D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything gets the Shadow Sorcerer

Oofta

Legend
Personally I was thinking more Raistlin than some whiny goth kid.

The whiny goth kid probably thinks they are playing Raistlin. :p

Don't get me wrong, in the right hands and the right game it might be fun. The gal who plays Strix on Dice Camera Action plays this kind of character ... but she has a sense of fun about playing it that bleeds through.

Anyway I'm done with my cranky old man bit. Feel free to resume explaining how you're so excited to play a clinically depressed moping flop of misery. :)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The whiny goth kid probably thinks they are playing Raistlin. :p

Don't get me wrong, in the right hands and the right game it might be fun. The gal who plays Strix on Dice Camera Action plays this kind of character ... but she has a sense of fun about playing it that bleeds through.

Anyway I'm done with my cranky old man bit. Feel free to resume explaining how you're so excited to play a clinically depressed moping flop of misery. :)

I think Mearls did a decent job highlighting the Dark Humor potential. This is what I would stress if one of my players wanted to go down this route.

Ketser

First Post
Weird thought, but could you mount the Shadow Hound?

Although it has the stats of a dire wolf, its size medium. So you would need to be a halfling, gnome or a member of another small race. Its ability to move through objects and creatures is written a lot like the incorporeal quality on a lot of creatures, so depending the DM, it can become a lot greater complication.

Mmmm... i now want to play an extremely edgelordy halfling sorcerer(shadow)/fighter(cavalier), who rides on his summon or a shadow mastiff...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I was never so keen on the Hound part of the class, bud it does work for a Malazan Warren of Shadow character.

I'm still hoping we get the Stone Sorcerer.

The stone sorcerer was a cool subclass, although I felt like the name of the subclass needed a change. Doesn't really feel like a sorcerer focused on stone.

Remove ads