D&D 5E Bel - Not Your Average Pit Fiend

NotActuallyTim

First Post
Technically he would still be overpowered, but he would be much closer and a more realistic threat for high end optimized party.

It really depends a several factors. An all melee party would still be messed up by even a 10 ft cone, while an all ranged party of magical longbow users with evasion, max dex, dex save profiency and indomitable might be able to deal with the 90 ft cone without taking any damage at all. A bunch of Rangers with generic 'magic bows' could do much better against a 90 ft cone spraying Bel than, say, an all melee paladin group.

Unless everybody is trapped in 20 ft by 20 ft room for the entire fight, you know? :p

dave2008

Legend
It really depends a several factors. An all melee party would still be messed up by even a 10 ft cone, while an all ranged party of magical longbow users with evasion, max dex, dex save profiency and indomitable might be able to deal with the 90 ft cone without taking any damage at all. A bunch of Rangers with generic 'magic bows' could do much better against a 90 ft cone spraying Bel than, say, an all melee paladin group.

Unless everybody is trapped in 20 ft by 20 ft room for the entire fight, you know? :p

This Bel has decent movement (40ft + up to 90 ft of teleport) and meteor swarm, so he could handle ranged combatants fairly well. Plus, I don't think Jimbro plans to use him in a situation where he can just be snipped from distance.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
Meteor swarm = 1 mile range

Plus, at disadvantage and with an AC of 25 I don't think Bel is overly worried about the longbow.

Once per day. Protection from energy! Evasion!

Sharpshooter feat! Other words with exclamation points after them!

Anyway, the point is the reason why a 90 ft cone is overkill is based on assumptions about the party in question. Most parties probably have a problem with it, but not all them. So just reducing the cone range is reasonable way to tone down the damage.

Dausuul

Legend
I freaked out and rushed to check the PDF just to make sure I hadn't missed whether or not Bel had that spell. It's ok everybody! He doesn't have Forcecage! :cool:
True. But he has minions, right? One of them might have forcecage... the devil equivalent of this guy:

images-3.jpeg

Along with a pack of minor devils chanting "TWO MEN ENTER! ONE MAN LEAVES! TWO MEN ENTER! ONE MAN LEAVES!"

Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons: Beyond Thundercage. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads