Kris' all new miniature thread

Kris

Adventurer
Struggling to get an OK photo of these ...so this will have to do:

spiders.jpg

These are the first mini's I've (speed) painted from the new(ish) Nolzur's Marvellous Miniatures range, and while the sculpts are great I have a few issues:

Pros:
Great sculpts/poses - plus, with the inclusion of the web-covered humanoids, it's like getting everything you need to run a little mini-encounter in one box (though you're actually supposed to use the bodies on one of the bases).

They're also pretty cheap :)

Cons:
Flash/mould-lines ...which are more of a pain than usual because of the material, and because the minis come pre-primed (so once you clean them up, they'll probably need a bit of re-priming anyway).

Bases are a bit too small (I've used 30mm mdf bases instead of the ones supplied).

Plus I generally don't like pre-primed mini's (I usually prime in black in any case) ...plus it seems as though the primer has gone on a little thick on some of the other miniatures I've bought from this range.

The 2nd piece of 'base decoration' you get with these spiders is essentially useless.

But on the whole, I'd say they're not too bad (despite my misgivings), and I actually prefer them to the similar sized reaper bones ones I have.

Kris

Adventurer
Oh, and just in case anyone's wondering how I make the little terrain pieces in the background ...I started a youtube channel at the beginning of the year, and I'm posting a few tutorials over there (featuring some of my 'artwork') when I get the time.

Here's the latest one as a bit of a sampler (apologies for the accent :p ).

[video=youtube_share;jviJcFbpxwk]https://youtu.be/jviJcFbpxwk[/video]

JonnyP71

Explorer
I play a weekly game with Kris and can confirm that his painting looks even better in the flesh than it does on here...

It puts my amateurish attempts to shame!

Kris

Adventurer
I play a weekly game with Kris and can confirm that his painting looks even better in the flesh than it does on here...

It puts my amateurish attempts to shame!

Oh no... you've spotted my thread (I'll have to watch what I post here from now on :p )

Seriously though, there's always room for another miniature thread (hint, hint).

Remove ads