Lovecraft's Moonbeast for 5e

dave2008

Legend
To be honest I don't remember the moonbeast from my Lovecraft and CoC days, but for D&D I think CR17 seams a little high. that being said I calculate the CR at 13 (16 defensive and 10 offensive), how are you getting 17?

The strength seems high. Not sure if having great strength was part of their lore, but they have the strength of a huge creature and they are only large in size

I would think its bite would only be 5ft reach as well.

Tentacles - I like the exhaustion condition - not used enough IMHO.

Healing consumption - really like this one, suitable horrific

Pretty cool - thanks for sharing!

Jimbro

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback! Here's my reasoning below, just so you know I was thinking about these things!

I do a lot of my CR calculation by looking at other creatures of the same CR rather than using the guide in the DMG, since many of the creatures in the MM don't fit into the DMG guide.

The hire CR comes from some of the spells and combos that could be used (time stop + healing consumption is bad news).

I gave the longer reach since the moonbeast is pretty stretchy and can shrink/grow.

I'm gonna playtest this guy with my PCs and see if the challenge is close to right, so I'll definitely be updating!

dave2008

Legend
Thanks for the feedback! Here's my reasoning below, just so you know I was thinking about these things!

I do a lot of my CR calculation by looking at other creatures of the same CR rather than using the guide in the DMG, since many of the creatures in the MM don't fit into the DMG guide.

The hire CR comes from some of the spells and combos that could be used (time stop + healing consumption is bad news).

I gave the longer reach since the moonbeast is pretty stretchy and can shrink/grow.

I'm gonna playtest this guy with my PCs and see if the challenge is close to right, so I'll definitely be updating!

I agree the DMG and MM are sometimes off; however, if I look at a CR 16 Planatar it has similar Defense, but deals 2x as much damage per round and as many useful spells. No it doesn't have timestop, but I am not sure how well that synergizes with consumption, as written. You have not given the moonbeast a swallow action and I could be wrong. but I don't think timestop inflicts the unconscious condition.

Just some thoughts. I'm curious to hear how the playtest goes

dave2008

Legend
So I noticed that there's only 19 aberration stat blocks in the Monster Manual and that the highest CR aberration is a 14 (beholder in lair).

Aberrations are the big villains in my home campaign, some I'm converting some of Lovecraft's horrors to give me a greater gallery of evil to pull from. I began with the moonbeast. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2016/03/02/adding-aberrations-moonbeast/

by the way, what are the classic D&D aberrations that are not in the MM. Actual D&D aberrations, not converted CoC monsters. I'm just not that familiar to be honest.

Jimbro

Explorer
by the way, what are the classic D&D aberrations that are not in the MM. Actual D&D aberrations, not converted CoC monsters. I'm just not that familiar to be honest.

I don't think there's any classic aberrations missing, but I do think there's ONLY the classics. I love the MM and there's tons of choices, but for my game personally I needed some more monsters of the type. Since others could be in the same boat, I decided to share mine.

dave2008

Legend
I don't think there's any classic aberrations missing, but I do think there's ONLY the classics. I love the MM and there's tons of choices, but for my game personally I needed some more monsters of the type. Since others could be in the same boat, I decided to share mine.

I guess the next question is what makes an aberation an aberation. What niche do you need filled? It seems your looking for higher CR aberrations. From the Cthulhu Mythos: the spawn of shub-niggurath, a dhole (could probably just use a purple worm), elder Things, Flying Polyps, the Great Race of Yith? Hounds of Tindalos?

Is there something outside of the Cthulhu mythos? A Aboleth Lord maybe? Maybe the proteans from BECMI? Or evan the draeden? I've made stats for both of those the ight fit for epic level threats.

Jimbro

Explorer
Definitely a worthy question. According to the MM and DM Basic Rules:

"Aberrations are utterly alien beings. Many of them have innate magical abilities drawn from the creature’s alien mind rather than the mystical forces of the world. The quintessential aberrations are aboleths, beholders, mind flayers, and slaadi."

Any of the options you've listed would work. Currently working on a Hound of Tindalos. Elder Things are also on the list. And I agree - you can definitely go outside the Cthlhu Mythos. I went to Star Wars for inspiration!

Remove ads