Official D&D Sage Advice Compendium Updated

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium. New things: [NEW] Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature...

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium.

New things:

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature. Your choice for the racial trait is your actual ancestor, while the choice for the class feature could be your ancestor figuratively—the type of dragon that bestowed magic upon you or your family or the kind of draconic artifact or location that filled you with magical energy.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Do the benefits from Bardic Inspiration and the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell stack? Can they be applied to the same roll? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes, different effects stack if they don’t have the same name. If a creature makes an ability check while it is under the effect of a [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell and also has a Bardic Inspiration die, it can roll both a d4 and a d6 if it so chooses.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is the intent that a bard gets to know the number rolled on an attack roll or ability check before using Cutting Words, or should they always guess? If used on a damage roll, does Cutting Words apply to any kind of damage roll including an auto-hit spell like [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]
You can wait to use Cutting Words after the roll, but you must commit to doing so before you know for sure whether the total of the roll or check is a success or a failure. You can use Cutting Words to reduce the damage from any effect that calls for a damage roll (including [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]) even if the damage roll is not preceded by an attack roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does the fighter’s Action Surge feature let you take an extra bonus action, in addition to an extra action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Action Surge gives you an extra action, not an extra bonus action. (Recent printings of the [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Player’s Handbook [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]no longer include the wording that provoked this question.)

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a bound and gagged druid simply use Wild Shape to get out? It’s hard to capture someone who can turn into a mouse at will. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Transforming into a different size can be an effective way of escaping, depending on the nature of the bonds or confinement. All things considered, someone trying to keep a druid captive might be wise to stash the prisoner in a room with an opening only large enough for air to enter.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a monk use Stunning Strike with an unarmed strike, even though unarmed strikes aren’t weapons? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a special type of melee weapon attack. The game often makes exceptions to general rules, and this is an important exception: that unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks despite not being weapons.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can the rogue’s Reliable Talent feature be used in conjunction with Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. Each of these features has a precondition for its use; Reliable Talent activates when you make an ability check that uses your proficiency bonus, whereas the other two features activate when you make an ability check that doesn’t use your proficiency bonus. In other words, a check that qualifies for Reliable Talent doesn’t qualify for Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades. And Remarkable Athlete and Jack of All Trades don’t work with each other, since you can add your proficiency bonus, or any portion thereof, only once to a roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The Shield Master feat lets you shove someone as a bonus action if you take the Attack action. Can you take that bonus action before the Attack action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. The bonus action provided by the Shield Master feat has a precondition: that you take the Attack action on your turn. Intending to take that action isn’t sufficient; you must actually take it before you can take the bonus action. During your turn, you do get to decide when to take the bonus action after you’ve taken the Attack action. This sort of if-then setup appears in many of the game’s rules. The "if" must be satisfied before the "then" comes into play.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is there a hard limit on how many short rests characters can take in a day, or is this purely up to the DM to decide? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The only hard limit on the number of short rests you can take is the number of hours in a day. In practice, you’re also limited by time pressures in the story and foes interrupting.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]If the damage from [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]reduces a half-orc to 0 hit points, can Relentless Endurance prevent the orc from turning to ash? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. The [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell turns you into dust only if the spell’s damage leaves you with 0 hit points. If you’re a half-orc, Relentless Endurance can turn the 0 into a 1 before the spell can disintegrate you.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What happens if a druid using Wild Shape is reduced to 0 hit points by [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? Does the druid simply leave beast form? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The druid leaves beast form. As usual, any leftover damage then applies to the druid’s normal hit points. If the leftover damage leaves the druid with 0 hit points, the druid is disintegrated.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Using 5-foot squares, does [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]affect a single square? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT](5 ft. cube) can affect more than one square on a grid, unless the DM says effects snap to the grid. There are many ways to position that cube.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What actions can monsters use to make opportunity attacks? Are Multiattack and breath weapon actions allowed? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A monster follows the normal opportunity attack rules ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]PH[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 195), which specify that an attack of opportunity is one melee attack. That means a monster must choose a single melee attack to make, either an attack in its stat block or a generic attack, like an unarmed strike. Multiattack doesn’t qualify, not only because it’s more than one attack, but also because the rule on Multiattack ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]MM[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 11) states that this action can’t be used for opportunity attacks. An action, such as a breath weapon, that doesn’t include an attack roll is also not eligible.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]stinking cloud [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell says that a creature wastes its action on a failed save. So can it still use a move or a bonus action or a reaction? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Correct. The gas doesn’t immobilize a creature or prevent it from acting altogether, but the effect of the spell does limit what it can accomplish while the cloud lingers.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does a creature with Magic Resistance have advantage on saving throws against Channel Divinity abilities, such as Turn the Faithless? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Channel Divinity creates magical effects (as stated in both the cleric and the paladin). Magic Resistance applies.

I wish the reply on stinking cloud had been more precise - since losing action loses you your bonus action too. Movement and reactions are fine but *technically* spending your action stretching is not the same as losing your action or cannot take action so this reply means...

Inside stinking cloud with failed save, I can still use bonus action abilities and spells that are otherwise legal.

