WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

wotclogo.gif

The job is based near Seattle, at WotC's main offices. Click here to check it out.

It's interesting that the task of "a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons" is specifically called out in the introduction.

depends on what that means exactly...maybe they just don't want you leaving the room if someone else is using algebra

That would depend on whether they're actually spending a use of Channel Divinity and trying to turn me, or if the algebra is just exposed in passing.

JRedmond

Explorer
I like how everyone is like maybe I should just quit my regular job and be a game designer. They do require that you've actually done something prior. Right in the Experience section it says this:

At least three product credits (books, board games, video games, and the like) required, tabletop or digital RPGs preferred.

Lehrbuch

First Post
As someone who has done a ton of hiring in the past, firstly there are no laws that make you have to post a position publicly (maybe government, not sure. But not private or corporate). In fact, many times it's just internal postings and Joe Public never sees it.

Hasbro's a big corporation though, so likely has its own rules that dictate that, unless it is an internal redeployment, the position has to be advertised, that at least three candidates have to be interviewed, etc., etc.

Secondly, there isn't a load of paperwork. Not sure where you get that idea.

Hasbro will certainly have a lot of internal paperwork related to a new position (albeit maybe electronic paper). Formulating a business case. Deciding a salary range. Identifying infra-structure requirements (i.e. is there an office / desk-space free). Getting HR to sign-off on the position description. Identifying an interview panel. Getting approval from some higher level manager, etc., etc.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I like how everyone is like maybe I should just quit my regular job and be a game designer. They do require that you've actually done something prior. Right in the Experience section it says this:

At least three product credits (books, board games, video games, and the like) required, tabletop or digital RPGs preferred.

I often see responses from designers/writers in forum threads when someone mentions their work. There are probably a lot of people on this board who meet the requirement. I know I do either through dmsguild work or some credited work I did in the 90's for a video game developer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Do you feel better for that?

Von Ether

Legend

Welcome to the hobby. Where very GM has secret hopes of becoming a pro game designer, a novelist, a comic book writer/artist, or all of the above!

Let's not forget all the hopefuls during the early days of d20 who charged their latest fantasy heart breaker print run on their personal credit cards.

... Which honestly is how a LOT of RPG and game companies got their start.

Last edited by a moderator:

AriochQ

Adventurer
Welcome to the hobby. Where very GM has secret hopes of becoming a pro game designer, a novelist, a comic book writer/artist, or all of the above!

Let's not forget all the hopefuls during the early days of d20 who charged their latest fantasy heart breaker print run on their personal credit cards.

... Which honestly is how a LOT of RPG and game companies got their start.

I remember hearing a story about some shoe repair guy who borrowed some money from a friend to start his little game company...wondered what ever happened to that guy... :lol:

I remember someone from WotC (Nathan Steward?) saying that their spring release will no longer be locked in as an AP. That they don't want to be so predictable. I also remember Mearls saying that when they release a new setting they want it to be mechanically distinct and interesting. Not just updated lore with a few new classes.

I wonder if any of that has to do with the new hire.

Or it could just be that the team is starting to feel the wear and tear from the Con circuit, Stream of annihilation (Which they confirmed they will be doing again next year), and increase internet celebrity/promoting/presence and need someone to lighten their load a little bit while also manning the helm as they run around.

Von Ether

Legend
Yeah. That seems to ring a bell. What was the name of that game. It has some alteration to it. Dwellings and Devils, maybe? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I remember hearing a story about some shoe repair guy who borrowed some money from a friend to start his little game company...wondered what ever happened to that guy... :lol:

It's not really comparable. Starting up your own small business in a different world and a different time isn't the same task at all as getting a mid-high level design job with an existing corporaion. What happened in the 1970s was incredible, but that's not what's being advertised here.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases