Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

OAR-3-mockup.jpg

Announced at Gary Con this weekend, Expedition is due out in September. Like the others in the Original Adventures Reincarnated series, it contains the original module, handouts, and an updated 5E version.

The adventure features a crashed spaceship, robots, ray guns, and plant people.

You can find out more directly from GG's website here.

Dire Bare

Legend
The only wrinkle on Dungeon and Dragon revamps is the rights issue. I don't know what the old contracts said, but unless they're perpetual rights, WotC would need to renegotiate the use of those old adventures. (Obviously, it's a lot easier when Mearls wrote one of them.)

But yeah, there's a treasure trove of old material they could dust off, either as its own product or to flesh out module re-releases.

Only the oldest issues of Dragon, not sure which numbers. Dungeon I'm fairly certain is 100% with WotC.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I am surprised. I thought WOTC would want to revamp this themselves for 5e.

They did revamp it: LOST LABORATORY OF KWALISH
Available on D&D Beyond and, I think, on DMs Guild.

I'm looking forward to getting this. I'll run Barrier Peaks and then run the same players, but with another group of characters through Kwalish. Need to find players from whom all this stuff is new for the best impact.

I've bought the first two books and will buy this one as well. They are geared more for collectors as only a third of the pages--if that--are needed to run the adventures in 5e. I wish they would release just the 5e portion on D&D Beyond and DMs Guild. I think a lot of people are turned off paying for a thick hardbook that serves better as a game-history text book than a convenient adventure module.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
GOD DAMN MOTHER:):):):)ERS. Sorry. BALLS!

(I was also working on (almost) EXACTLY this. I should REALLY stop work on it now, Goodman Games' version due for publication makes it redundant. There's a LOT of things I need to be doing and...you know what, no. My thing isn't a reincarnation, it's a sequel. It always has been. It can exist alongside this reincarnation.)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I’ve picked up the first 2 and enjoyed them, probably pick this one up as well as I’ve never played or read the original one.

I think, canonically, it's supposed to be a portion of the Starship Warden from Metamorphosis Alpha (and at least one edition of Gamma World). Conveniently, that's also published by Goodman at the moment.

Wikipedia says it isn't the starship Warden from Metamorphosis Alpha but one like this.

* I would like the return of the PC races from d20 Future, and not only Star Frontiers, Star*Drive and Dark Matters, but also from Gamma World.

* After buying my Eclipse Phase corebook now I miss mind transfer and digital immortality in my space fantasy games.

* What is the next, White Wolf with the 5th Ed of Ravenloft?

gyor

Legend
The one I would like to see is Desert of Desolation. And Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh...The two I'd like to see are...

They won't let Good Man Games do Desert of Desolation because it's been tied into FR lore and history (and yes I know it wasn't originally set there, but it got moved there during a key point in FR history).

DoD was the first adventure and the first game product for the Forgotten Realms, I'm talking about the second FRified version.

It also massively shaped the Eastern half of FR, radically forcing it to change from Ed's original vision, especially the South East of Faerun which had a huge ripple effect.

See the mention of Mulan race, the Durpari race,
and the Imaskari race, as well important geographical areas perdates the grey box that otherwise introduced the realms, because of DoD 2.0.

So of all FR adventures I'd argue that DoD had the biggest impact shaping the realms.

DoD changed key things about the old Kingdoms region, which later shaped the Unaporoachable East Region, and eventually even KaraTur.

For the old empires region first the themes were shaped by DoD, then it was detailed in The Old Empires regional book, then Powers and Pantheons, then Lost Empires, then the Spellplague 4e FRCG, which radically transformed it, then the Sundering (SCAG, last parts of the Brimstone Angels Saga), where it was a mix of the old and new elements, in a new time.

So they won't give up a module so vitally to a huge chunk of their default/star/favoured setting to another company.

I have the first two books (each bought at GaryCon in subsequent years). They are fairly well done. As noted above, no PDF makes VTT play a lot harder, but the modules themselves are fine.

Desert of Desolation would be cool, but I mostly remember it for its absolutely gorgeous and evocative Parkinson cover.

I doubt we’ll see the Slavers series, since the 1e versions already got a deluxe reprint a few years ago.

Goodman Games seems to be leaning in on the earlier classics. Maybe the next one will be a Forgotten The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth / Temple of Tharizdun pairing?

I imagine the licensing would be tough, but I’d love to see a Palace of the Vampire Queen / Dwarven Glory release. Considering how rare they are and their place in D&D history, I think that’d be a solid choice.

Remove ads

Remove ads