Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:

D&D has become the 40 year old guy who still wears his highschool football letterman jacket every day and spends his nights sitting in a recliner drinking Bud Light and flipping through his senior yearbook with tears in his eyes thinking "those were the days."
And during the day he is the Coach of the football team of that same high school, leading them to the state championship!

Sammael

Adventurer
When Matt Mercer sits down to run a D&D session on twitch something like 1 million people will watch, many live plays have several more millions of views on youtube later. The audience on those shows and mediums skews heavily towards under-30, to say the least.
Well, as I said, it's my advanced age (37) ;) the very concept of twitch boggles my mind - why the blazes would I want to watch other people play games when I can play them myself? But I know I'm hopelessly out of date.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Well, as I said, it's my advanced age (37) ;) the very concept of twitch boggles my mind - why the blazes would I want to watch other people play games when I can play them myself? But I know I'm hopelessly out of date.

Is 37 really "advanced" age? What does that even mean, like Advanced D&D? :.-(

Anyways, I am very out of date on very many things, but I like podcasts and recently some of these youtube videos (though ironically not Matt Mercer's Critical Role I mentioned), as I listen to them when doing other stuff, like driving.

Why do ppl watch football on TV instead of playing it themselves? I guess it's the same reason.

I'm 38, and a follower of Critical Role. I watch (well, listen to) CR every week, not only because it's enjoyable, but I also learned A LOT about DMing by following Matt.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I would have preferred something in the same vein, but with new material. Still, I have no doubt I can mine this, so it'll be added to the shelf.

wedgeski

Adventurer
You're 37 but you're talking as if you're 77! :)

I'm well into my 40's and I spend a large portion of my leisure time either watching these things or having them on in background (live D&D is particularly good for the latter). Starcraft, Heroes of the Storm, D&D, even X-Wing battle reports! Not to mention multiple board-game streams. A great way to unwind and chill out, too.

Staffan

Legend
Princes of the Apocalypse is a rehash of Temple of Elemental Evil I believe?

Not really. It shares the concept of "cultists worshiping Elemental Evil in a semi-shared dungeon and not liking one another", but beyond that they're highly different.

D&D has been around for over 40 years. It would be very difficult to make adventures that don't use some of the same themes as old ones. I mean, back in the 90s we had an adventure trilogy about reclaiming one of the Dales from Zhentish occupation - does that mean that any adventure dealing with occupying invaders and/or the Zhentarim is a "rehash"? The 90s saw Night Below, where adventurers figure out what's up in the barony of Haranshire and pursue the baddies (that turn out to be a mind flayer/aboleth alliance) to their underground city - does that mean any adventure set in the Underdark, or dealing with Mind Flayers or Aboleths, is a rehash? You also had Dragon Mountain, a former dwarven fortress mostly occupied by kobolds bossed around by a dragon - does that mean that any dungeon featuring plenty of traps, kobolds, and/or a red dragon at its heart is a rehash?

Not using some of the most iconic concepts of D&D would be like rebooting Spider-Man, but insisting on only using new villains instead of Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, the Lizard, Kraven, Electro, or Venom. At the same time, only using these would be dull too, you need something new in there. But totally eschewing going back to old concepts is just dumb and counter-productive.

Now, Tales of the Yawning Portal is explicitly a "remastering" of old modules. Curse of Strahd, likewise. But Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat, Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, and Storm King's Thunder are new things.

from twitter [MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford A thing I dig in Tales from the Yawning Portal: tips for setting the adventures in various worlds—particularly FR, GH, DL & EB.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Listen here, Henwen... :rant:

You know I love you, Ari. :)

More seriously, some people don't agree with Gygax's original intent for the module, but to me it works best as an iconic example, the Ur-"killer dungeon" from which the concept flows, and the number of people who get to the end are counted on one hand - even if it's bad for business from a common sense perspective. Its whole mystique is built on being nearly unplayable.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases