a concretion forces me to except a contradiction in your argument on subclass that does not exist.

From my perspective, It was only after I made that comment above in an attempt to move the discussion forward that I made a comment trying to explain why I didn't have a problem substituting colorless in for clear. That comment is below.

But your choosing to ignore that I don't except your example as valid and keep arguing it when my point is its not a valid comparison so why do keep going back to it? It fails to maintain the absolute nature of having a subclass or not having a subclass because of the apples to oranges nature of the argument. So if you want to continue with your point you need to use an absolute example or skip the example how it is that your able to argue that "Subclass distribution" should cover classes without subclass destitution. I already said I would include lack of subclassing by dividing it at the class level "Class Distribution broken down by subclass when applicable (Active Characters)"

From my perspective, you attempted to challenge my use of clear again when from my persepctive it no longer really mattered because I had already changed the relevant example from clear to colorless.

From my perspective I answered that challenge by trying to explain again that I mean a particular thing when I use the term "clear marble". I also give a picture showing exactly the kind of marble I refer to as clear.

From my perspective, you still weren't addressing the updated example which would have allowed the conversation to move past "clear marbles" but instead you commented yet again just to tell me yet again that clear marbles aren't necessarily colorless.

My point is its an apples to oranges argument forcing me to separate apples (Red), Apples(green) and orange so you can say I separated oranges due to "Apple distribution" then claim they are part of the same group as fruit but while orange are fruit they are not apples. Its not "Fruit Distribution" any more than a subclass is "class Distribution" and if a class is not using a subclass, it is just a class like an orange is fruit but not an apple.

So, that's how the events unfolded from my perspective. Can you at least try to view this discussion from my perspective before you start harshly accusing me of behaviors that are clearly not present when you view the conversation from my perspective.

I don't intend any harshness. If it comes across that way I apologize. I hope explained better here. My complaint is your tangent argument is not comparable because its apples and oranges and presents a loophole by that forces and agreement to a false concept. If you are not doing it on purpose then its just a bad example and I have done as much. So why stick to your guns. Answer my bold point above and trying a new example that doesn't use to visual aesthetics and claim they are the same thing. We don't need to argue clear vs color vs colorless to continue the discussion and my only real point is that is not valid comparison, but you don't have to agree with that ether way, we just need to find one we agree on. I literally used apples and oranges above. Its a bit of satire but understand I mean it as bit of joke. If you don't like that example we don't have to stick with it. Like your marbles, that is not the point of the discussion.

FrogReaver

@ClaytonCross

I said this:

If it makes you feel better take my example and exchange every instance of "clear" with "colorless". Actually I'll do that for you.

As an example of what I am saying above. Let's say I have a bag of marbles. 96 Colorless. 3 Red. 1 Blue.

If I created the Chart/Graph below

"Color Distribution (FrogReaver's bag of marbles)"
3 Red (75%)
1 Blue (25%)

Do you find that to be a correct summarization? I don't. I purposefully mislabeled the population. A correct labeling is below:

"Color Distribution (FrogReaver's bag of marbles *colored marbles only*)"
3 Red (75%)
1 Blue (25%)

You claim to have said the following covers the above:

Then you would have a more accurate depiction of the case of having or not having a subclass (which is finite and specific in that a character has a subclass or it does not) and it would in fact be a correct depiction. You use of a visual property in the pretense that a clear marble does not get measured as if a color is false because if you give me a bag of colored marbles and asked me to sort by color, I would define clear as a color and separate them into their own pile. If you asked me to count the colored marbles I would say 100 total and if you asked me to count the marbles that have an Opaque color I answer with 4 total because that would be a finite answer.

I don't understand why it is that you talk about "clear" so much in your answer to the example I gave where I explicitly removed "clear"? I don't get how a post that talks so much about clear can be an answer to a posted example that doesn't mention clear. I think it would be nice to have an answer that doesn't use the world clear for my example that doesn't use the word clear.

FrogReaver

[MENTION=6880599]ClaytonCross[/MENTION]

You said, "Also to anyone that cares: Colorless marbles are referred to as Clear." which means your not saying with color and without color, your defining colorless = clear. That is asserting the use of color and "colorless" as if colorless actually exists and defining it as clear which is not a color. As I pointed out later Clear Blue water is blue but your switching that to say colorless defies that. So your asking me to agree to an apples to oranges argument. Since you have set visual property of opacity and equated to color it in a way that is not true your division of color is not an accurate example of your point...Its like saying whats your favorite subclass? Answer: Rogue... but rogue is not subclass its a class.

I'm going to finish replying to your post above and I will mention clear a few more times. I then will never mention it again. If you want the last word on that matter you are welcome to have it but I'm not going to continue to talk about something that both of us agree doesn't really matter for the discussion.

I use "clear marble" as a term for a transparent colorless marble. I would never use clear to talk about a transparent yellow marble because to me "clear marble" is a term that refers to a specific kind of marble (transparent and colorless). I understand that clear can also be synonymous transparent and that you are simply pointing out that not all transparent marbles are colorless. However, that doesn't mean I'm wrong for using the phrase "clear marble" as a term that's more specific than the meanings of it's words would otherwise indicate. That said, this doesn't make you wrong either, it just means I'm using "clear marble" as a term and you are not.

I realized you were using the phrase "clear marble" differently than I was as soon as you complained about clear not being a color. That's why I immediately changed my example to colorless instead of clear so that we could avoid an argument about the meaning of clear. However, calling me wrong about my use of the phrase "clear marble" does prompt me to explain that I am using "clear marble" as a term. That's why everytime you accused me of being wrong about it that I answered rather simply with things like "colorless marbles are referred to as clear". And that's why everytime you said I was wrong on this I would again say something similar..

I hope you can accept that and not start on a tangent argument about whether "clear marble" can be used as a term that means something more specific than the words that make up the term.

FrogReaver

[MENTION=6880599]ClaytonCross[/MENTION]

Why is this important? If I say I agree that clear is colorless but would divide it by its color as not being red or blue then I am defining it as color and calling it colorless at the same time.

The example I'm using doesn't mention clear. It mentions 96 colorless marbles. I'm not sure if the rest of this part is still applicable with that change. If it is maybe you can rephrase it so It's clear we aren't talking about clear. No pun intended.

That is the contradiction of apples and oranges. A correct statement is that it is clear but of a hue despite it being of very light do to a high-level of transparency. So I would divide a 96 "clear white marbles", 3 "clear red marbles", and 1 "clear blue marbles" into 3 groups by color because all 3 have color despite the clarity level being so much more that on white that people don't call it white.

I really don't think we can continue a discuss anything important if you are unwilling to admit something as basic as "colorless marbles exist". If you can't do that then tell me and we can save ourselves a lot of time.

That is not the same as the absolute of having a subclass or not having a subclass. For example: I would also divide 96 "clear white marbles", 3 "opaque red marbles", and 1 "opaque blue marbles" by "opaque color distribution" then I would only count 4. 3 Red (75%) 1 Blue (25%).

This is a false comparison with a loophole that if I except a concretion forces me to except a contradiction in your argument on subclass that does not exist.

I think having color or not having color is very analogous to having a subclass or not having a subclass.

FrogReaver

@ClaytonCross

I don't intend any harshness. If it comes across that way I apologize. I hope explained better here. My complaint is your tangent argument is not comparable because its apples and oranges and presents a loophole by that forces and agreement to a false concept. If you are not doing it on purpose then its just a bad example and I have done as much. So why stick to your guns. Answer my bold point above and trying a new example that doesn't use to visual aesthetics and claim they are the same thing. We don't need to argue clear vs color vs colorless to continue the discussion and my only real point is that is not valid comparison, but you don't have to agree with that ether way, we just need to find one we agree on. I literally used apples and oranges above. Its a bit of satire but understand I mean it as bit of joke. If you don't like that example we don't have to stick with it. Like your marbles, that is not the point of the discussion.

When talking about my example you've mentioned clear in relation to it in nearly every post. My example doesn't mention clear, it mentions colorless. So I don't think you are being fair in assessing it as a bad example. From my perspective you've not even directly commented on it yet.

That said I'm fine talking about any other examples you introduce as well as long as you also demonstrate you're willing to talk about my actual examples as well. As of right now I couldn't tell you one thing you think about my colorless marble example because nearly everything you've mentioned has been part of an argument about clear marbles not being colorless etc.

FrogReaver

@ClaytonCross

But your choosing to ignore that I don't except your example as valid and keep arguing it when my point is its not a valid comparison so why do keep going back to it? It fails to maintain the absolute nature of having a subclass or not having a subclass because of the apples to oranges nature of the argument. So if you want to continue with your point you need to use an absolute example or skip the example how it is that your able to argue that "Subclass distribution" should cover classes without subclass destitution. I already said I would include lack of subclassing by dividing it at the class level "Class Distribution broken down by subclass when applicable (Active Characters)"

I'm saying this nicely, but maybe if you would address my actual example you might have a chance of convincing me it's invalid. Or who knows, maybe if you actually address it you will be convinced it's not invalid.

As to the bolded. A distribution must account for every member of the population in that distribution. That's why a probability distribution always includes all possible events, because every member of the population of possible events needs to be accounted for. So the question is what is the population of a graph titled "Subclass Distribution (Active Characters)? Which brings us back to trying to use examples that aren't class or subclass related to help inform us on who is correct. So far though we've talked a lot about clear vs colorless and very little about any examples. Hopefully we can change that.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

@ClaytonCross

My point is its an apples to oranges argument forcing me to separate apples (Red), Apples(green) and orange so you can say I separated oranges due to "Apple distribution" then claim they are part of the same group as fruit but while orange are fruit they are not apples. Its not "Fruit Distribution" any more than a subclass is "class Distribution" and if a class is not using a subclass, it is just a class like an orange is fruit but not an apple.

Any distribution must account for all members of the population that is being accounted for. What you are trying to ask is: can oranges should be included in a graph titled "Apple Distribution (Population X)" and my answer is yes provided that oranges are in population X. So in the above sentence I'm treating apple as simply a descriptor and not a delimeter. As long as the population being described is mostly apples then that descriptor makes sense. If the population was more 50-50 apple to orange then calling it an apple distribution would be strange as the descriptor apple would be a very poor descriptor for that very mixed population. However, when describing a mostly apple population it's perfectly acceptable to use apple as the descriptor even when non-apples are also part of the population.

Ultimately though, I think all your example has done is brought us back around to whether Subclass is a descriptor or a delimeter.

FrogReaver

@ClaytonCross

I think this question will be helpful.

If the word subclass in "Subclass Distribution (Active Characters)" is a delimiter then what is the word class in "Class Distribution (Active Characters)"? If Class is a delimiter then why include it at all, as by necessity all characters must have a class. I think this indicate that class is actually a descriptor and not a redundant delimiter. This makes sense as well when you consider that the title "Distribution (Active Characters)" would have made a very poor title due to lack of descriptiveness.

So if you end up agreeing with me that "class" is a descriptor instead of a delimiter in the first graph. Then isn't it more reasonable to think that the subclass graph title is following the same structure and thus is a descriptor instead of a delimiter as well?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases