Acquisitions Inc. Livestreamed D&D Game

Over the weekend at PAX East, WotC's Chris Perkins ran the Acquisitions Inc. celebrity D&D game, which was livestreamed on the web. "Our entrepreneurial heroes look forward to some much needed R&R in Baldur’s Gate after having rescued four bronze dragon eggs from a nefarious green dragon duo. Brace for impact as Jim Darkmagic (Mike Krahulik), Omin Dran (Jerry Holkins), Binwin Bronzebottom (Scott Kurtz), and Viari (Patrick Rothfuss) team up with Dungeon Master Chris Perkins to defend the honor of Acquisitions Inc’s newest chapter house against the rise of Elemental Evil."

Over the weekend at PAX East, WotC's Chris Perkins ran the Acquisitions Inc. celebrity D&D game, which was livestreamed on the web. "Our entrepreneurial heroes look forward to some much needed R&R in Baldur’s Gate after having rescued four bronze dragon eggs from a nefarious green dragon duo. Brace for impact as Jim Darkmagic (Mike Krahulik), Omin Dran (Jerry Holkins), Binwin Bronzebottom (Scott Kurtz), and Viari (Patrick Rothfuss) team up with Dungeon Master Chris Perkins to defend the honor of Acquisitions Inc’s newest chapter house against the rise of Elemental Evil."

Click on the photo below to jump to the archived video footage. It's about 2-hours long, and contains some adult language.

pax.jpg

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I know they're a pain in the butt, but I miss the costumes. I mean, look at this:

Recent-and-PAX-116.jpg

Note: Chris Perkins obviously has a better PR person than Beyonce; it was very difficult to find a good picture of him as the cartoon character "Dungeon Master."

pedr

Explorer
I think the pattern is that they do the full production for Pax Prime and play more casually at Pax East. Which makes sense as it'd be expensive to get all the props to Boston.

Jack99

Adventurer
Kinda weak :(
I get that they are having fun (or at least some of them seem to have fun), but if you show off 5e, you should at least somewhat run things by the rules. /shrug

Henry

Autoexreginated
Showing off 5e rules is waaaaaay down the list of things they hope to accomplish with these things.
Agreed - they know how to work their audience, for certain. :) Prior to these things, if you told me that there would one day be a gathering of 1,000 people in an auditorium to WATCH PEOPLE PLAY D&D, and having a great time, I'd have said you were daft.

[sing-song]"double-axe to the back!"[/sing-song]

Last edited by a moderator:

agrayday

Explorer
Wow,

Of all the Chris Perkins GM's games I have seen in person and on video, this just didn't seem up to snuff. Maybe its the short staff and long hours at the office, but throwing in a moving room mechanism with some "Robot" guys to fend off the bad miniatures on the table was pretty boring if you ask me. If you watch the body language of the players they even seem a bit bored, The only time they are having fun is cracking jokes less about the story and more about come backs, or character snappy hooks.

They are on a stage, I would presume the story and roleplaying efforts would be more to highlight vs rolling dice amongst a pile of miniatures. There were some characters (not really developed) and some story elements but I think the last hour of dice rolling was dull.

I was hoping for a little more intrigue, I was really planning on Chris Perkins set up at the beginning would have them adventuring under their lair, with some intrigue, some story telling, with a fancy hook to tie in these people who have invaded their turf.

a well, I hope the Pax Prime setup is much better as far as story.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Kinda weak :(
I get that they are having fun (or at least some of them seem to have fun), but if you show off 5e, you should at least somewhat run things by the rules. /shrug
These games are not your usual D&D games. They often have crazy stuff, like mecha-beholders, incredibly dumb robots, and crazy NPC's.

Oh wait, those are "normal" D&D games. :cool:

But anyway, they seem designed less with the rules in mind and more with being fun for the players and entertaining for the audience. The players are all entertainers first and whatever else second.

Remove ads

Remove ads