If that's the actual intent, fine, but it seems off.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Aside: there's an official ruling the Sage Advice Compendium that this isn't how the game is designed to work.

Oh, really? Which ruling is that? I didn’t know there was one about how the whole game was designed to work. Btw, did you know this thread is about the recent update to the Sage Advice Compendium?

Can you apply this timey-wimey logic to the Ranger's Natural Explorer, specifically this sentence:

"If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace."

This sentence has the same structure as Shield Master's bonus action, specifically "if you X, you can Y". You're stating that you can Y, as long as X is eventually true, right?

Take out the word eventually, and you’ve got it, X for the Shield Master shove being “you take the Attack action on your turn”. If you do, then you can (on your turn).

So, why can't I use this rule to stealth at normal pace whenever I want, because I declare that I'll travel alone at some point in the future?

Because the condition isn’t “you will travel alone at some point in the future”. It’s “you are traveling alone,” which implies that the action is ongoing and concurrent with the benefit being gained. Verb tense matters.

Or, let's use another example from Shield Master itself:

"If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect."

Let's say I get hit with a Cone of Cold, and make the CON saving throw. Why can't I use the "Y" portion of this (use my reaction to halve the damage) because I declare that I'm going to get targeted by an effect that allows me to make a DEX save for half damage later on my turn (i.e. the "X" portion)?

There are a few reasons why I don’t think you can do that. First, “the saving throw” obviously refers back to the DEX saving throw in the condition, so you wouldn’t be eligible to receive this benefit on a CON saving throw. Second, a reaction, by definition, "is an instant response to a trigger of some kind," and in this case the trigger is the situation described in the condition. You can't respond to something that hasn't happened yet. Also, the verb tense used doesn't agree with your reading. I.e., "are subjected to" is not "will be subjected to".

If there's no strict timing requirement between X and Y like you're claiming, then I should be able to just put my shield in front of any effect that has me make a saving throw and take no damage when I succeed.

It's a conditional statement. X must be true for Y to be true. Any effect that allows a saving throw is not sufficient. It must be an effect that allows a DEX saving throw, and you must be subjected to it.

At the end of the turn, how do we resolve this Schrodinger's Reaction? I can't just go back and turn a bonus action into an action here, like you're suggesting we do with the Shield Master shove case.

For the umpteenth time, that's a blatant mischaracterization of what I'm suggesting, and in this case, taking no damage instead of half damage isn't something you can normally do, whereas shoving a creature is.

That's not now conditions work. The trigger condition is true from the point at which it becomes true until the end of your turn. You can't go back in time and say the trigger was true before the triggering event happened. D&D 5E is a sequential turn-based game, and as a result, timing and order of events matters.

If "you take the Attack action on your turn" is true, then that's something that's true of your turn in its entirety. It can't be both true of your turn and not true of the same turn. You either take the Attack action on your turn, or you don't take the Attack action on your turn. If I have a turn in which I take the Attack action, then I can use a bonus action to shove a creature on that turn.

Again, let's apply your logic to other triggered events.

Natural Explorer: "If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace." 3 in-game years from now, my character will travel alone for day. Therefore, this trigger has been satisfied, and retroactively applies until the beginning of time because the rule doesn't explicitly say my turn. Thus, this rule says my character can simply move stealthily at full pace, period.

No, it doesn't because traveling alone three years from now doesn't make "you are traveling alone" true.

Shield Master: "If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect." I can use my shield to take zero damage any time I succeed on a saving throw, because at some point in the future I'll make a Dex save. Because I'll make that Dex save at some point in the future, the triggering condition is true and thus I can retroactively get the benefit of this feature.

No, you can't because being subjected to an effect that allows you to make a DEX save for half damage at some future time doesn't make "you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage" true.

As you can see, this is nonsense, right?

Your examples are nonsense that needlessly bogs down the conversation. It is not nonsense, however, that taking the Attack action at any time on your turn makes "you take the Attack action on your turn" true.

Asgorath

Explorer
Oh, really? Which ruling is that? I didn’t know there was one about how the whole game was designed to work. Btw, did you know this thread is about the recent update to the Sage Advice Compendium?

This language in the Sage Advice Compendium is quite clear that the phrasing of the condition applies to the entire game, not just Shield Master:

"This sort of if-then setup appears in many of the game’s rules. The “if” must be satisfied before the “then” comes into play."

If "you take the Attack action on your turn" is true, then that's something that's true of your turn in its entirety. It can't be both true of your turn and not true of the same turn. You either take the Attack action on your turn, or you don't take the Attack action on your turn. If I have a turn in which I take the Attack action, then I can use a bonus action to shove a creature on that turn.

I'll refer you to @Ovinomancer's excellent post above where they talk about "if and only if" or IFF, as they did a much better job of explaining why these "if you X, you can Y" sentences have a strict timing requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arial Black

Adventurer
The trouble with having a life is that, when I finally get a chance to peruse this thread again, I have to read through 150 posts before I can reply, and by that time there is so much I want to write!

However, it has given me some perspective. The main takeaway is that there really is only ONE problem with the Shield Master feat, and that problem is called Jeremy Crawford!

His pulling a ret-conned "Actions are indivisible" from his backside has all sorts of destructive and non-sensicle consequences.

The cure for all this is simple: look at his 'advice' with a critical eye, and only adopt those which make sense. Since we have shown that "Actions are indivisible" does not make sense, do not adopt it.

An aside: you cannot use a shield, or any other improvised weapon, in TWF. This is because TWF requires a weapon for both the triggering attack and the bonus action attack. 'Improvised weapons' are, by definition, not 'weapons'.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The trouble with having a life is that, when I finally get a chance to peruse this thread again, I have to read through 150 posts before I can reply, and by that time there is so much I want to write!

However, it has given me some perspective. The main takeaway is that there really is only ONE problem with the Shield Master feat, and that problem is called Jeremy Crawford!

His pulling a ret-conned "Actions are indivisible" from his backside has all sorts of destructive and non-sensicle consequences.

The cure for all this is simple: look at his 'advice' with a critical eye, and only adopt those which make sense. Since we have shown that "Actions are indivisible" does not make sense, do not adopt it.

An aside: you cannot use a shield, or any other improvised weapon, in TWF. This is because TWF requires a weapon for both the triggering attack and the bonus action attack. 'Improvised weapons' are, by definition, not 'weapons'.

It is a lot to digest if you have been absent from following it for a day or more!

You aside, however, is your interpretation. You are the first to mention not viewing it that way despite my posting repeatedly about it. That's cool if you don't want to view it that way, but our group does and our DM sees an improvised weapon for what it is... a weapon (part of the wording of it, after all). However, he did require the player to also take the Dual Wielder feat since a shield, certainly, can hardly be considered to have the Light property even if used as a weapon. Also, I should mention he informed the player that unless he took Tavern Brawler or Weapon Master, he would not be able to use his proficiency bonus on the attack roll with it. The player eventually took Tavern Brawler as it fit the character well. :)

Either way, since it is a matter of interpretation, there is no use debating it since we are both, in fact, correct in our own way.

Last edited by a moderator:

5ekyu

Hero

As an aside to your aside, I would as gm be very hesitant to rule that items i allowed as "improvised weapons" were not in fact weapons for all purposes. The rule constantly refers to them as "improvised weapons" not as say "make weapon attacks with objects."

If I wont allow something to be used as a weapon, I wont sllow it to be used as a weapon. If I will, I will. I dont need to start micro-parsing that ruling of my own into weapons for this and not weapons for that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

My opinion is that you are emphasizing the wrong part of that. Improvised weapons are by definition weapons. Last I checked weapons = weapons. "Improvised" is an adjective that modifies the subject, which is weapon. It's also a weapon that is used in melee, so I don't see an issue with using a shield in two-weapon fighting.

5ekyu

Hero
My opinion is that you are emphasizing the wrong part of that. Improvised weapons are by definition weapons. Last I checked weapons = weapons. "Improvised" is an adjective that modifies the subject, which is weapon. It's also a weapon that is used in melee, so I don't see an issue with using a shield in two-weapon fighting.
Iirc there were a series of (now unofficial) sage tweets from 2015 and 2016 which came down to improvised weapons are weapons but that their use with feats (I think dual was mentioned) was up to the GM. Shield was specifically mentioned in this regard.

Like I said in an earlier post - if I am as GM gonna allow something as an improvised weapon, I am going to count it as a weapon when it is being used that way and not treat it as a weapon on one hand and not a weapon on another.

As an example of this, if a character wanted to use his shield as a weapon on his turn, I would treat it as a weapon in that hand, for that turn, which would impact feats or styles that require that hand not have a weapon in it.

Arial Black

Adventurer
PHB p147:-

"In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon."

Meaning, first, it is not an actual weapon, and second, in many cases an improvised weapon is not similar to an actual weapon.

Weapon = weapon.

Improvised weapon = not weapon, used as if it were a weapon.

'Weapon' is an object designed to be a weapon. The improvised weapon rules provide a way to use objects in combat that are not weapons, and ways to use things that are weapons in a way they were not designed, like hitting someone upside the head with a crossbow.

Things are what they are, even if you use them in inappropriate ways. You can get a piggy-back from a friend, but that doesn't allow him to benefit from the rules for mounts.

The spell magic weapon says, "You touch a nonmagical weapon." Can I cast it on a magical weapon? After all, I could use a magical weapon as if it were not magical? No, no more than you can cast the spell on a painting or a viking longship. The fact that the rules provide a way to adjudicate a PC hitting someone over the head with a painting (or a longship) does not make either a valid target for the spell.

Hold person says, "Choose a humanoid you can see..." Can you cast it on a vampire? After all, they conform to the natural language meaning of 'humanoid': two arms, two legs, one head, one body? No, because the term 'humanoid' is a game term with a specific meaning, and that meaning excludes creatures that are not (game term) humanoids, like undead.

And 'weapon' is also a game term, meaning 'an object designed to be a weapon'. Weapons are simple or martial, melee or ranged. The term does not mean, "anything you pick up and hit people with". If it did, there would be no section on 'improvised weapons', it would just be 'weapons' and include objects like paintings and toasters and....every object in the world!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads