D&D 5E Starter Set Excerpt 2 -- Equipment

Paraxis

Explorer
Tool proficiencies are not redundant. There are no riding or disable device skills. Instead there are tool proficiencies like Mounts (land) and Thieves Tools. What's the difference? For one, a level 5 Bard can add 1/2 his proficiency bonus to any untrained SKILL check. Nothing mentioned about tools.

I didn't call them redundant, they are pointless. They should have put in the riding skill, and thievery skill.

The difference is it adds a pointless component to the game, extra layer of complexity. Who cares if bards get 1/2 proficiency bonus to using a deck of cards or a healers kit...would it hurt someones game if they just got 1/2 bonus to gambling skill and medicine skill.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I didn't call them redundant, they are pointless. They should have put in the riding skill, and thievery skill.

The difference is it adds a pointless component to the game, extra layer of complexity. Who cares if bards get 1/2 proficiency bonus to using a deck of cards or a healers kit...would it hurt someones game if they just got 1/2 bonus to gambling skill and medicine skill.
I should have explained my point better. I used the Bard as an example, I didn't search through the playtest docs for other instances of distinction. However it allows for it to be used in other situations where it may be more important. Maybe they don't want the Bard to get half proficiency in picking locks unless they have that skill from their background. Maybe attempting a check with a tool without proficiency will always be at disadvantage, just like weapons. We will have to see the final rules.

I'm sorry if you thought I was talking about your statements when I stated the tools were not redundant.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Playing cards... Lanterns... Meals... I thought the game was called DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. This is a disservice to the game. Couldn't they have shown something a little more exciting?

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
On gold vs. silver - I view it as the economy is run on silver, but the PCs have to pay inflated prices. Why? Well, they are murder-hobos. The prices are x10 to account for the risk of dealing with them, scarcity of some of the items they are buying (how many blacksmiths are going to have a fauchard fork lying around?) and the fact they are "not from around here" (ie, tourists).

In other words, you give the fair deal with the people that live around you. You screw the hell out of the rich out-of-towners.
Good, except that, according to 5e, PC now have a plave in the world (that is the whole point of backgrunds and bonds not allof them will be adventurers.

am181d

Adventurer

But there are some areas of overlap. Consider Disguise Kit and Deception, for example.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I don't know what you mean by "philosophically", I think some people rather have an issue with "gold" being maybe too common and not match realistic values.

However, just don't think "gold piece" has to equate exactly with a coin of solid gold, and the issue is already lessened.

Once you accept that a dragon can have a mound of gold big enough to sleep on it really doesn't matter anymore.

Holy Bovine

First Post
[SIZE][FONTCalibri][FONTCalibri][COLOR#000000]Playing cards... Lanterns... Meals... I thought the game was called DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. This is a disservice to the game. Couldn't they have shown something a little more exciting?[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]

Might want to cut out the extra formatting/sizing/colour changes there, sport.

Remove ads