What are you reading? - October 2017

The earliest door-stopper size book I can remember reading would be The Stand complete and unabridged hardback. That was back in fourth grade, n one could believe I was reading it not even the teacher.

After finishing Runaway Jury, I haven't decided what to read next.

Jhaelen

First Post
The earliest door-stopper size book I can remember reading would be The Stand complete and unabridged hardback.
That was the book I read to _really_ learn English. It marks the point when I stopped looking up every unknown word and translating every sentence into German in my mind. Instead I started to get the meaning of words and sentences directly, often without being able to actually translate it.

Oh, and of course it was the AD&D books that were my original main incentive, the reason I wanted to get better at reading English texts. In 5th grade my DM lent me a binder containing a photocopied PHB and 'Deities & Demigods'. Naturally, he warned me not to look into the latter which only increased my curiosity. I was particularly fascinated by the Mythos chapter detailing several Great Old Ones and their spawn. I think, this was my first contact with Lovecraft's work.

My English teacher would later start to wonder about some odd additions to my vocabulary, and Gary Gygax' writing style also rubbed off a bit.

It didn't take me long to prefer reading the English original texts whenever possible, which weren't always easy to get back then. Again, this preference was reinforced by the annoyingly bad translations the AD&D books received when they were translated for the German market.

Ah, these were truly great times! To discover these unknown worlds, formerly hidden behind a language barrier, for the first time :)

That was the book I read to _really_ learn English. It marks the point when I stopped looking up every unknown word and translating every sentence into German in my mind. Instead I started to get the meaning of words and sentences directly, often without being able to actually translate it.

Wow...and now I have two copies of it, an abridge edition hardback (used) and a more recent paperback unabridged. If I were to read it again, I'd more than likely get the kindle edition as I've done for other door stopper size books. lol

Finished Emperor of Thorns. The ending was one of those endings that had to happen, even if you’re not entirely happy about. So good.

Now it’s back to the Wheel of Time, with The Dragon Reborn.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been reading your posts for a long time [MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION], and I never would have guessed that English wasn't your first language. You have a great command of English as well as use of idiom.

Jhaelen

First Post
I've been reading your posts for a long time [MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION], and I never would have guessed that English wasn't your first language. You have a great command of English as well as use of idiom.
Why, thank you! (Good thing you can't see me blushing...)

There's still lots of room for further improvement, though :) I enjoy challenging myself with English books that are somewhat hard to read from time to time, e.g.:
- China Miéville is great, especially 'Embassytown', since it's also _about_ language (, or rather Language).
- Steven Erikson's Malazan books - so far I've only read the first four.

I've also delved into some classics, e.g.:
- John Milton's 'Paradise Lost'
- James Joyce's 'Ulysses' (contains parts that are _really_ hard to read)
- William Faulkner's 'Absalom, Absalom! (which I deemed unreadable and gave up on after the first 15 page long sentence...)

Since I'm almost done with 'Eyes of the Stone Thief', I'll soon need to pick up a few new books to read.

Now, that Kazuo Ishiguro was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature this year, I've decided it's about time I read something written by him.
I was quite impressed by the movie 'Never Let Me Go' based on one of his novels, but 'The Buried Giant' also seems to be quite interesting.

Does anyone have some other good recommendations?

W.S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch is one of the more challenging reads I know of, for a number of reasons.

As far as genre works go, there's Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. He uses some really obscure, antiquated words, along with a sometimes unreliable narrator, giving it a dream-like quality at times. People say it's best read twice, and I would agree.

On the converse, Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (err, at least the 2.5 of them that have been published) is suffused with a love of language that makes for some gorgeous prose.

Does anyone have some other good recommendations?

Jhaelen

First Post
W.S. Burroughs' Naked Lunch is one of the more challenging reads I know of, for a number of reasons.
That's a good suggestion, I think. I've seen the film adaptation, so I think this should be interesting...

As far as genre works go, there's Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. He uses some really obscure, antiquated words, along with a sometimes unreliable narrator, giving it a dream-like quality at times. People say it's best read twice, and I would agree.
I've already read these, thanks. But it's good you're mentioning the 'unreliable narrator': That's something I enjoy _a lot_ in novels. It's why I decided to read everything written by Christopher Priest (of 'The Prestige' fame).

On the converse, Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (err, at least the 2.5 of them that have been published) is suffused with a love of language that makes for some gorgeous prose.
It's been recommended to me before, but I'm avoiding to read it for now. I prefer to wait until it's been published in its entirety.

To bridge over the time until I get my new novels, I picked up the next 'Lone Wolf' game book (by Joe Dever - may he rest in peace) I hadn't played yet: 'The Legcay of Vashna'.

I’m a big early Cronenberg fan, and love the film, too. It draws from Burroughs life as much as it does Naked Lunch. The book is a bit more…chaotic.

As far as unreliable narrators go, American Psycho is a favorite of mine. Debatably, so are the first two of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles.

I totally get waiting for the finishing of the Kingkiller Chronicles. Here’s hoping it’s sometime soon!

That's a good suggestion, I think. I've seen the film adaptation, so I think this should be interesting...

I've already read these, thanks. But it's good you're mentioning the 'unreliable narrator': That's something I enjoy _a lot_ in novels. It's why I decided to read everything written by Christopher Priest (of 'The Prestige' fame).

It's been recommended to me before, but I'm avoiding to read it for now. I prefer to wait until it's been published in its entirety.

To bridge over the time until I get my new novels, I picked up the next 'Lone Wolf' game book (by Joe Dever - may he rest in peace) I hadn't played yet: 'The Legcay of Vashna'.

Remove ads