CURSE OF STRAHD Is Now On FANTASY GROUNDS

WotC's latest adventure, Curse of Strahd, has made its appearance on the officially licensed virtual tabletop software, Fantasy Grounds. As usual, the package comes with player and DM maps, plus it also has Tarrokka cards, a random card selector, and the Death House introductory adventure.

WotC's latest adventure, Curse of Strahd, has made its appearance on the officially licensed virtual tabletop software, Fantasy Grounds. As usual, the package comes with player and DM maps, plus it also has Tarrokka cards, a random card selector, and the Death House introductory adventure.

Curse_of_Strahd_1.jpg

"The Fantasy Grounds version of Curse of Strahd includes all the DM maps provided in the book, plus player versions of the maps. Both sets have been pre-linked with the contents of each area and with monsters preplaced in starting locations for all top-down maps. The Castle Ravenloft maps are prevented in an isometric format, and are pre-linked to the contents for each section but are not suitable as combat battlemaps. You can still share these with players to reveal things as they explore by cutting away the mask (fog layer - as appropriate for Barovia) without fear of revealing secret doors, traps or other hidden items.

The module also comes with images for each of the Tarokka cards and a random table generator that can roll each of the cards and write the results out to a Story entry that you can refer back to later in the game as a DM. In the Curse of Strahd, the Tarokka deck influences where things occur within the story and ensures that each playthrough will be different.

Finally, we've added some themed desktop decals that overlay the Fantasy Grounds desktop to help reinforce the experience of exploring through Ravenloft.

Note that the adventure also includes the Death House introductory adventure as part of the adventure. Check Appendix B in your Story window."

You can grab Fantasy Grounds' version of Curse of Strahd right here.

Curse_of_Strahd_2.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd_3.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd_4.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd_5.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd_6.jpg

Curse_of_Strahd_7.jpg

Jabborwacky

First Post
However you do create content sometimes. You did in fact create 11 maps for Hoard of the Dragon Queen. I think creating top down maps for this module would have went a long way for the customer.

In the case of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, they probably outsourced the maps. That may not be possible with CoS due to copyright issues, or some other legal issues of ownership. That's just my guess though.

To Smiteworks: Thanks for porting CoS over!

smiteworks

Explorer
[MENTION=6790777]JRedmond[/MENTION], true. The guy that did that conversion work for us on HOTDQ (Zeph) is also very skilled at making maps and offered to add those. This is the exception rather than the rule. He has been unavailable due to work and family issues, so these are being done by a different person. We have about 25 different contract folks who all do different work and I would consider only Zeph to be capable of matching the quality of the WOTC maps. Even then, I know it took him a very long time to make those 11 maps and I wouldn't expect him to do so on future modules just because he offered it on HOTDQ.

For Out of the Abyss, I added about a dozen generic underdark cavern maps to our separate FG Battlemaps module that comes with the program to help support it. I think those turned out pretty good, but I would hardly consider myself in the same category as the skilled cartographers who make the maps for WOTC (Mike Schley, Jared Blando, etc.).

RCanine

First Post
Man I love how this looks. As someone who owns the hardcover stuff but wouldn't mind supplementing his in-person experience, is there a version that somehow requires the printed version to run, at a lower price point? My hesitance to use FG has always been the re-buying of stuff I already have. It feels like buying a Blu-Ray when you already have the DVD.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
If you are running everything via voice, or for a face to face game just do it how you normally would reading out the text using a voice channel (like hangouts or teamspeak for online) and only type up the things that you neeed to share privately or hand outs. Then you only need the base program for $39

Remove ads

Remove ads