New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

So, it's looking a lot like a "since our adventures take place in this region, here is the basic background for DMs and players to use" book. Which, while basic, is nice - there are a lot of options I've seen so far that I and my players may want to use. But I hold out hope that a full-fledged campaign setting book will still be in the works for those of us who would like to see the Realms fleshed out in fuller detail...

Li Shenron

Legend
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm actually GLAD they don't have a new subclass for each class. It potentially shows that wotc isn't looking to force an idea for the sake of symmetry but rather stuck with what was flavorful and inspired for the concept of the book.

In my opinion , designing subclasses purely for the purpose of 'filling out symmetry of all classes getting included" is just begging for half assed things that aren't really inspired by concept but are shoe horned in. I mean one doesn't mean th other will happen but it's definitely knocking on the door in that direction if it did.

It's not a matter of symmetry at all in this case, it's a matter of range of options.

I have been advocating the need for at least 3 subclasses per class, and at the same time I've said I'd like at least a dozen clerical domains, and half a dozen rogue subclasses. IMHO there is a huge psychological difference between having 2 options and having 3. Two options feel a bit like a ultimatum: be this or be that :) Three is a range. But beside these (probably unfounded) psychology remarks, Bards and Rangers could seriously benefit from more options, given the fact that they are the 2 classes most discussed about even their concept. At the same time, I don't think Druids need a third subclass because Druids of the Land actually have 8 sub-suboptions, and Barbarians could similarly just get a few more totem animals and they'd be fine.

Li Shenron

Legend
As I said in the deleted thread, Bards in particular are hard to design for with only three subclass levels.

Well... on one hand it might be hard to think of a Bard subclass concept with only 3 levels worth of features to represent it, but on the other hand it should obviously be easier to design and playtest 3 features rather than more :)

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Have there been any screen shots or detailed information on the new warlock patron? I have a one shot this weekend and it would be fun to do something new.

MindxKiller

Explorer
Barbarians could similarly just get a few more totem animals and they'd be fine.

The issue with this is that not all barbarians want to be totem warriors because of the fluff surrounding spirit animals, and the berserker has such a huge penalty that it's weak unless you have very few combats per day. Barbarians definitely need more than just new totem spirits, and the new barbarian archetype is a step in the right direction as far as including more options (Haven't seen the actual numbers or anything so I cant comment on its effectiveness.) Though I'm an advocate for EVERY class receiving more options.

Serpine

Explorer
Well... on one hand it might be hard to think of a Bard subclass concept with only 3 levels worth of features to represent it, but on the other hand it should obviously be easier to design and playtest 3 features rather than more :)

A lot of the old Bard kits from the 2e Complete Handbook only had a very small list of signature abilities to work with. They could probably be used to inspire the progression of a host of bards. For instance:

* Gallant: 3rd {Lance, Medium Armor, Shield // Poetic Charm: Advantage to romantic Persuasion, Charm person Considered Non-Magical Ritual}, 6th {Heavy Armor // Essense of Purity: Reroll saves that would result in death 0 HP, Fight for d4 after reaching 0 HP}, 14th {Code of the Gallant: Bardic inspiration to boost own damage or AC}).

* Jester: 3rd {Jesting: Communicate with body language on performance check. Enemy within 30' must save or attempt to head for and throttle jester // Joking: Advantage checks to change moods.}, 6th {Fool's Luck: Bardic inspiration to boost own save, ability check, or AC // Joking allows those nearby another save vs fear condition}, 14th {Jester's Mind: Immune to insanity, Double save prof bonus vs enchantment / charm}

Prism

Explorer
I don't have a copy but from reading the thread...thanks to @Prism's remarkable patience...I can confidently say the following with a fair degree of certitude of being correct:

1. The gods' stuff is in the gods' section.
2. There is no "timeline" stuff in the gods' section [see below, responding to your own question].
3. There is very little to no lore for any deities except the ones in the human pantheon.
4. Non-human gods (yes, that includes the drow...they have been listed for us) get a) a list of the gods, b) what they are the gods of, c) limited lore for a major deity or two but most have none, and d) at least some kind of short general intro to the pantheon.

I'll just add to that and say the main gods section is pretty good. You get about three gods per page and get all sorts of details about the deity, followers, ethos and legends. Really good stuff to help someone choose a god for their character. I'm not sure how much if anything is new beyond what was already printed in previous editions.

Prism

Explorer
How does the "regain HP on death saving throw" compare to the Necromancer's Grim Harvest or the Fiendlock's Blessing of the Dark One? How much healing, and at what level does it come online?

Is there anything to stop you from casting Spare the Dying, then knifing the now-stabilized creature to start it bleeding again, and then casting Spare the Dying all over again?

its just once per long rest. Its 1d8+con

Maybe it's just me, but no air/food/water/sleep sounds frankly awesome. What level is that at?

That's at 10th level

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases